Should I buy an iMiev with the dealer 200 miles away

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatimalND

I wanted to get some input from everyone. I currently own a Leaf but really want to get my wife a iMiev. In fact if I actually had known that the iMiev existed I probably would already have one, cheaper and seems more designed to be an electric car not a electric car trying to act like a gas car. I still love my Leaf but the iMiev just seems more practical.

From trolling this forum there doesn't seem to be much issue with iMiEV but would you take the chance having to haul it 200 miles for warranty work (I do have a flat bed trailer). With the rebates and Fed rebate I am looking at about $12,000 for a brand new one so I am willing to have a little hassle to save a lot of $$$$. After the warranty runs out I hope that most fixes I can do myself.

Thanks for any input.

Since you have your own flatbed, I would say "go for it". The i-MiEV, like your Leaf, has very little in scheduled maintenance. At one year, they check the battery and replace the cabin air filter (see other threads for discounts on the air filter!). So, once a year, you would have to load up the i-MiEV for preventative maintenance. A no-brainer!

I was thinking of making a pilgrimage in the i-MiEV every year. Take a couple of days each way stopping at campgrounds for a charge :).

aarond12 said:
At one year, they check the battery and replace the cabin air filter (see other threads for discounts on the air filter!).
I believe an insert in my owner's manual stated that due to recent software updates, the annual battery check is no longer required. So when I looked at what was remaining for the annual maintenance, I decided that I would probably due the work myself.

For trip planification and i-miev versus leaf comparison.
http://www.jurassictest.ch/GR/
Nissan leaf seems to use more electricity per mile but the battery store more power, leaf's range seems better.
i-miev also at the origin was not an electric car.

At least one or even two recharges would be necessary for a 200 miles trip and roads with less slope and where slow driving is possible would have to be prefered.
I would be a bit shy to do like those guys but why not ... http://www.electric-odyssey.com/?lang=en In February 2012, the first world tour in a standard electric car left Strasbourg (France): 25,000km, 8 months, 17 countries, 250€ of electricity consumption. The car had to be charged every 110km which means more than 200 stopovers and meetings with local people so that they share with us few megawatts. Thus, beyond the technological challenge, this journey has been a true human adventure that gave us the opportunity to be in close contact with people all around the world, through the American Rockies, the heart of Japan, the silk road between China and Kazakhstan and Europe.The Electric Odyssey has been the first world tour done with a standard electric car. Every challenge has outstanding figures to set forth. The Odyssey is not an exception to the rule.

But as you need a car to go, this is perfect to use the flat bed trailer.

I figured 3 charges two days with a stop over at a families house along they way. It's not the destination but the Journey.

As long as you have the flatbed, you should be fine. Expect to return about 2-4x per year for updates or service. One of the beautiful things about electric cars is their simplicity vs gas cars, so there is far less maintenance in general. Good luck!

benswing said:
Expect to return about 2-4x per year for updates or service.
Really?!! Is this the frequency that other i-MiEV owners are experiencing? I've owned my i-MiEV only since the end of December, but I have never returned to my Mitsubishi dealer since and have no plans to do so anytime soon. I don't even see the first scheduled maintenance as a reason to take my i-MiEV to the dealer now that the annual battery pack check is no longer necessary.

It's twice per year so far for most of us - We had a software upgrade about 6 months ago and now another one along with replacement of the brake vacuum pump. I doubt we're done seeing software upgrades . . . . this is a computer controlled car and as such I think we'll keep seeing improvements via software changes - At least I hope so!

Don

I was fortunate enough to take care of the brake recall and the software updates all at once. One trip back to the dealership.

Don said:
It's twice per year so far for most of us
I'd agree with that, we've had ours almost a year, and we've been back twice for updates. We had plenty of time to schedule and keep using the car until we could get to the dealer (for us it's 30 miles away). Since you must take it on a flat-bed, you don't have to worry about charging up to get there or to get back home, so in a way that makes it easier for you ...

By the way, I was in Minot, ND this past February and drove through Fargo, and though not too scary cold while I was there, I know it can be; you will notice a drop in range in the winter, despite the battery warming system. I guess if you've had the Leaf for a while, perhaps you've noticed that already. I had it out in the snow a few times too, and it behaves very well, much better than most cars I've driven in snowy conditions. And, there are a couple people active on this forum in colder climates who have done insulation (makes most sense for the heater, but more is possible) and have experience driving EVs in the cold. It's probably worth finding those threads (if you haven't already) and doing some research. I can't over-estimate the benefit of having a garage and pre-heating the car before going out ... before I had that I didn't think it would make a big difference, but I now do think it is really important.

Yes, I noticed the lack of range in the Leaf when it's cold, but West Fargo/Fargo/Moorhead is only 10 miles from one end to the other. I have a heated garage and pre-heat my Leaf and don't use the heat while driving, gets pretty fogged up by the time I get to work. By the time I go back if the sun is out the car is usually warm enough to not use the heater also.

I just love not going to get gas :). But since I am in charge of vehicles I have to fill the wife's and that just takes the fun out of having an electric car, hence I need another. Figured would be fun to post comparison of the two.

Unless there was a safety recall I think once a year would be the most I would take the car back to the dealer, who knows if the Mitsu SUV PEV takes off my dealer here might be able to take care of me in a few years. I was thinking of waiting for that but at 12K how can I pass up the iMiev and just keep my 05 van.

Matimal, I commend your courage and it's apparent that you could help an iMiEV live far from a certified tech.

I personally think that the i is one of the most compatible vehicles with living 'off the grid', because other than recalls (which should hopefully become fewer and farther between as the car ages) and damage repair, there should be no reason to visit a dealer. There are really no consumable parts other than the air filter (which could be easily cut out of a one-size-fits-all HVAC filter pad from Wal-Mart). Tires and brake pads are equally easy to get anywhere...
If you get the official service manual from HELM, you'll see that many of the repair procedures are within the capabilities of a shadetree mechanic, and the diagnostics involve more use of a multimeter than the official Mitsu i-puter.
(if x fails to work, pull y connector and check for 5V at pin 3 and 12V at pin 8), etc...

Best of luck, but heck- what am I saying, you've already got plenty of that to pick up an i for $12k!! ;)

When I met the "Certified Tech" for my Nissan Leaf I was not too impressed. I would imagine I could do just as well or better with a service manual.

I would venture to say the EV tech's in this area will be going in blind for the most part. They probably had a class for a few days a couple years back and seen maybe one car since then.

dakine said:
I am more than 200 miles from the nearest dealer. Hope the car can live with out that replacement.

So you have never had the car back to the dealer. You have a service manual?

He's in Rarotonga, Cook Islands - 5,000 miles from the nearest dealer

I would get in touch with the dealer you bought it from in Hawaii and see if the will ship you the new pump - It's a ten minute install. I suspect you'll have to live without any software upgrades though

Don

dakine said:
Don said:
along with replacement of the brake vacuum pump.

I am more than 200 miles from the nearest dealer. Hope the car can live with out that replacement.
Check to see if the manufacture date of your i-MiEV is outside the range of manufacturing dates included in the recall. The i-MiEV I bought from Cutter Mitsubishi in Honolulu in December, 2012, was a very old one that was built before the defective vacuum pumps were installed, so yours might be old enough to not be part of the recall.

dakine said:

That's awesome, I guess 200 miles is nothing.

I was showing the wife the iMiEV tonight, her reply was "You don't need another car!"(I am addicted to cars), I say it's for her, reply "Yea right". Asked her what color she liked and she says "Raspberry" I figure that was yes go ahead and buy one :).

Back