Charging Down Route 66

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JoeS said:
New i-MiEV owners note the results of careful energy management:
rkarl89203 said:
...Left Amboy with 88RR 16 Bars...
Some of what appears on the surface to be 'careful energy management' is actually just the result of doing more downhill driving than level or uphill driving - Not something we always have control over

Don

Whatever the reason, getting the highest RR before a difficult leg on a trip seems to me to be important.
For instance my RR now charging for the Oatman/Kingman run is 81 so far.
If it were 59 i would be concerned.
Nothing but long gradual uphill to Oatman. Of course just past there it is downhill to Kingman.

Whoa! Rick, you do recognize that RR is merely a reflection of how the car was driven in the preceding 15 miles and has little to do with actually predicting your future range unless the surrounding circumstances are identical? The point Don made is completely valid, as RR=88 could be attained by driving 70mph, all downhill. :roll:

I wasnt criticizing...just making a point.
Both you and Don are right.
Stuck in Oatman AZ. Super slow charger.

It does. Very nice place. No actual rooms tho. The attached restaurant is awesome. Had one of the best pulled pork sandwiches EVER there.

Hey Rick, Sorry, didn't mean to sound offensive. Hope you can meet up with Aerowhatt so he can give you some pointers on the fine art of hypermiling using N. Still looking for yesterday's (4/30/17) trip data, Day 6.

With all due respect, all..
I am 3,200 miles into a one of a kind journey.
I seem to have learned a bit about hypermiling.
I was interviewed by renowned historian and route 66 author Jim Hinckley on Jim Hinckleys America in Kingman this morninf.
I dont have to prove myself to anyone.
I am proud of what i have accomplished.
This is a once in a lifetime trip. I am going to enjoy the rest of it. Tony is my friend and I will see him in ABQ when i get there.
Thanks for all the positive help, folks.
Time to get home.

rkarl89203 said:
Last night i stayed in Kingman.
Tonight i stopped at Grand Canyon Caverns.

Marvelous place Grand Canyon Caverns! If you like hiking and hanging' out, you could easily stay a week!

I agree. Very nice people. Rates are not that high on rooms or tours. Restaurant is top notch. Free electric car charging at the RV Park.
Awesome.
Had a great time driving through Seligman, Ash Fork and Williams.
Lunch at Jessicas in Williams was great.
Going to stay in Flagstaff tonite. Got my reservations!

To all who may be keeping track, Day 6 ended in Kingman i drove 91 miles that day. Day 7 ended in Grand Canyon Caverns. Drove 64 miles that day.
Today, Day 8, i stopped in Flagstaff.
I drove 104 miles today.
Matter of fact, during the 27 mile uphill stretch from Williams to Flagstaff, this guy who needs help with his hypermiling skills spent an entire 4 miles of energy. I must get better at this.
Tomorrow. To Winslow or Holbrook, if i make it.
Cheers.

Trip data spreadsheet updated.

Rick, I can tell that I rubbed you the wrong way, for which I apologize, but perhaps there was a misinterpretation of what I wrote - if you'll re-read my post you will see that I was suggesting a hypermiling discussion with Tony specifically regarding the use of N, and not challenging your overall hypermiling skills.

Williams to Flagstaff is a net 157ft. altitude climb. So, on the relatively-steep 400+ft downhill into Flagstaff, did you use N or did you regen to limit the car's speed? There's presently a discussion elsewhere on this forum as to which is better for maximizing range.

Sorry, but what does "4 miles of energy" mean? Did you mean to say 4 bars on the fuel gauge? If you meant only a 4 miles decrease in the RR reading over that 27-mile stretch then you'll recall that the reading you started with was a function of how the preceding 15 miles had been driven and didn't necessarily reflect how the subsequent 27 miles were going to be driven. Also, the downhill into Flagstaff would have raised your final RR number.

Good luck with your continuing journey and hope the weather in the midwest gets better by the time you get there. :cry:

Unbelievable.
Anyways i will just post total miles from now on.
Too bad. So disappointed.
I hope somehow my previous posts have helped most to understand the versatility of this vehicle.
This has been mostly a great experience.
No more drama.
Cheers.

i've really enjoyed reading about your great achievement with this little jellybean--i had never considered it as a long-distance car, but you have proven it is entirely possible with your cross-country adventure. Please continue to share the sight-seeing and fun food stops, that is the best part.

Rick, once again, I'm very sorry to have upset you with my picky technical comments, and I apologize for that. I'll now crawl back into my hole and try to stop being a PIA. :cry:

Please do continue telling us how your trip is going - it should be better than your outbound trip since, on average, the winds will be behind you. :D

Delighted that you're enjoying this once-in-a-lifetime adventure in such a limited-range BEV. :cool:

Kiev and others: one has to be flexible when traveling in this car. For instance yesterday at Ash Fork, AZ i noticed an RV park and thought i would ask how much for a topup charge. When the answer was that i could charge for free
It became a 3 hour stop lol. However hours later in Williams all the RV parks were full. I found one that would let me charge, but it was $44. Yikes.
This morning i am charging for free at an L2 EV Plug charger at NAU. So my last 4 charges have been all L2s, including Grand Canyon Caverns. Three were totally free but one was $44. Go figure. I guess that means the
Average of these is $11. That comes out to somwhere close to the equivalent of $5 a 'gallon.'

Maybe it's not intentional 'price gouging'? - Some EV's (Tesla's and a few others) could draw 45 amps from an RV park 50 amp outlet, which is about 11Kw per hour. A 5 hour recharge for them would be more than 50Kw, which at 10 cents per Kwh would come to . . . . $5

No - It's still price gouging I guess. $44 sounds like the daily price for an RV slot in most places where they might be running a couple air conditioners for 24 hours, plus using water and sewer facilities. Leaves little doubt in my mind they're intentionally taking advantage of EV's needing a recharge, especially if they know they're in an area where there are few if any other choices

Don

Back