New Owner In Albuquerque NM

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowhatt

OK so the forum has another new owner. Received our new 2014 I Miev earlier this week from Minnesota. I got such a great deal it could have been a disappointing car and I could still be happy overall. It’s far from disappointing so far. In fact every time I turn around I’m “re impressed” with it.

I was on the reserved list for a Leaf since 2010 and test drove one in early 2012 (I think) when they finally made it to NM. Besides the $36k price tag, we just didn’t like it. It drove fine, I kept on going when the salesman was trying to get me turned back to the dealership. So I got a good thorough test drive. To many blind spots for my taste though. The real deal breaker (straw . . . camels back) was the “fold down” rear seat. A half wall behind it right through the cargo room that we use frequently. Plus it had the feel of trying to be a luxury car inside and missing the mark. Like Vegas hotels IMO. So back to square one waiting for new arrivals to our area to give a chance. The I Miev wasn’t on my radar because I had read so many scathingly bad reviews of it. Plus, I was completely unaware of it being available to test drive in my area (Mitsu marketing at it’s best).

I was somewhat hesitant right before the purchase. Skeptical wife, all those bad reviews and a super short test drive in a dirty 2012 . . . in raspberry. Sorry, but I hate that color! But with the info on this forum and other sources (mostly linked from it) I decided to go ahead. You guys were right, my wife loves it now that she has gotten to know it a bit. And you were right again, she has named it too. Already she wishes she had her own (yikes, I know how that ends). Now I get it, it is a basic-ish car. That works great for me. I’m a practical transportation kind of guy. Not, a what I drive defines me kind. I don’t care how much money one makes, many cars are just beyond excessive IMO. We could afford luxury cars, BMW, Mercedes, even a Model S (just barely). I just don’t understand putting that level of resources into transportation? Much better things to spend it on like solar panels, property, good clean fun!

Anyway, I love this car. Great visibility and amazing utility. It reminds me of the tent in “Harry Potter” which looked like a pup tent on the outside, two rooms picnic table and lots of room to walk around inside. There is nothing cheap about it (unless one likes Vegas hotels I suppose) and it’s got it where it counts most, in the engineering. Spunky, handles great, very comfortable, Plenty of giddy up. And mixed range so far looks much higher than the EPA estimate. Of course, I do get 42 MPG in a honda EPA rated at 33 Mpg. The key is in ones’ braking or lack there of. I get off the line quick and up to the speed limit briskly and then glide along with a very steady throttle foot, reading traffic and lights to avoid braking. The I Miev is responsive to the same treatment, I do miss shifting though.

Couldn’t be happier and thanks for that little push of encouragement (you know who you are).

Aerowhatt

Aerowhatt, thank you for posting and enjoyed some new phrases you introduced in describing our i-MiEV. In so many modern cars I get the feeling that people are paying for opulence - either real or imagined, whereas the i-MiEV is just a straightforward fun little functional workhorse, admirably suited for what I believe are most people's everyday needs.

Incidentally, here's what others have called the i-MiEV: http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=627

It's nice to see your perspective on why you chose the i-MiEV and I'm glad it's been happily adopted into your family. You can make up for a lack of gear shifting by playing with the regen lever, as coasting in N and modulating regen becomes second-nature.

Aerowhatt said:
The I Miev wasn’t on my radar because I had read so many scathingly bad reviews of it. Plus, I was completely unaware of it being available to test drive in my area (Mitsu marketing at it’s best).
Aerowhatt said:
It’s far from disappointing so far. In fact every time I turn around I’m “re impressed” with it.

Welcome to the forum Aerowhatt
Congratulation on your new Miev -

I stopped believing in most reviewing organizations after having taken their recommendations that ended in disappointment. I listen more to the people who use the products

Beware that many Miev drivers end up driving around with a grin on their face and even break out into a smile when they pass a gas station.
Hope you enjoy many happy miles.

Thank you for the welcome. This is a great resource. I took my son to school this morning, he had a very stiff neck, slept wrong on it. He usually rides his bicycle. it’s about 7 miles one way with a big climb towards the end. Chilly and rainy this morning so I got to use the heat and heated seats ;-)

Having read many of the posts here in anticipation of it’s arrival. I knew how to best utilize the cabin heat from others experiences. Saved me frustration from experimenting . . . priceless. Works well with minimal impact on the RR as recommended by you all on this forum. Love the heated seats too!

I’m sure I will do some in flight shifting between ranges as Joe suggested. However I’m very impressed with the way the system is set up. Even coming down the steep part of the hill, just enough pressure on the brake pedal to turn the brake lights on gave me enough regen to maintain the speed limit. Needle buried in the charge zone. From extensive experience with EV’s of various flavors dating back to 2000. I can say IMO this system is set up just right!

Definitely a few spontaneous grins along the way!

Aerowhatt

Aerowhatt said:
I’m a practical transportation kind of guy. Not, a what I drive defines me kind. I don’t care how much money one makes, many cars are just beyond excessive IMO.
I think you've just described me, and probably a good portion of the iMiev drivers out there.

I'm glad you like it so far. I drive an old conversion (Lectric Leopard), so whenever I get in the iMiev, I remark to my wife, "Oh, this car is so nice to drive!". Were inching toward 30k miles now after 3+ years and really loving it.

sandange said:
Aerowhatt said:
The I Miev wasn’t on my radar because I had read so many scathingly bad reviews of it. Plus, I was completely unaware of it being available to test drive in my area (Mitsu marketing at it’s best).
Aerowhatt said:
It’s far from disappointing so far. In fact every time I turn around I’m “re impressed” with it.
I stopped believing in most reviewing organizations after having taken their recommendations that ended in disappointment. I listen more to the people who use the products
I think the fact that several of us have run out and bought a second iMiEV now that the low mileage lease cars have become available at such bargain prices says lots more about the car than all of those unquestionably biased reviews . . . . or, maybe it just says a lot about a few of us fanatical owners? :lol:

I don't see how anyone who has actually spent an hour or so behind the wheel could honestly bash the car and what it does so well, which leads me to believe that not all 'reviewers' have actually spent any seat time in the vehicles they review

It's hard to find honest, unbiased 'reviews' of most products - It seems everyone has an axe to grind of one sort or another. I gave up reading anything written by Consumer Reports 25 or 30 years ago when several of my favorite acquisitions were given very poor reviews by someone who obviously had a lot less experience with the product than I had myself - I don't know where they get their 'Consumers' but I suspect their 'Reports' are not often written by anyone with any actual experience with the 'product'

Aren't user/owner forums which give you actual hands-on reports wonderful?? :mrgreen:

Don

Don said:
. . . . or, maybe it just says a lot about a few of us fanatical owners? :lol:
I don't think it has that much to do with the owners. Never have I driven a car that fits me so well. The i-MiEV is functionally very well engineered. Are there things I'd improve? Yes, definitely, but they are minor things (like that 24-hour clock on the radio...has that been fixed on newer i-MiEVs?) Is there anything majorly flawed with the car? No, not really. The steering is responsive with the perfect ratio, the throttle responds instantly (something our old Cadillac did not have, there was at least a second delay from pushing the throttle to getting a response), it handles well, and above all, it's comfortable.

Don said:
I don't see how anyone who has actually spent an hour or so behind the wheel could honestly bash the car and what it does so well, which leads me to believe that not all 'reviewers' have actually spent any seat time in the vehicles they review.
Agree, 100%. The i-MiEV may not have the initial 'wow' factor with fancy gadgetry or detailed energy flows, but it really shines in ease of use and practicality while on the road (speed-sensitive intermittent wipers, anyone?)

Don said:
It's hard to find honest, unbiased 'reviews' of most products - It seems everyone has an axe to grind of one sort or another. I gave up reading anything written by Consumer Reports 25 or 30 years ago when several of my favorite acquisitions were given very poor reviews by someone who obviously had a lot less experience with the product than I had myself - I don't know where they get their 'Consumers' but I suspect their 'Reports' are not often written by anyone with any actual experience with the 'product'
:lol: :lol: :lol: Couldn't have said it better myself. That's also one of the things I tell people when talking about the i-MiEV, "Don't listen to 'Professional' reviews."

Don said:
Aren't user/owner forums which give you actual hands-on reports wonderful?? :mrgreen:
Yes.

Went to MVD today and ponied up the taxes etc. to get plates and registration. Particularly smooth experience for a change. I got lucky on timing I guess!

Anyway after leaving there I was getting on the freeway and I have to say WOW. I mean just WOW! I came up the ramp topping it at around 55mph and on my left was 65 feet or so of gravel hauling tractor trailer. Im in one of those merge or take the exit right in front of you lanes. I glanced back to see an SUV tailgating the semi and another behind it. If I'm going to merge I will have to pass this truck first. Real estate is running out fast! So I figure I'm likely getting off on the coming ramp. But hey you have to give it a try right ;) ? So I stepped on it and the little i Miev jumped like a rabbit that that had just spied a coyote approaching at high speed from behind. I literally rocketed from 55ish to 75ish in no time whatsoever and was able jump in front of that truck, just before the solid white line started. Whatever right? I know unequivocally that neither of the 5 speed hondas that I have been driving previously could make that, even dropped into third and floored. And they are no slouches when it comes to acceleration when properly shifted. Very impressive for ECO mode!!

Aerowhatt

Yesterday. Tooling along at 55 in the far right line. About a mile from the exit, and have to jump to the far left lane to exit (3 lanes with a left hand exit). Traffic in the other two lanes is doing 70 at the least. Punched it and flew.

The i-MiEV may not have as much acceleration above 55 as it does below, but it still hauls. Not bad for 66 HP.

Glad you're liking it.

Aerowhatt, glad you had a good vehicle registration experience, as buying out-of-state can sometimes cause snags. My out-of-state Corbin Sparrow needed its motor serial number verified by the CHP... long story.
Aerowhatt said:
...So I stepped on it and the little i Miev jumped like a rabbit that that had just spied a coyote approaching at high speed from behind. I literally rocketed from 55ish to 75ish in no time whatsoever and was able jump in front of that truck, just before the solid white line started... Very impressive for ECO mode!!
I hop onto high-speed freeways many times daily, and the iMiEV never disappoints, which is yet another reason those 'professional reviews' leave me perplexed. Most frustrating is following turkeys who crawl at 35mph on the onramp and then gun their SUV at the last moment... but that's off-topic.

When floored, the i-MiEV has the same response regardless whether it's in D or ECO or B Mode. I usually drop it into B when merging onto freeways because I sometimes need to decelerate. Once on the freeway, I alternate between D and N.

Welcome Aerowhatt!!! Very glad you went through with the 2014 MN purchase we discussed a couple months back, and even happier that you're so satisfied. Message me some time and let me know what part of town you're in - I'm curious to know when I should be keeping an eye out for some company out here :). I think ABQ's footprint and climate make it one of the most EV-compatible cities in the U.S., so it's kinda hurt my feelings to see so few (a LEAF here and there, plus a couple of Teslas).

And now we can add to ABQ's EV virtues some state of the art charging infrastucture! :eek: I came back on the forum to share this bit of good news, and your "New in ABQ" topic seemed a good place for it, as I assume it's being followed by those who might care about this. If you hadn't heard (I hadn't until this week), Albuquerque now has FOUR DC Quick Chargers! Amazing! Locations are Corrales near Cottonwood, Winrock, Nob Hill, and the plaza at Montgomery & San Mateo (across from Del Norte HS). More details here:

http://www.bizjournals.com/albuquerque/blog/morning-edition/2015/04/auto-evolution-five-new-electrical-vehicle.html

Interestingly, for now at least it looks like they're free, but since they're DCQC we don't have to worry about getting Volted (we'll have to see about the Teslas). A big thanks to Nissan for getting these out, especially considering they're dual format CHAdeMO/CCS, so good for BMW i3 as well. Perhaps I'll see you at one of 'em!

Vike said:
Welcome Aerowhatt!!! Very glad you went through with the 2014 MN purchase we discussed a couple months back, and even happier that you're so satisfied. Message me some time and let me know what part of town you're in - I'm curious to know when I should be keeping an eye out for some company out here :). I think ABQ's footprint and climate make it one of the most EV-compatible cities in the U.S., so it's kinda hurt my feelings to see so few (a LEAF here and there, plus a couple of Teslas).

And now we can add to ABQ's EV virtues some state of the art charging infrastucture! :eek: I came back on the forum to share this bit of good news, and your "New in ABQ" topic seemed a good place for it, as I assume it's being followed by those who might care about this. If you hadn't heard (I hadn't until this week), Albuquerque now has FOUR DC Quick Chargers! Amazing! Locations are Corrales near Cottonwood, Winrock, Nob Hill, and the plaza at Montgomery & San Mateo (across from Del Norte HS). More details here:

http://www.bizjournals.com/albuquerque/blog/morning-edition/2015/04/auto-evolution-five-new-electrical-vehicle.html

Interestingly, for now at least it looks like they're free, but since they're DCQC we don't have to worry about getting Volted (we'll have to see about the Teslas). A big thanks to Nissan for getting these out, especially considering they're dual format CHAdeMO/CCS, so good for BMW i3 as well. Perhaps I'll see you at one of 'em!

I agree with Albuquerque being perfect for EV's. I've been all over the place with zero range anxiety. Doesn't hurt having a long history with EV's either! I already saw one iMiev besides the one I test drove. What are the odds right? But my son went to prom with a girl he didn't know well and turns out her mother drives one. They must have brought it from California when they moved here sometime in the last two years. Funny though she was surprised that I drove him to their house all the way across town in the electric. Heck I could have done it three times in a row! I found it amazing that she still has major range anxiety after two years with the car.

Don't forget the DCQC in Santa Fe too, as part of the same partnership between Nissan and PNM. Unlikely that you will see me at any of them though. Perhaps as a test run but other than that I don't really need them. I might use the one in Santa Fe though. I think PNM will keep them free for a while. Helps their PR a lot while they are more quietly trying to get a $6/month/ KWH installed fee past the PRC for home solar power producers. I can only speak for my own finger of the grid and myself, but their equipment has less wear and tear on it than it otherwise would because of my solar (have the graphs to prove it). Seems odd that I should need to pay more for a lighter footprint on "their" cables and transformer. Plus I payed thousands for the line extension to power my home years ago. I payed for it and they own it hmmm :?

I'm in the NW valley between RG blvd and the river. Took a drive up to Otero canyon in the Manzano Mountains yesterday. About 50 miles round trip (mostly freeway) and over 2,000ft in elevation change. Went to a job site that was out of my way, a bit, on the way back home and still had 5 bars left showing once back to the home juice supply.

I'll keep an eye out for you :D

Aerowhatt

I'm in the far NE Heights, north of Alameda just off I-25, but we putter around the NE down to downtown/UNM quite a bit, and the i-MiEV's usually the car we take to Isotopes Park - just look for your twin (though my 2012 ES isn't so well equipped - no rear speakers, no heat for passenger seat, etc.)!

Corrales was the closest DCQC for us, and I just tried it last night. Deal is they're free for the first two years courtesy of Nissan (thanks again!), but you need to contact Greenlots.com to unlock/activate the charger. Not knowing this, I had to call the 800 number to have it unlocked by an operator (all the info's on the side of the charger, so no biggie), but it would all go a lot smoother if you just register on their site and install the smartphone app (which I did when I got home). Cables aren't very long, so had to back in. It's in the parking lot of a Freddy's steakburger and custard, so had a late snack there while the Weeble got topped off.

And yes, PNM's proposed connect fee is insane - it will kill solar in a state where it makes all the sense in the world.

Vike said:
And yes, PNM's proposed connect fee is insane - it will kill solar in a state where it makes all the sense in the world.
That's the whole idea behind it. If you dig around, I think you'll find its main supporter is a group called ALEC. But that's all I'm inputting on that.

Vike said:
I'm in the far NE Heights, north of Alameda just off I-25, but we putter around the NE down to downtown/UNM quite a bit, and the i-MiEV's usually the car we take to Isotopes Park - just look for your twin (though my 2012 ES isn't so well equipped - no rear speakers, no heat for passenger seat, etc.)!

Corrales was the closest DCQC for us, and I just tried it last night. Deal is they're free for the first two years courtesy of Nissan (thanks again!), but you need to contact Greenlots.com to unlock/activate the charger. Not knowing this, I had to call the 800 number to have it unlocked by an operator (all the info's on the side of the charger, so no biggie), but it would all go a lot smoother if you just register on their site and install the smartphone app (which I did when I got home). Cables aren't very long, so had to back in. It's in the parking lot of a Freddy's steakburger and custard, so had a late snack there while the Weeble got topped off.

Hopefully the PRC won't grant it. But with all the money on the wrong side it's pretty likely it will . . . at least eventually. Thanks for the first hand info on the DCQC. I have a dumb phone though.

Aerowhatt

Another IMiEV is set to join our family :D Eliminating gassers from the garage. It took 9 months of encouraging my wife to drive my iMiEV more. Most of the time she declined for various reasons (some rational, some emotional). She did love the economics of the great price I got on mine, plus tax credit plus savings of not buying gas etc. But she still had reservations and didn’t give the car a chance to win her over.

Due to circumstances beyond our control :( I have needed to postpone what work I can and delegate the rest while I care for my 90 yr old Mom who broke a hip and has 12 weeks or so of rehab ahead before she can live on her own again. She is such a lovely person and a great motivated patient. I couldn’t let her go to a nursing home for the rehab. So she is with us which frees my “i” up. So lots of driving the “i” for my wife lately. The other day she said "I wish we could get another one of them for me" :D When asked why? she said she “loved hot rodding around in it” ;) Luckily I had been watching the market and had a “new” 2014 still eligible for the tax credit with full warranty periods etc. on my radar. A couple of phone calls and the paperwork is on it’s way to us.

$16,100, shipping included! from out of state - the full tax credit next year and no more trips to the gas station! I never did anything but encourage her to use the car more and to keep my eyes open for good deals. The car sold itself to her. She will have lingering range anxiety for a few months, but she loves driving the car now that she has been doing so regularly. If nothing goes wrong we should have it in two or three weeks, I can’t wait! A new “i” for $8,600.00 after the credit. Holy smokes!

Aerowhatt

Congrats Aerowhatt! I'd like to get my wife one too but she still likes her worn out, 2003 suv gas guzzler. She has driven my i-miev a few times and to me, that's progress but I can't say anything. Only encourage her without looking like I'm "trying". :cool:

Phximiev said:
Holy smokes is right... Where did you find a new one for $16k?

"I know right" . . . The car was at a mitsu dealer in Northern Colorado. Awareness, patience and timing has gotten me two stellar deals on these great little cars :)

Aerowhatt

Back