Ignition/door keys

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lithim

After five years of use I finally had to change the battery in my every day key to the car. After completing that task I decided to check the spare key that has been sitting in a drawer unused for five years. Lo and behold it did not work. Thinking perhaps it was the battery too, I opened the case , checked the battery with a volt meter and it tested fine. Do these keys have to be coded individually to the car? Perhaps the dealer never "activated" the "spare' key.
Help is appreciated.
Thanks
Stay charged my friend.

I'm sure the keys are indeed coded to the car - We have two iMiEV's and four keys, two of which work with each car and will not work with the other car

That said, button cells which won't provide enough current to operate the key might well still test 'good' looking at their unloaded voltage with a volt meter. Before I went looking for a more complicated 'answer' I would replace that 5 year old battery with a fresh one from a well known manufacturer (I usually buy Sony cells exclusively, usually on eBay, but there are other quality manufacturers) and see if that doesn't solve your key problem

Don

Back