Airbag Warning Light

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PV1

Staff member
My airbag warning light is lit up on the dashboard. It wasn't lit up when the car was parked last night. Nothing hit it, the only thing we did was clean it. Any ideas? Surely ArmorAll on the dashboard shouldn't cause it (it didn't get down inside the airbag module)

They won't deploy, will they?

The airbag system is covered under the warranty - I'd take it to the dealer and let them sort it out

Don

Wires look OK. Maybe a fault from cold temperatures? It was pretty cold last night.

Can a store like Advance Auto read the i?

I'm wondering if my car ever had the airbag recall done. The dealer didn't say anything about it, and it didn't show up in their computer. Wasn't that recall for a sensor?

I'll find out for sure. The local Auto Zone is open until 7. If that don't work, there is a dealer close by that may help tomorrow.

Is there a fuse for the airbags?

Just take it to the dealer and have them sort it out. With the MUT III, they can figure out what caused it, when it happened, and which sensor was involved. The airbag controller sets hard codes that don't go away with normal scan tools "clear codes" or disconnection of the battery. I found this out the hard way by accidentally turning on the key with the passenger seat out and setting the code. Cost me a trip to the dealer to get the light out.

Yeah. Auto Zone was no help. Their reader only does Check Engine lights :roll: (I didn't bother telling them I don't have a Check Engine light...in the conventional sense :mrgreen: ). Scheduling a trip to the closest dealer (not the one I purchased from, but I don't have a whole day to spend to go to that one).

I was wondering if the OBDLink app and the OBDLink MX adapter would be able to clear the code, but siai47 cleared it up that it won't work (pretty much requiring a MUT-III).

I saw in the manual something about a "Driver's Seat Position Sensor". I wonder if this could've caused it since the seat was moved around while the car was being cleaned. I looked under the seat last night and couldn't find it. There doesn't seem to be enough wires going to the seat for this extra sensor anyway. I can't see how the seat heater is working on those tiny wires.

PS. Is anyone else's manual missing pages 2-41 to 2-56? They're not torn out or anything, just not there. :shock: :? :?:

I've got all the pages. BTW---page 2-41 is the one that describes the seat position sensor. It is used to determine where the drivers seat is located to see how hard the airbags are going to wack you if you run into something immovable. If there is a problem with the sensor the SRS warning light will come on (according to the pages you don't have. The warning light indicates a problem with either the airbags or the seatbelt pre-tensioners. The book says if the warning light stays on "you should immediately have it inspected by a certified i-MiEV dealer:" Those little wires, protected by a 20 amp fuse, are going to the seat heater. I am amazed at how small the wiring in this car is. Maybe part of the way the car heats in the winter is radiant heat from all the wiring in the cabin. At least the wires seem to have a good high temperature covering on them.

Finally got an appointment with a dealer. Tried to get the closer dealer, but have been rescheduled three or four times, so I called the dealer where I purchased the car and got an appointment on the first try. Dropped the car off today and got back the results.

"B1418 - Front Left Impact Sensor Faulty
Ordered Left Front Impact Sensor"

I don't know if they replaced the sensor or just ordered one, but for now, the light is off. They also looked at my manual and switched it with one of their loaner i-MiEVs. I now have the missing pages. I guess I got the lucky book of one of the 261 i-MiEVs recalled for a faulty airbag sensor.

On the plus side, the trip to the dealer (46 miles) is getting increasingly more efficient. The first trip used 15 bars, the next trip 11 bars, and this time 10 bars.

Had a hard rain yesterday while I was charging at a Nissan dealer and now my light is back on. The first time the light come on, I washed the car. it looks like water is getting into a connector. Does anyone know where the impact sensors are, specifically the left front?

I wouldn't mess with the airbag sensors. Even if you were able to spot (and fix) the problem, the warning light will stay on until the dealer resets it with the MUT III scan tool. Sorry, but in this case it is best to let this get sorted out by the dealer.

I know. I just wanted to snoop around and point out any problems to them.

The sensor is front and center on a Cavalier, which means don't drop a wrench when opening the hood. :?

You can't see the sensors without removing the front bumper cover. They are mounted behind and above the front bumper bar reinforcement on the radiator/condensor support to the left and right of the radiator. I looked on a fully assembled car and even with a flashlight I couldn't see them--a mirror might have helped. The bumper cover comes off pretty easily (if you ever had to change a headlight bulb :twisted: ). So go for it if you want a look--it's good practice if you need to change a bulb. I would be suprised if there was a bad original and replacement sensor. Sounds like a harness or air bag controller issue.

Very recently, I had my airbag warning light pop up on my dash. One morning last week, I went out to unplug my car and head to work. When I depressed the silver button on top of the EVSE handle, I didn't get that usually "click" feeling that indicates it has unlocked from the socket. I tried it two or three times with the same result. I began to worry that my EVSE was somehow stuck on my car's outlet. However, after a slight jostle, the EVSE kind of fell off the socket into my hand. Turns out I must not have completely plugged the EVSE into the socket the previous evening. When I turned on my car, I only had 36 miles on the RR. Darn it! Turns out that is exactly what happened. I had not plugged it in all the way, and the car did not charge.

I still had enough range to get to and from work as long as I babied it. So, I headed out. I also noticed that my airbag warning light was on and staying on. It stayed on the whole way to work and also during the drive home. That night, I told my wife about it and said I was probably going to have to take it into the dealer to get it checked out. I plugged my car in and made SURE it was fully seated and the charging started.

The next morning, I had a full charge, but the airbag warning light was still on. I was going to call and make an appointment with the dealer once I got into work. But first, we had to drive over to my in-laws' house to drop off our girls as we do every morning. After the drop off, I started the i-MiEV, and after the initial full light-up of the display, the airbag warning light turned off. It stayed off for the entire drive to work. After work that evening, the airbag warning light came back on when I started the car, but it only stayed on for about a minute and then turned off. It has remained off ever since then.

So, I have no idea what caused the warning light to come on. It may or may not have been related to my faulty attempt to charge my car the one night. I don't know if I should worry about it now that it has remained off for several days. However, if it does pop back on, even if momentarily, I will probably take it into the dealer just to make sure nothing is wrong.

I would call the dealer's service department about the light. They may be able to figure out which sensor (or the controller itself) is causing the airbag warning light to illuminate. In my case I had removed the passenger seat and forgot to reconnect the wires going to the seat which set the light off. Reconnecting the wires still didn't get the light to go away and after a couple of days I took it to the dealer, confessed my sins and had them scan the vehicle. It reported that the right seat airbag connector had been disconnected. The mechanic said the controller must be cleared by the MUT III to get the light off even if the cause had been corrected. Your airbag warning light seems to be acting differently.

Called the dealer yesterday. They verified that they only read the code and ordered a sensor. I have to take the car back on the 7th to get it replaced.

RobbW said:
Turns out I must not have completely plugged the EVSE into the socket the previous evening. When I turned on my car, I only had 36 miles on the RR. Darn it! Turns out that is exactly what happened. I had not plugged it in all the way, and the car did not charge.
My wife has this problem regularly - If she plugs in the car, I've learned it's best for me to double-check it or there may not be enough charge for our next trip

Don

I have the same problem as siai47, I was tracing wires near the ignition switch and unplugged the wires from the back of the switch. When I turned the car back on after reconnecting the plug, the airbag light was on. Now, I've got to figure out how to go up to Hamilton to have the light cleared. Ugh, touchy little thing.

Back