Nice Aussie MiEV intro video

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jray3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jYqwXOCbm8&feature=related

There's a lot more iMiEV videos on YouTube now than when I last checked, including this gem that would loop nicely at a car show. One tidbit I gleaned is that the traction pack is built with LEV50 cells, which jives with the 48.5 amp hour capacity that has been back-calculated (nice to know they left some headroom).
See this thread http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=487&start=10&hilit=SCiB+20

Another is that it appears the Australian version doesn't use J1772, but instead plugs a regular extension cord into the large CHAdeMO opening on the car's left side.
Can anyone down under confirm this, possibly provide photos? :?:

HI Jray3,
I can confirm this video used a early model, and that all the 2012 models use a plug and socket the same as in USA, a type J1772 on the Right Hand side and a CHaDeMo Fast charger on the Left Hand side of the car.

The difference here it seems, is that the car doesn't mention having a 110 Volt charging capability and the supplied lead is the same as in the USA I think, based on looking at the photos, but ours is set for 230 volts, AC at 50 Hz.

The measurements taken here indicate the car draws at intitial plug in, 230 volts 50 Hz AC, 13 amps, for about 3 seconds, then goes to 9.5 amps for most of the recharging, then drops to 4 to 5 amps for the rest of the charging process.

I had heard that when first brought in, the 2010 or 2011 model I think it was, the charger used a higher 12 amp draw, for longer, but to reduce heating on the often lower rated older wiring in houses, they decided to reduce it to 9.5 amps.

To get the faster charging of 3.3 Kw which is 14. 3 amps or so, we need to use a ESVE which we can order from overseas or from Juicepoint here in NZ, or Chargepoint in NZ.

Juicepoint responds to e-mails quickly, Chargepoint takes a while.

Fastest response is usually from Japan ! http://www.takakoa.com and In I think Canada, I have found Johnathon from Greener Energy Solutions to be knowledgeable and really quick with replies.

[email protected]

NZ really has a lot of hurdles to EV's here, we have hills and long distances between towns and going to see some friends means a top up there is usually needed.

We also have nice car dealers who really try to give us great deals, but the start price is so high, and the Main importers of the cars, while trying to help, really see this as a very, very small market and that they are not keen to sponsor recharging stations, it isn't viable for them.

There are not yet any Government incentives, bar a 5 cent per Km road user tax that has been waived.

So with no incentives for the purchase cost, a high initial cost of the car, no recharging stations at present, it is a bit up hill at the moment !

It will get better !

We will be keen to support recharging stations and we are already looking at properties and asking shops to allow us to fit some.

If you are over this way, we might be able to offer a rental version at some point ! We are aiming for a NZ $ 57 per first day, $ 10 per day after that hire out rate to encourage people to try the imiev.

Back