PA Turnpike installing chargers at rest stops

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatedad11

Per recent on line article in Philadelphia newspapers, the PA Turnpike Commission is finally implementing their plan of installling chargers along the East/West Turnpike. Apparently, they will install at King Of Prussia, Lancaster, Harrisburg and then a Pittsburgh location(New Stanton?, I can't recall) at the rest stops. Those four will be installed this summer, with many more planned. I wonder if these will be Level II's or Level II QC's? Although nice in a pinch, I don't see the Level II's having a major impact on EV usage, as waiting for an hour to get 15 miles of charge is not really going to do the trick for most of us. My I-MiEV does not have the QC option, so even if Level II being installed, it won't do too much for me. However, I am still happy to see them doing this, it represents a step in the right direction. Also, if Level III's are being installed, those who have QC should appreciate it. Maybe this is the push that is neded, and if Level III QC's are more available, many more people would opt for the QC option in their EV. On the PA TNPK, at typical speeds on a decent weather day(Spring time) I would probably get no more than 55 miles range, that won't take me far enough to be able to make much effective use of the chargers, but as I said I am still gung ho that "something" is happening.

Lou

We are still early in the EV revolution. It can't come soon enough, but before too long, it will be common to see EVSE equiopment all over the place. Of course, by then batteries will be larger and range will be much improved. I think, though, that those things will encourgae even more charging infrastructure because people will venture away from their limited locations. I couldn't get to Toronto in an EV today, even with a Tesla, if I had one. Buit I'd love to do it, and maybe someday I will...

Lou

There are a few places I would like to go but the round trip is just a little too long. If I could charge on Level 2 for an hour or two, or whatever time I am at the destination, that would be a big help.

Jenn

Fantastic news, though I'd certainly hope highway plazas would include Level 3 chargers (dual-format please, CHAdeMO is a necessity for now and CCS probably merits support unless/until proven a white elephant), as a 2-3 hour rest stop would prove impractical for most travelers.

The real possibility of improved charging infrastructure in the near future was why I plumped for the $700 CHAdeMO option on my ES. I don't need it for around Albuquerque, nor do I intend to drive my EV to Santa Fe (we have a Prius for that), but if they ever installed some L3 chargers along I-25, that would be an entirely manageable trip, and I liked the idea of leaving the option open for occasional (or emergency) use.

Another EV driver here in York, PA got a response from the PA turnpike commission regarding QC (Level III) chargers. Here's what he said:

Dear Mr. Jones,
Thank you for your comments on the electric vehicle charging stations at our service plazas. We hear your concerns on the Level 3 charging stations and you will be glad to learn that we are planning for their installation. To get this program off the ground we are installing the Level 2 chargers at four (4) of our service plazas; Oakmont Plum and New Stanton in the west and King of Prussia and Bowmansville in the east. Once they are installed we will begin placing Level 2 and Level 3 charges at the remaining plazas. After their completion we will return to the original locations and install the Level 3 chargers. Our goal is to have Level 2 and Level 3 chargers at all our service plazas by the end of 2014 or early 2015.
Thanks again for your interest in electric vehicle charging stations.

Sincerely,

Joe McCahon
Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission

danpatgal said:
...Our goal is to have Level 2 and Level 3 chargers at all our service plazas by the end of 2014 or early 2015.....
Joe McCahon
Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission
Wow, that is great news for those living along the turnpike. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the CHAdeMO/CCS thing - I notice Mr. McCahon doesn't mention it. As noted earlier, I favor dual-format chargers. I hope the highway commission will cooperate if Tesla would like to set up a few SCs at some of the plazas - much more convenient than forcing Teslas to exit the turnpike to top off (or wait forever for L2 charging).

Back