DallasiMiEV

iMiEV in North Dallas - AC/DC - Black Cars

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:01 pm

I got my iMiEV 3 months ago, and I love it. I got the windows tinted and black leather seats installed at the dealer for no extra charge (no pun intended), and I like the look of it. I've been trying to find unobtrusive yet cool ways to advertise it's all electric status, so I opted for license plate frames. Figuring that wasn't enough, I also recently added this novelty front plate. Makes it look cool, and advertises the fact that its electric. Love it.

Not sure if throwing on a random novelty plate is legal in Texas, as I have a real license plate in back, but front license plates are not required, so I just plan on not getting pulled over.
Last edited by DallasiMiEV on Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Re: iMiEV in North Dallas - AC/DC

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:59 pm

DallasiMiEV, welcome to the forum. Wow, leather seats - I don't know if anyone else has done this!
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

jray3

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:01 pm

Inserting photos on this forum ain't fun.. I've only succeeded by adding a link.
Congrats on braving I-35 in an i-MiEV. I usta live around Lewisville and left the rearview mirror perpetually flipped up to avoid all the monster truck headlights blinding me...
From Plugshare it looks like there's a decent start to public EVSE in DFW, with about a dozen ChaDEmo stations scattered along the LBJ loop.

COngrats on the i and good luck winning some converts!
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 76,000 miles
i-ES traded at 21,648 miles
2000 Honda Odyssey
1987 F250 Diesel
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

DallasiMiEV

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:52 pm

JoeS wrote:DallasiMiEV, welcome to the forum. Wow, leather seats - I don't know if anyone else has done this!

flickr has a problem providing the image you linked to... :cry: When you've fixed it, I'll remove this comment.

Thanks for pointing out the image problem! First time using flickr and this forum. Hopefully the image is fixed now...

I got one of the last new 2012 iMiEVs for sale in the US, on Nov 1, 2013, and I believe it was the last available in the Dallas area. I called around to 4 dealerships before I found it. The dealer was so willing to get rid of it (and hit his sales quota) that he came down $3,500 below the $10,000 off price, and threw in free tint and leather seats free. It was nice! Now I need to figure out how to get my tax credit of $7,500... :lol:

DallasiMiEV

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:07 pm

jray3 wrote:Inserting photos on this forum ain't fun.. I've only succeeded by adding a link.
Congrats on braving I-35 in an i-MiEV. I usta live around Lewisville and left the rearview mirror perpetually flipped up to avoid all the monster truck headlights blinding me...
From Plugshare it looks like there's a decent start to public EVSE in DFW, with about a dozen ChaDEmo stations scattered along the LBJ loop.

COngrats on the i and good luck winning some converts!

Thanks for the welcoming comments. I take the tollway and 121 often, and I've had no issues. Neither are on my commute, so I'm only on the freeways a couple times a week, but it's fun to drive the i fast. I've maxed out at 83 mph on 121 and found the car actually has a governor - I could feel more power, but the motor wouldn't let me go faster. This was just last week. I started at 12 bars, drove ~80mph for 15 miles to a lunch appt I was late for, then only had 4 bars left to drive back to work! So I hyper-miled back to work at 25 mph the whole 15 miles back, and had two bars left when I pulled up to the charging station. Not bad. Took 45 minutes though...

I live very close to my work, and my work has 4 free 220v ChargePoint stations, and they are almost always empty, so I can charge every day if I need to. All my charging is done fast and free. And I park it like in the picture, front facing out, and every single person looks at it walking by. I get a lot of wowed looks. Hopefully Mistubishi comes out with some 2014 models quick so I can actually start referring some people.

I'm currently looking for a decal that says "Back in Black" to put above the front plate. Any other suggestions for how to make my black i-MiEV cool and manly, without being too conspicuous? I'm a minimalist. I am thinking of getting the hubcaps painted black, channeling the Rolling Stones. "I have some hub caps and I want to paint them black"

Thanks!

JoeS
Site Moderator

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:24 pm

DallasiMiEV, glad you fixed that flikr problem. Interesting that so many of the last remaining iMiEVs were black. There are some forum members who swear by that (absence of) color, whereas I have difficulty imagining any black vehicle in the summer Texas sun. :shock: Happily, the iMiEV's aircon energy consumption is significantly less than running the heater.

You've already discovered how wonderfully responsive the iMiEV is to hypermiling - aerodynamic drag is THE significant range-robbing variable, followed by running the heater.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

DallasiMiEV

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:42 pm

I too swear by my color black. It's the biggest redeeming factor for the tiny car in terms of manliness. The summers here are hot regardless, and the tint will help a lot. My last car was a white Benz, and it was a furnace for a few minutes after work, after sitting in the sun all day. I had a small, black Dodge Caliber in Dallas from 2007-2010 with dark-tinted windows, and the heat didn't reduce noticeably when I switched to the white car.

I haven't had a chance to test the AC yet, but good to know it won't suck the battery like the heater. My goodness, the heater is such a drain.

As for hypermiling, I learned as much as I could in the first few weeks, then I realized that with my work (and my free 220v charging station) so close to home, I don't need to worry about maximizing range. Now I drive like a madman, and I love it!

And for anyone interested in seeing the history of EV sales in the US, here's a great website:

http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

Only 23 i-MiEVs sold in the US in Nov-Dec 2013, almost definitely because inventory is almost all gone. I'm glad I got mine when I did. Such a practical car, I'm absolutely astounded there are not more on the road.

DallasiMiEV

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:45 pm

2013 US Monthly Sales Chart For The Major Plug-In Automakers

*Estimated Tesla North America numbers have been included in this graph. Tesla Total Sales Verified Through Sept 2013 (as per Q3 financials) *Fiat 500e estimated based on available data.

Mart

Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:17 am

Some of the board members have Plasti Dipped their wheels. Here's jafo's in Norway.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1801

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
I suspect you could pay a Truck Pro or wheel specialty shop to do the work if you wanted to.

I see a line of cars and they're all painted black.

I suppose you could take a knife to remove duplicate logos and trim it down.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DSD5PZ6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&s=

Don
Site Moderator

Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:08 am

DallasiMiEV wrote:I started at 12 bars, drove ~80mph for 15 miles to a lunch appt I was late for, then only had 4 bars left to drive back to work! So I hyper-miled back to work at 25 mph the whole 15 miles back, and had two bars left when I pulled up to the charging station
Congrats! - You've figured out how to drive this car pretty quickly. There really is no such thing as 'range anxiety' so long as you understand the speed/range equation. We can go *almost* anywhere we like, just by using the back roads . . . . or we can zoom (our other cars are both Mazdas ;) ) home as fast as we like
Any other suggestions for how to make my black i-MiEV cool and manly, without being too conspicuous? I'm a minimalist.
You could get your dealer to install these factory side graphics for you Image
I think they look AWESOME on a black car!

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1994 Miata 60K miles - Soon to be sold
1979 Honda CBX six into six

Return to “iMiev Pictures and Videos”