Anyone here in upstate NY? [Albany /Capital District]

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blownb310

I am organizing local EV drivers for social and driving EV events and gatherings. I have started a new FaceBook group called the Albany Capital District EV Drivers.

Mission statement: To assemble a local group of EV enthusiasts to socialize, organize group outings at local car shows, and possibly put on some EV economy competitions and driving tours as well.

If there are any [battery electric or plug-in hybrid electric -any brand] EV drivers in a 60 or so mile radius of the capital region, please let them know about the group I am putting together. I know that there is at least one member here from Saratoga.

Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,

I live in Latham, I bought my MiEV in May 2012 from Mangino Mitsubishi. A few weeks ago I saw a white and blue MiEV driving north on Rte 9 while I was driving south, was that you?

Tony

tonymil said:
Hi Mike,

I live in Latham, I bought my MiEV in May 2012 from Mangino Mitsubishi. A few weeks ago I saw a white and blue MiEV driving north on Rte 9 while I was driving south, was that you?

Tony
Hi Tony,

Good to hear from you. No that wasn't me, but it was likely a former Goldstein Mitsubishi employee who is leasing a white/blue SE. I remember messaging you on this board back in March. I came very close to buying the white/blue SE that Schaller [in CT] had. I actually test drove it and put a down payment on it, but couldn't quite pull the trigger. Then I became smitten with the Fiat 500e and the Spark EV - both of which we can't get in NY. In the end it was the super lease deal that Honda came out with a month ago on the Fit EV that made my mind up. I have the only one in the capital district right now. I'll continue to keep visiting this forum though, as I'll always have a soft spot for the i-Miev. Have you seen the black one that RPI uses in Troy? There's a picture of it on the new FB Group page.

I hope you will click the join button for the Albany Capital District EV Drivers and meet our local EV enthusiasts. I am planning a get together on National Plug-in Day on September 29th. Perhaps you and your i-Miev could stop by that day. It would be great to meet you.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I am a Chevrolet Volt owner for a year now and just purchased a MiEV last month. I'm located in Hagaman NY (by Amsterdam) I'd like to join but I'm a teacher and decided that I would skip being a part of Facebook for now. I can PM you my email address and if you wouldn't mind keeping me informed I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Glenn

Welcome aboard Glenn. :)

I understand the no FB thing. I will gladly keep an email list going for non FB members to keep them in the loop.

Love the black color of your i-Miev. I have seen one other in NJ with those great looking side graphics. Where did you source those from please?

Mike

I ordered the graphics for the car from my dealership.
You can go to:
http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/imiev/12/graphics.do

Choose the graphics that you want and print the order out. Bring it to your dealership and they make an appointment to have 3M company come to the dealership and install the graphics. You can't purchase them yourself and install them. It has to be installed by 3M I was told.

I like to think that [in a small way] history was made here in Troy, NY yesterday. Probably for the first time, both sides of this dual port ChargePoint station at the RPI Field House were being used at the same time. I try to use public charging whenever I can, to substantiate the installation of these all important EV charging stations for us early EV adopters. Who knows, we might some day look back on these early days of EV's and say how awesome it used to be to find a vacant [and free] charging station any time we wanted. ;)

datestamp%20and%20logo.JPG

The Albany Capital District EV Driver's Group will be having their first meet up on National Plug-in Day, Sunday September 29th, at Guptill's Coney Express.

I volunteered to be our region's 'City Captain' and started planning the event this morning. So far I've got the Latham Smart Center on board to bring a Smart ED, Destination Nissan brining two Nissan Leafs, and Keeler Honda a new Accord plug-in for test drives. In anticipation of guests who will surely be asking me if there's anywhere to charge, I have contacted Nemith Nissan [1.1 miles south] and have been granted permission for us to use both of their level 2 chargers for the day. The Century House [.8 miles away] also has a Chargepoint station in their lot. They will bring a Leaf out for test drives as well. Additionally, Guptill's has many 110v outlets that we can use for trickle charging. The Guptill's facility has a huge fully paved lot that hosts car shows of over 500 vehicles, so space is not a problem. They also have a locally famous outdoor ice cream stand [Guptill's Coney Express] on the premises with ice cream available [as well as hot dogs.] There is fun for the whole family, as their giant indoor roller skating arena is the largest in the US.

Hours: 10:00 am to 5:00 pm.

Link to event page: http://pluginday.org/event.php?eventid=8

pialogo_0.jpg

Below are a few of the Albany Capital District EV Driver's Group cars that are coming to this event to date. Well, at least the ones I have picture of so far. :)

DSC03571_zps26e743dc.jpg

DavidTraverAdolphus_zps13fc991a.jpg

Tesla001_zps57224c2a.jpg

EVWorld005_zps963963bd.jpg

SmartEV006_zps4a9ff00b.jpg

There will be at least 5 Nissan Leafs, 2 Chevy Volts, and a Honda Accord plug-in as well.

Mike

Wow, you're bringing both your i-Miev and your Volt?

I'm getting excited Glenn!

I'm going to Guptill's this morning and checking out the electrical situation. I want to get some signs like this made as well.

images

I'm going to try to bring both but definitely the Volt. I'll wait back to hear from you if you think there will be a little bit of a charge there for me for the MiEV.
Thanks,
Glenn

gmarcucio said:
I'm going to try to bring both but definitely the Volt. I'll wait back to hear from you if you think there will be a little bit of a charge there for me for the MiEV.
Thanks,
Glenn
We'l have a large 220V generator and two level two chargers Glenn. You're covered. I can't imagine the event happening without your super clean i-Miev being there!

Mike

Here's an update on the upcoming Capital District EV Driver's Group event at Guptill's on the 29th.

The event link is here: National Plug-in Day EV car event

Electric Vehicles registered so far:

4 Nissan LEAF
3 Honda Fit EV
3 Smart ForTwo Electric Drive
2 Tesla Model S
2 Chevrolet Volt
1 Mitsubishi i [Hopefully tonymil will also bring his to make 2].
1 Ford Fusion Energi
1 Honda Accord Plug-In
1 Ford Focus Electric
1 Harley Davidson EV conversion motorcycle

New things are coming together every day now. Now we're going to have electric RC cars races as well. We have mini orange pylons to set up a course. We'll have EV music playing, ice cream, EV test drives, and EV parade, and group photo shoot. I have solar equipment venders coming, and charging station vender displays as well.

Heck, it's not out of the question that we'll have some "Electric Slide" line dancing going on too. :p

Well the Capital District EV Driver's Group's first ever EV event went great and we had three i-Mievs in attendance. :) The above picture even made it to the top of the Sierra Club's blog entry for the National Plug-in Day weekend recap.

Glenn Marcucio had the most impressive display by bringing both of his EV's plus a borrowed i-Miev dealership sign. He actually hauled the 6.5' tall sign in the back of his Volt! His wife followed him to the event in their nicely striped i-Miev.

These last two pics are of our fellow board member Tonymil's i-Miev. It was great to finally meet you Tony and thanks for coming out!

A few other pics from the event:

We had 31 EV's in attendance. Here we are lining them up for the parade.

Unfortunately, we didn't have any i-Mievs join us this time, but here is a report from our group's second outing and first drive event for my Capital District EV Driver's group, up to the summit of Mt. Greylock. This is the highest point in Massachusetts.

We had five EV's participate. Two Fit EV's, two Leafs, and one Smart ED. Our first order of business was to drive over to Bob's Country Kitchen in Lanesboro, MA for lunch.

The weather was perfect and we got some great pictures.

After enjoying the camaraderie at the summit and swapping stories, we all went our separate ways, but made a plan to reset our trip meters and try to record our rates of regeneration on the 8 mile decent to the lower visitor's center. Here's the raw data that I can offer from my Fit EV:

I left the peak with 29 miles remaining on my distance to empty readout. After the drive down to the lower visitor's center my display rose up to 54 miles remaining. The trip computer said I had traveled 8 miles, recaptured 7.9 miles worth of current, with just .1 mile of actual usage. From the Visitor center down and back home it read: 26 miles traveled, 7.8 miles recaptured, for a total of 18.4 miles of actual electrical usage. In my garage it showed 40 miles of range remaining with a 36% charge left. Travis' Fit EV had 25% charge remaining when he got home to Nassau. [He carried additional passengers up the mountain and lives a bit further away than I do.] This performance was a pleasant surprise for both of us, because we didn't know for sure that we could make the trip.

And I thought I might not be able to make the 75 mile round trip with the long, steep climbs and high elevations.

It turns out it was actually pretty easy. :)

10262054_643644369051750_5835184862362999015_n-2.png

We are very pleased to announce this year's National Drive Electric Week event.

What: Our second annual all electric vehicle event.

When: Sunday, September 21, 2014

Where: Guptill's Arena/Coney Express 1085 Route 9 Cohoes, NY, [on the Cohoes/Latham border].

GuptillsNPID028_zpsc0aa6efc.jpg

We look forward to surpassing last year's record of 31 EV's.

This facility has a huge fully paved lot that hosts car shows of over 500 vehicles, so space is not a problem. They also have a locally famous outdoor ice cream stand [Guptill's Coney Express] on the premises with ice cream available [as well as hot dogs.] There is fun for the whole family, as their giant indoor roller skating arena is the largest in the US.

Hours: 10:00 am to 5:00 pm.

Please register your i-Mievs at https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=132

Don't worry that your plans might change at the last minute. The important thing is to get your name on our list and support EV's in our area.

Thank you,
Michael Kamm
Albany Capital District EV Driver's Group

NPID1_zps551c3ebc.jpg

Back