Charger lock and RR display

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheky

Even though the plug is locked during charging in public charging areas, the 'gun' can easily be removed, this can easily be overcome by drilling a hole in the release button in order to attach a padlock for example to prevent the button from being pressed
Also the range remaining bars should be separated into pairs of alternate colours, this way it is easily read instead of having to concentrate on the display

Sheky said:
Even though the plug is locked during charging in public charging areas, the 'gun' can easily be removed, this can easily be overcome by drilling a hole in the release button in order to attach a padlock for example to prevent the button from being pressed

I'm thinking that would put you in very bad standing with the owner of the public charging station, making modifications to their equipment.

nt2w said:
I'm thinking that would put you in very bad standing with the owner of the public charging station, making modifications to their equipment.
It certainly would. Still, I thought the "lock hole" was more or less standard; it's on the release button of my Eaton L2 EVSE's supply plug, and I thought on the Mitsu L1 as well. I'd think its use could be justified if you're very sure of coming back to the EVSE when (or before) you're fully charged, especially if you're paying for the time. Of course, if you're past time or not paying at all, be prepared to find that bolt cutters have been applied to remove your lock if you left it sitting there all afternoon. I guess the best scenario is avoiding the need for such things altogether, but I'm not sure how likely that is if EVs were to go mainstream.

Sheky said:
. . . the range remaining bars should be separated into pairs of alternate colours, this way it is easily read instead of having to concentrate on the display
The bars of the 'fuel' gauge don't equate to any range remaining - We have a digital gauge for that

I don't find myself 'concentrating' on the fuel gauge any more than I would in an ordinary car - It's only a rough guesstimate of what's left in the tank, so it doesn't get my attention very often. I check it before I start the car and again when I return home to decide whether or not to plug in the EVSE . . . . I pretty much ignore it while driving, though I do glance at the RR display from time to time. Rather than going to the trouble and expense of adding a second color to any instruments on the dash, there are half a dozen other cheap fixes I wish they would implement. I wish the RR gauge could display the trip meter at the same time it does the range remaining. I wish I could delete the months/miles to the next service from the gauge so I don't have to toggle through them to get to the display I need. I wish the toggle button could be moved to a more driver friendly location. I wish the speedo bezel could be redesigned so the speedo was always visible . . . . under certain conditions during the day you can hardly see it at all due to sunlight washing it out

Don

Back