My second IMIEV does not make the normal fan noise.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clovi

Yes. Got the second IMIEV. This one does NOT make the fan noise when I start the charge. My first one makes the noise , then the fan stops or idles , I don't know. Just got the car today from the dealer. I'll call then tomorrow. Before call then , did your cars does the noise or no? Could I have something wrong with the second , or is just malfunction from the first. My first one just turn 4 months old yesterday , 04/27 and I have 7950 miles, without any problem!! What you guys think???

My car, a 2012 ES, makes that sound on either the OEM EVSE or my Clipper Creek L2 EVSE. Let's see who else responds. If all the other i-MiEVs here, except for your second one, makes the "fan sound", then it's probably a good idea to take it to the dealership.

Does your new car charge okay without the noise?

I get the "fan noise" every time I plug in any charging station, UNLESS something's wrong. I have had a ground fault, the ignition key on READY or a power switch turned off which prevents charging. As soon as I turn the power back on, the fan noise starts.

It's the water pump and cooling system for the charger that you're hearing - It doesn't run all the time, at least mine doesn't. Mine kicks in only for 15 seconds or so about ten minutes after I plug it in and then again every 10 minutes or so - It runs more often using Level 2 charging, probably because the charger generates more heat when it's charging faster

Don

Yes, the car is charging, normally. I guess this fan is the AC, and turns on, all the charging time , when we are charging from CHAdeMO fast charge (480Volts). Am I right? We don't have this around Northern Virginia yet, so I don't know. I tried to connect many times and no noise, but good charge! I'll call this guys tomorrow.

Don said:
It's the water pump and cooling system for the charger that you're hearing - It doesn't run all the time, at least mine doesn't. Mine kicks in only for 15 seconds or so about ten minutes after I plug it in and then again every 10 minutes or so - It runs more often using Level 2 charging, probably because the charger generates more heat when it's charging faster

Don
So , because I just got this car today , could be that the fan comes on and off when charging. Never pay attention on it. As I told , seems that the car is charging OK.

Another data point - as far as I can recall, I hear that fan noise EVERY time I plug in, hot weather or cold. As noted in my sig, I use an Eaton Level 2 EVSE.

I've never heard any sound when I plug in to a L2 EVSE. Maybe the background traffic noise masks the cooling system sound (I always use a public charging station). I've got a very early 2012 i-MiEV, so I wonder whether later models are more agressive with the charger cooling.

I can easily hear the power brake vacuum pump. Is the charger cooling pump quieter than the vacuum pump?

clovi, congratulations on your second iMiEV. A few minutes after I plug in, my iMiEV's coolant pump kicks in and runs briefly, irrespective of whether its L1 or L2, and then cycles throughout the charging process. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns on immediately after plugging in if you've just returned home from a drive on a warm day and plugged in right away (not recommended BTW). My vacuum pump is barely perceptible and only operates when I'm driving and not when charging. I wouldn't bug the dealer over this unless there's a warning light.

JoeS said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it turns on immediately after plugging in if you've just returned home from a drive on a warm day and plugged in right away (not recommended BTW).
Ah, maybe that explains why I haven't heard the cooling pump. I've never charged immediately after a long drive on a warm day, and I always walk away immediately after I've confirmed that charging is occurring.

I think Clovi is talking about the fan that moves the air through the battery case, not the coolant pump. After the car is plugged in, the fan runs for about 5 seconds, shuts off, then the charger ramps up the power. The charge light on the EVSE will light up before the fan starts. Maybe the second car has a newer charging procedure that keeps the fan off.

I noticed that my car can give the signs of charging while actually not (confirmed with Kill a Watt) if the connector is plugged in but not latched. The relays in both the car and EVSE click, the EVSE charge light comes on, but the fan stays off. If the connector stays like this too long (about 30 seconds), then gets pushed in to latch, the charge lights goes out and the car won't charge. It will need to be unplugged and plugged back in.

I hear a fan or pump every time I plug in. It runs for 3 or 5 seconds, then shuts off. I assume it's a test.

On level 2 charge it runs for a few seconds every 10 or 15 minutes.

Is it just me or do I also hear the fan while driving and stopped at a light? I could swear I heard the same sound as when I am charging. Does this always come on when driving or only when the battery reaches a certain temperature?

PV1, I do not have a CHAdeMO-equipped iMiEV and thus no battery fan that I'm aware of, and certainly no fan or motor that turns on for five seconds when the car is first plugged in (not to be confused with the coolant pump). In a CHAdeMO-equipped iMiEV, does a battery fan indeed kick in briefly when the car is first plugged in? Perhaps someone can confirm this?

If I'm paying attention and don't hear the coolant pump kick in within the first 5-10 minutes after plugging in the car, I admit to checking the EVSE, dashboard red charging light, and/or my T.E.D. powerline monitor.

JoeS said:
PV1, I do not have a CHAdeMO-equipped iMiEV and thus no battery fan that I'm aware of, and certainly no fan or motor that turns on for five seconds when the car is first plugged in (not to be confused with the coolant pump). In a CHAdeMO-equipped iMiEV, does a battery fan indeed kick in briefly when the car is first plugged in? Perhaps someone can confirm this?
Heavens, I hadn't even considered that. Yes, as I said earlier, I hear the fan every time. And my ES does have the CHAdeMO QuickCharge package - so there you have it. Go figure.

Vike said:
Another data point - as far as I can recall, I hear that fan noise EVERY time I plug in, hot weather or cold. As noted in my sig, I use an Eaton Level 2 EVSE.
Yes Vike. Cold or hot (I did not see this kind of weather here in Leesburg VA yet, since I bought my first one). Even on very cold days , the fan kicks when I plug in and goes after 5 seconds. My wife's IMIEV doesn't.

PV1 said:
I think Clovi is talking about the fan that moves the air through the battery case, not the coolant pump.

Yes , PV1. The fan the moves the air to the battery case, not the cooling pump. No emergency light and during charge , the coolant pump works.

JoeS said:

This could explain something. Without CHAdeMO equipped cars, no fan , with , fan! Let's check with others. Never payed attention during charge, especially with level 2, if the fan starts again. I'll do this. Called my dealer this morning again , and they still waiting Mitsu answer from yesterday call. Not a good thing :(

Back