More storage compartments

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acensor

Just unloaded the ICE we are replacing with the MiEV (selling it.)
Unloaded about 40 pounds and 80 items we carried around in the old ICE car.

True that half of it was unecessary, but half of it is either close to necessary or very nice to have in the car.
Hardly any place to put it in the MiEV.
Side pockets small. No consol between front seats. Trunk of course non existant.
No sunglass holder. Etc.

I understand Mitsu is limited by space and weight constraints but could've done better IMO at no/low cost.

Alex

acensor said:
Side pockets small. No console between front seats. Trunk of course non existent.
No sunglass holder. Etc.
The side pockets are small, but that's why they call them "map pockets". They aren't designed to hold much.

There is a tiny console between the front seats. It's perfect for my garage door opener.

The trunk on our vehicle is larger than the LEAF's. Did you mean to buy an SUV instead? :lol:

Sunglass holders for your visors cost $1 at Dollar Tree. C'mon.

http://www.dollartree.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&keyword=sunglass+holder

acensor,

In my previous workhorse ('88 Isuzu Trooper) I carry two different-sized ball hitches, a towchain, a towrope, a come-along, a full toolkit, jumper cables, whole bunch of bungies and rope and straps for securing stuff, first-aid-kit, spare anti-freeze (which I've only used for others), spare oil, spare water, spare brake fluid, spare steering fluid, spare fan belts, flashlights, folding chair, blanket, ... and that's just off the top of my head. That Trooper put on less than 500 miles last year, primarily towing trailers.

In my iMiEV, my solution was to put the flashlight in the glove compartment and stick some Rubbermaid containers in the back, but they're empty most of the time and perfect for carrying groceries. Plenty of room to stow your 'stuff' if you really feel you have to.

Mitsi3Containers.jpg

MitsiBoxes.jpg

Truth be told, when I took one of my extended day trips in the iMiEV last week (>150 miles) I did take along a spare tire off my Insight and a jack and lugwrench in addition to a boxfull collection of 240vac adapters and extension cords and my SPX L1/L2 EVSE.

Think about it - the iMiEV is primarily used for local driving and all that other 'stuff' is simply not needed. I keep my glasses in the small tray forward of the shift lever, and I agree Mitsubishi could have used some creativity in creating small cubbyholes but a trip to your local dollar/auto store should fill your doodad storage needs.

All comments acknowledged as valid.

I was pretty much posting in the spirit of serious suggestions to Mitsubishi or some other EV maker in the slim chance than anyone there ever reads here. ;) It's the kind of small value-added thing that likely could be done relatively painlessly by Mitsu IF they were already doing design revisions.

One other storage solution I came up with I will cross post to accessories or another subforum:

We had a back-of-the-trunk cargo net that came with the Toyota Corolla we just gave away to our grandson. It's about 4 feet wide and 12 inches deep.
Hung it on the backside of the front seat, simply by pulling out the headrests and putting them back in as four anchor points for the upper edge of the net.
Quite a bit of room in it and the middle section, which is just behind the space between the front seats is easily reachable while driving. Can put an ipad in there, paper towels, whatever.

Alex

When/if making seat covers, It is possible to have a zip behind the front seats. Also, it would be nice to have a small compartiment in front of the horizontal part of the seats (below knees). My Volvo has this and it is practical for coins and other small items like garage remotes...

The inside right rear quarter panel snaps our fairly easily, hiding a sizeable void (and the CHAdeMO release cable). A clever crafter could cut and glue a plastic bin behind there for storage, with or without an access hole through the panel. After hand-prototyping, it would be a job ready-made for 3D printing in thermoplastic.

aarond12 said:
...or the ideal place for a subwoofer...
That's what every EV really needs - A 2Kw stereo! :lol:

Well, dear - It looks like we might not make it back home. Turn off the stereo!

Don

Heh... Not a 2kW system... I have a 400W Sony amplifier that I'm planning on installing some day. (It will work with the stock radio.) I'm not planning on installing BOTH 10" subwoofers... one should be fine for our quite little ride. :lol: I've outgrown my shake-the-neighborhood phase, but I still like plenty of low-end response.

Back