ECOTRICITY FAST CHARGING POINTS

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANDY4004

In the UK a company called ECOTRICITY has installed Fast charging points in Welcome Break Services. They plan to install them in all their Service stations and are making good progress, especially along the M4 Motorway , although one recently installed at Cardiff Gate has been vandalised I decided to try one of these out yesterday, as they have recently sent me a swipe card. Drove 70 Miles keeping to 50mph, I found that Trucks tailgated me really closely on Motorway as they couldn't pass me. Anyway arrived at Sarn Park Welcome Break,and located charging point, However I had a lot of problems. It kept giving me the message can't initialise. Eventually managed to start charging and then it stopped 3/4 way through charge, and had this problem again. This might be because I turned on ignition whilst charging to wind down the window. Managed to charge to 96% and then found out I couldn't get the Fast charge Lead out of the car. Anyway got it out eventually. I set the charger to charge the battery to 80%, however when I finished charging the display showed that the battery was charged to 96%. I think the 96% must relate to how much of the 80% of the battery had been charged. On the Journey up there which was 70 Miles I arrived with 3 Bars left. However on the return Journey I just made it Home with 1 mile left and no Bars. This is the first time I have ever used a fast charging point, and don't plan to use one regulary . However it was a bit of an experience, and if it wouldn't have charged I'd have been stuck.

I've found the CHAdeMO handles to be pretty unwieldy and require a lot of patience. The handshake process takes a long time and I think it can get confused if you turn the ignition switch to ACCessory position. There's a barely-noticeable red LED in the handle that must switch off before the interlock is released to allow handle removal, and the LED stays lit for several seconds after the charging station declares that you are done.

I remember ev-tv.me experimenting with "fast charging" some time ago. They noticed a charge to 80% actually got them more than 90%. Besides, looking for temperature they found normal charging always is overcharging, so fast charging might even be better for the batteries than normal charging.

Cheers
Peter and Karin

In the U.K. there is a half useable infrastructure of Rapid (ChaDEmo) chargers that have been installed by ECOTRICITY.

Everywhere else there are Fast/Slow chargers which charge at 32 amps / 13 amps, with the i-MiEV the 32 amp chargers will only charge at 13 amps.

Is there anybody out there who knows of any way to connect the i-MiEV so that it will draw the full 32 amps as that would be a great improvement when not destination charging, at the moment if there isn't a Rapid charger available it can take over 5 1/2 hours waiting for a get home charge, I know I've done it ?

I would be prepared to pay quite a lot of money for the ability to charge at 32 amps.

The charging circuitry built in to the car will only draw a maximum of 3,300 watts of power, which at UK voltage is just over 13 amps. I'm pretty sure no-one has managed to get around this limitation, as it would require replacing the onboard charger - not a trivial task

I like the Eaton approach to CHAdeMO. They use 10 kW modules, stacked like computer servers in a rack. If memory serves, you can get the basic cabinet with one module for around $12k, and then add modules to meet your need or capacity. 10,20,30,40, or 50 kW- pick your size. Then you also have redundant components and some failures neednt be "all or nothing"...
http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Electrical/ProductsandServices/ElectricalDistribution/ElectricVehicleChargingSolutions/DCQuickCharger/index.htm#tabs-2

I just got an E-Mail from Ecotricity regarding my experience at Sarn Park. They pointed out to me ,as somebody has already said that there is a red light on the handle of the plug which is barely visible which takes a minute or so to go out after finishing charging, and only then can you disconnect the Plug from car. They also said to me that as the charger displayed 96% charged, that is what the battery was actually charged to despite me programming it to 80%. Im not sure if this is the right answer. Will the on board charger let the battery charge to 96% of its capacity? I think the reason that the charger cut off half way through charging when it was 75% charged, might be related to what it says in the I Miev handbook, under Fast Charging It states quote " Charging may be completed before full charge. This is a control for efficient charge and not a malefaction" When I left Home fully charged to make this journey I arrived at Sarn Parks charging point with 3 bars left.After charging I drove the same route home, same speed etc and arrived home with no Bars showing. This makes me question the 96% which the charger showed it had charged. When charging from Home Im sure the on board charger dose not let it charge to over 80%, but i may be wrong

Back