iMiEV in North Dallas - AC/DC - Black Cars

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gatedad11 said:
I generally do not like all black cars, but your "I" looks cool. The tinted windows do the trick for me. The photos that show another black one with the professional decal look great
To me, nothing looks better than a freshly washed and waxed black car - Unfortunately, once you drive it a few miles, it doesn't look freshly washed any longer

I owned one - An '86.5 Toyota Supra . . . . the very last of the angular body style just before the 'bathtub' style body came along in 1987. Since it was my daily driver, I could never keep it looking great, plus it was an OVEN here in the southern sun. After I had it a couple years, I saw a white one and took photos and made careful notes of what got painted white and what pieces were still black and I hauled mine into the paint shop with a few pictures of the white car and told them "I want mine to look like this!"

No doubt, getting it repainted allowed me to keep the car several more years, because I was really on the verge of getting rid of it before I got it repainted

The iMiEV only came in 4 colors in the USA, the best of the 4 to me is definitely black, no question . . . . so long as you can keep it clean. I really wish we had a choice of the blue like the Canadian version came in . . . . that would probably have been my favorite. Everybody should own one black car in their lifetime, IMO - Preferably while you're young and have the time *and energy* for the required bi-weekly wash

Don

Don said:
Everybody should own one black car in their lifetime, IMO - Preferably while you're young and have the time *and energy* for the required bi-weekly wash
My first car ... and my LAST black car:

AustinHealyEnh.jpg

DallasiMiEV said:
Thanks Mart and Don, both great suggestions. I'll post the next set of changes I make, though it will probably be a few weeks.

I've seen the pics on other posts in this forum for the dealer graphics on the side, and I agree they look cool. But when I say I'm a minimalist, it's really a euphemism for saying I'm cheap. Dealer graphics are expensive! I've seen someone's post saying they got a custom sign place to make it and install for $100, but I haven't found any in north Dallas yet that can do it for that price. And regardless, it's still a little too big of a graphic for me. I much prefer this dealer graphic, though it's still a little long for me, and I don't really like how it ends in a plug:

12190314295_b46da61073_b.jpg

Or I may install some side molding and put some small graphics on the molding that say "100% ELECTRIC". Here's a pic from the Mistubishi site for their iMiEV side molding, though I'll try to get mine from an after market seller.

12_i_es_BodySideMolding_ACCY_FPO_002.jpg

I also like these side window reflectors, and they're only $80 at http://mparts411.com/accessories/side-window-deflectors-3:

12_i_es_SideWindowDeflectors_ACCY_FPO_002.jpg

Hi
I know this is an old thread. Just wondering if anyone can advise how to get a decal like the one on the black cat f the long power plug. I'd love to get one made for my I-miev. Thanks

JoeS said:
Don said:
Everybody should own one black car in their lifetime, IMO - Preferably while you're young and have the time *and energy* for the required bi-weekly wash

AustinHealyEnh.jpg

Steve McQueen - eat your heart out!

MGA??? - I cant recall every British sports car... though easier of late, since we havent made many since the 1960s.

phb10186 said:
...MGA??? - I cant recall every British sports car... though easier of late, since we havent made many since the 1960s.
Shame on you, that is a 1962 Austin Healey 3000 triple-carburettor and improved transmission with Laycock de Normanville overdrive unit which I modified to operate in all four forward gears, giving me eight forward 'speeds'. Sadly, it's life ended in Virginia when a huge truck ran a red light at speed and chopped off the front of the car, the truck flipping over and the driver going to the hospital. I was ok with only massive bruising from the seatbelt ... a few more milliseconds and I would have been history.

Back to electric cars ... my mouth was salivating at the idea of the Jaguar E-Type going electric:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...guar-e-type-reappears-as-all-electric-concept

JoeS said:
phb10186 said:
...MGA??? - I cant recall every British sports car... though easier of late, since we havent made many since the 1960s.
Shame on you, that is a 1962 Austin Healey 3000 triple-carburettort[/url]

For what it's worth - a Healey would have been my second guess. There aren't many of those left lying around. Last time I saw one of those was about 5 years ago driving through the New Forrest in Southern England while on a weekend break in the summer.

"they don't build 'em like they used to"

I see a couple of 3000's when I go to my local cider supplier - Healeys - and yes, they are apparently related:

https://healeyscyder.co.uk/healey-cars/

I also did a "How many are left" search, but the data for Austin Healey doesn't include any breakdown of models:

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/make/austin_healey

3,376 on the road, and 1,004 SORN (off the road). I guess most are probably frog-eyes?

More "How many are left" data (Licensed, SORN):
Mitsubishi I MIEV: 219, 3
Mitsibishi I-MIEV: 38, 1
Mitsubishi I CITY (I guess this is the ICE version): 5, 0 (I have only seen one, on the Clifton suspension bridge many years ago)
Citroen C-Zero: 227, 2
Peugeot iON: 418, 1

phb10186 said:
JoeS said:
Don said:

AustinHealyEnh.jpg

MGA??? - I cant recall every British sports car... though easier of late, since we havent made many since the 1960s.
I can see how you would call this an MGA. My dad had one, though not a black one but a blue/green one. Looks almost identical except the tail lights were more out on the fenders and there were no amber lights. Maybe they had the same body maker?

The thing I remember most is my dad having the valves ground every 6 months or so. Half the time he would do it himself which is not easy since you have to remove the head. Otherwise he sent it to a local shop. It was a lot of fun car to ride around in.

ed5000 said:
phb10186 said:
JoeS said:

AustinHealyEnh.jpg

I can see how you would call this an MGA. My dad had one, though not a black one but a blue/green one. Looks almost identical except the tail lights were more out on the fenders and there were no amber lights. Maybe they had the same body maker?

The thing I remember most is my dad having the valves ground every 6 months or so. Half the time he would do it himself which is not easy since you have to remove the head. Otherwise he sent it to a local shop. It was a lot of fun car to ride around in.

Lost skills from an era of beauty for sure, but also an era when what didn't leak oil or smoke ended up rusting and falling off.

I actually trying to think what mechanics you'll actually need in a future of EVs... not so much. Brakes and suspension and plastic trim removal and replacement... thats kind of it.

misterbleepy said:
I see a couple of 3000's when I go to my local cider supplier - Healeys - and yes, they are apparently related:

https://healeyscyder.co.uk/healey-cars/

I also did a "How many are left" search, but the data for Austin Healey doesn't include any breakdown of models:

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/make/austin_healey

3,376 on the road, and 1,004 SORN (off the road). I guess most are probably frog-eyes?

More "How many are left" data (Licensed, SORN):
Mitsubishi I MIEV: 219, 3
Mitsibishi I-MIEV: 38, 1
Mitsubishi I CITY (I guess this is the ICE version): 5, 0 (I have only seen one, on the Clifton suspension bridge many years ago)
Citroen C-Zero: 227, 2
Peugeot iON: 418, 1

Ive seen those figures about the IMIEV in the UK, and all I can think of is that the database is riddled with inaccuracy - though I was led to beleive it runs off DVLA data, in no way can I accept there are 10 times the number of Austin Healeys in the UK as there are Mitsubishi IMIEVs... and if it's true then they sold a load less that I am led to believe. I see at least 10 commonly in use in London of the I or clone varieties, usually while commuting in to the centre of London on the scooter - and ive seen about another 20 or so elsewhere around here... so I can believe it. It means that between me and my parents, we have about 1% of the UK IMIEV fleet (2 cars), which sounds impossible.

I am yet to see an Austin Healey during my commute, though I do see a Daimler Dart driven by an old boy in Camden from time to time.

wmcbrine said:
phb10186 said:
Lost skills from an era of beauty for sure, but also an era when what didn't leak oil or smoke ended up rusting and falling off.
500x375.jpg

amen.

To be fair, looking after a classic car is really easy. All you have to do is take the whole thing apart piece by piece, take all the paint off the body, cut out all the rust and replace with new steel, galvanize it, re-paint it, under-seal it and then put everything back in the reverse order to how it came out. And while you're doing that, you may as well upgrade or replace 90% of it.

On an IMIEV note... I have seen several of the ICE cars for sale (07 and 08 years mostly) in the UK with bad rust on the rear arches... so I now take special care to clean that area, and I under-sealed the entire car over the summer.

phb10186 said:
Ive seen those figures about the IMIEV in the UK, and all I can think of is that the database is riddled with inaccuracy - though I was led to beleive it runs off DVLA data, in no way can I accept there are 10 times the number of Austin Healeys in the UK as there are Mitsubishi IMIEVs... and if it's true then they sold a load less that I am led to believe. I see at least 10 commonly in use in London of the I or clone varieties, usually while commuting in to the centre of London on the scooter - and ive seen about another 20 or so elsewhere around here... so I can believe it. It means that between me and my parents, we have about 1% of the UK IMIEV fleet (2 cars), which sounds impossible.

I am yet to see an Austin Healey during my commute, though I do see a Daimler Dart driven by an old boy in Camden from time to time.
The Austin Healey figure does sound stupidly high to me too, and yes, the consistency of the data in that database is annoyingly poor.
Re. the i-MiEV and clones - I think where you live - London? - may skew the distribution, due to the congestion charge, plus them being a good 'city car' due to turning circle and size.
I also see a lot (of clones) down here, and I attribute that to a dealer basically offering as many as they could get hold of from PSA for 1/2 list price.
I have only seen one i-MiEV down here, and I'm pretty sure it was visiting (out of county number plates).

misterbleepy said:
phb10186 said:

The Austin Healey figure does sound stupidly high to me too, and yes, the consistency of the data in that database is annoyingly poor.
Re. the i-MiEV and clones - I think where you live - London? - may skew the distribution, due to the congestion charge, plus them being a good 'city car' due to turning circle and size.
I also see a lot (of clones) down here, and I attribute that to a dealer basically offering as many as they could get hold of from PSA for 1/2 list price.
I have only seen one i-MiEV down here, and I'm pretty sure it was visiting (out of county number plates).

Not as many as you may think actually... Loads of PHEVs, Leafs, Zoe and I3s, and many many Teslas now. Funny thing in London is that OK, you get the Congestion Tax free, but you don't get parking discounted in any way other than in Westminster, but they only give you about 4 hours max - so that effectively prevents you commuting in (unless you have your own space - very rare). All motorbikes are both congestion charge free, and free to park in motorbike bays, so in effect the perks on a bike outweigh even an EV (unless it's raining)... so actually, not as many EV perks as they planned. Since I live 13 miles from the city, that commute by car would take 1.5hrs, so it's not feasible anyway unless I were to leave home extremely early to beat the traffic.

I think they are going towards banning cars that arent PHEV or BEV from central London... many many buses are now EVs, and to be fair, anything that improves the air quality gets my vote, as it's currently disgusting.

Funnily enough, I saw 2 IMIEV clones today about 50m apart in Sheffield city centre, while I was up there for work.

There's absolutely nothing nice about driving in London these days, so for me, anything that gives me a competitive advantage in terms of space is great, so actually the IMIEV makes a near perfect 2nd car for all the rubbish journeys I do, where my old ICE cars were effectively warming up or in traffic about 50% of the time... I also don't get nearly as bothered by traffic in the EV, as its more or less off.

They may have just bought them from elsewhere...I don't think i've ever had a car with London plate designations... I bought the IMIEV from the Sussex coast and got it home 90 miles on that inaugural trip without charging, by being exceptionally careful.

I just got rid of my 2012 SE, dead cell in HV battery, wouldn't charge, needed another HV battery, gave Hurst Autoplex Mitsubishi the title yesterday in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. (Dec.9.2023). I have 4 tires and a spare wheel with another bald tire on it in the shed, and would meet you somewhere for tree to give them to you. Please reply if interested. 2 175/60r15, 2 145/65r15

Back