Two new MiEV videos produced by Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archie_b

The web site www.insideevs.com has two new videos (one english, one Japanese) promoting the i, both produced by Mitsubishi. The article on the videos also talks about no 2nd gen i, but does say that Mitsubishi plans to continue to market the current i.

Nice videos. Hopefully they see wide distribution.

This is great news. I can understand no 2nd gen given the triple-digit sales (so far), but I am very glad to hear they'll be keeping the i around (most likely as their only pure BEV, judging from management comments). I just hope they eventually give the car some visibility, but if they're going to keep it on the lot, I guess it's still got a fighting chance to build a modest following.

Looks promising.

We cannot produce electric cars in europe because the support industry cannot. That is what happens every 10 to 20 years. The support industry cannot because the oil gang does not want them to.

Then comes PSA (the french support industry) and buys the I-MiEV. The Citroen 2CV was the car of half a century and you still cannot imagine streets without it. Citroen buys the i-Miev and french people will buy it.

If Mitsu actually sticks to the design it will be the car for the next 50 years to come.

Most electric cars today are conversions. Most are based on cars 10 to 20 years old. There is not so much that needs changing. But other cars are changing. Other electric cars do not exist long enough to show as a fleet in the streets. The i-MiEV will.

And what is more, with costs for electricity rising the i-MiEV will make an ideal accumulator for your solar arrays at home. And accumulator that can drive.

This is better but they still have a ways to go on their marketing efforts. I found Mitsubishi Canada has posted the link to this video on their website at Home\i MiEV\Chatter on the top left. I do like they are showing ordinary people driving the i MiEV but they need to address the range anxiety issue. That is the number one question people ask me about driving electric, 'Aren't you afraid of running out of battery power?' The 'Electrophobia' ad campaign while cute and humorous doesn't do this job well enough, consumers are too skeptical of this kind of marketing today.

Then they need to address the cost issue. Once consumers can get their minds around driving electrically, they have to next imagine driving something this expensive and how its worth it to them. That is usually the next comment I get, 'You'll never get your money back.' Or 'Why would you pay that much for a car like that?' They don't see the cost savings of not only avoiding gas pumps but maintenance as well. The incentives are helpful, too.

The video got me thinking about the van/combi/Minicab version. I think Mitsubishi should import that over here, no one is making a small electric delivery truck. I think that would go well with places that need to deliver throughout the day like floral, auto parts, pizza, courier services, medical supplies, pharmacies and whatever else. Range for these places would be meaningless since they return frequently throughout the day for pickups and can easilly get a recharge while waiting for the next delivery.

MLucas said:
Then they need to address the cost issue. Once consumers can get their minds around driving electrically, they have to next imagine driving something this expensive and how its worth it to them. That is usually the next comment I get, 'You'll never get your money back.' Or 'Why would you pay that much for a car like that?' They don't see the cost savings of not only avoiding gas pumps but maintenance as well. The incentives are helpful, too.
My answer to this is always the same - after incentives, the i-MiEV is priced the same as a Mazda Miata, and cheaper in some states. When's the last time you asked a Miata owner when they're going to "get their money back"? What would that even mean?

The fact is, beyond all the savings on fuel and maintenance, there are a lot of intangible benefits to driving an EV, and the value of those will vary from one buyer to the next. Eco-warriors can wrench a shoulder patting themselves on the back, of course, but even less global thinkers can appreciate the EV driving experience. If a Miata is worth it because it provides a sensory experience that some drivers prefer, it's beyond me why the same can't be said of an i-MiEV. Ya, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is different, and what's different will be preferable to some.

I have both . . . . a Miata and an iMiEV, so I can appreciate your train of thought

My Miata ia a 1994 R package that I bought in April of 1999 for $11K with only 12,000 miles on it. I've 'got my money's worth' from that car years ago. :D I only drive it on nice days when I can really appreciate the top down sports car driving experience. It's really FUN to toss around . . . . without a doubt, the most fun to drive vehicle I've ever owned. It just rolled over 60,000 miles last month. It seldom sees the rain and the rag-top is still brand new . . . . the top seldom sees the sun either because the car sits in the garage about 9 months of the year with the top stowed under the hard boot ready to go for a top down run, and then the car has a hardtop on it for the 2 or 3 months of winter

The iMiEV we use for what it does best - Everyday basic transportation. It's fun to drive too, but in a completely different way. I must say that in the 6 months we've had the i, I really look forward to trips in the Miata more than ever before . . . . something about getting back in a car you can shift I think. It looks like the iMiEV will surpass the mileage on the Miata sometime in about 2019 or 2020 - Both cars should have about 85 or 90K on them by then

When we need to go out of town, tow something, haul something large or take 5 people somewhere, we use the '03 Protege 5 wagon. It currently has 63,000 miles on it. Hard to say what it's mileage will be come 2020, but unless something drastic happens, we plan to still own all 3 of these cars then - They are an eclectic mix of vehicles which seem to mesh and blend with one another very well. No matter where or when we need to go, we have the perfect vehicle for the trip and at the current rate we're racking up miles, they'll last us a long time

It is a really neat experience to drive past gas stations and never need to look at the gauge to see if you need to fill up :lol: I'm putting 100% gasoline (no ethanol in it) in the other cars these days, because they sit so long with the same gas in them. Luckily, we have a station just 1/4 mile from the house which only sells 100% gasoline

Don

MLucas said:
Then they need to address the cost issue. Once consumers can get their minds around driving electrically, they have to next imagine driving something this expensive and how its worth it to them. That is usually the next comment I get, 'You'll never get your money back.' Or 'Why would you pay that much for a car like that?' They don't see the cost savings of not only avoiding gas pumps but maintenance as well.

I tell people two things.

One, it's a $30k car that I got for $20k with a tax rebate and dealer incentives. Anyone contemplating buying a new car is likely expecting to pay $25k or more.

Two, it costs me about $3 in electricity to go 100 miles. This point really gets them, especially with gas prices near $4 per gallon.

If they ask for the math, here is what I tell them: 13 cents per kWh times 16 kWh battery = $2.08 to "fill up". I average 65 miles per charge so 2.08/65 equals .032 cents per mile, or $3.2 per 100 miles, rounded down because the 65 miles doesn't use the full charge. I have found that giving a cost in terms of 100 miles really grabs people. Being able to go 100 miles for less than the price of a gallon of gas just blows them away. Maybe that should be the tagline, "you can go 100 miles for less than the price of a gallon of gas". I think Mitsu should hire me to market this baby. :D

tonymil said:
MLucas said:
Then they need to address the cost issue. Once consumers can get their minds around driving electrically, they have to next imagine driving something this expensive and how its worth it to them. That is usually the next comment I get, 'You'll never get your money back.' Or 'Why would you pay that much for a car like that?' They don't see the cost savings of not only avoiding gas pumps but maintenance as well.

I tell people two things.

One, it's a $30k car that I got for $20k with a tax rebate and dealer incentives. Anyone contemplating buying a new car is likely expecting to pay $25k or more.

Two, it costs me about $3 in electricity to go 100 miles. This point really gets them, especially with gas prices near $4 per gallon.

If they ask for the math, here is what I tell them: 13 cents per kWh times 16 kWh battery = $2.08 to "fill up". I average 65 miles per charge so 2.08/65 equals .032 cents per mile, or $3.2 per 100 miles, rounded down because the 65 miles doesn't use the full charge. I have found that giving a cost in terms of 100 miles really grabs people. Being able to go 100 miles for less than the price of a gallon of gas just blows them away. Maybe that should be the tagline, "you can go 100 miles for less than the price of a gallon of gas". I think Mitsu should hire me to market this baby. :D

Also, don't forget to subtract the cost of maintenance on an ICE as well. When I'm preaching about my electric, and I know I got them salivating at the thought of saving their gas money - I pull in the clincher of 'How much does it cost to maintain your car?' That really gets them. Without the 3-5k mile maintenance that can cost from $50 to $800 dollars, we really start racking up the savings.

I think they should interview all of us for the next marketing campaign, we'll get them cars flying off the lots. :D

Back