Re: Kiwi in Slovakia

Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:01 am

Marvelous!
2012 iMIEV ES

KiwiEV

Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:08 am

Hi folks,

I wanted to share this here before I share it with the rest of the world tomorrow: http://kiwiev.com/taking-the-electric-car-skiing/

In this 'episode' I look at my battery condition and a replacement battery cost (I need a drink after getting that email back). :lol:

Then, ultimately, we took our little city EV skiing to the mountains. It may not have been the most fun journey I've ever made in the EV, but it was an excellent test of the car under the pressure of the elements. I'm finishing up the video later today with luck.

Can't wait for the extra range of summer. I have some much more fun trips in mind!

JoeS
Site Moderator

Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:44 pm

Wow, wonderful - that was a very long trip, especially in winter! Congratulations, and sorry you didn't get more time in skiing. Looking forward to the video.

Question: what is the noise level of your diesel air heater? At the end of winter, I hope you'll have a video segment assessing the attributes, negatives, and overall performance and your satisfaction with your unique diesel heater installation.

JoeS (from California - no snow where I live, but record-breaking flooding just down the road and wonderful snowfalls in the Sierra mountains, finally breaking our drought).
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla S85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Phximiev

Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:43 pm

KiwiEV wrote:Hi folks,

I wanted to share this here before I share it with the rest of the world tomorrow: http://kiwiev.com/taking-the-electric-car-skiing/

In this 'episode' I look at my battery condition and a replacement battery cost (I need a drink after getting that email back). :lol:

Then, ultimately, we took our little city EV skiing to the mountains. It may not have been the most fun journey I've ever made in the EV, but it was an excellent test of the car under the pressure of the elements. I'm finishing up the video later today with luck.

Can't wait for the extra range of summer. I have some much more fun trips in mind!

Marvelous! Lookin' forward to the video!
2012 iMIEV ES

blackheart

Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:43 pm

Excellent write up as always!!!
'Is treading water actually swimming - or just prolonged drowning"

-2012 MItsubishi I-Miev - BlackJack
-1989 GMC Sierra 4x4
-2015 RadRover Emonster bike
-2000 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Classic

EVSEupgrade

phb10186

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:35 am

Phximiev wrote:
KiwiEV wrote:Hi folks,

Marvelous! Lookin' forward to the video!

Actually thats quite a good deal compared to the £11,500 replacement cost of my wifes Honda Insight Gen 2 CVT gearbox, that contains nothing other than cogs, sensors and a rubber band!... significant pain in the butt, as the dealer missed the failure under the extended warranty, and now that's up- but I'm dealing with that at the moment via a legal route.

Replacement battery cost is a bit of a strange one, because you may never need more than a cell or 2... to that end (and I know what a task getting the pack out would be - but it makes sense for someone to purchase a totaled car and distribute the batteries. I would personally be happy to pay for a couple, and ensure that the dismantler was adequately reimbursed... working out how to tackle the job would be another issue.

Also, I had thought that the individual circuit boards would be more of an issue than a pack failing in general... one dry joint and...

Dare I say that the pack is badly designed - it should have been installed upside down, to enable the bottom to be pulled off and replacement cells changed out - but that's an aftermarket care issue that Mitsu likely wanted to avoid for many many reasons.
2012 I-MIEV Keiko Silver 11K
2010 Insight ES-T 43K
2001 Accord Type-V (F23 manual)
2009 Hornet CB600F
2008 SH300

KiwiEV

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:45 am

Thank you for the kind words, everyone. You know, I still don't know why I keep churning these videos out.

Here it is, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBaHExHwrbs

JoeS, regarding the noise of the heater. I haven't measured it, but the fan does make a "fan noise" when running at 100% which is probably the same in volume as the car's existing fan when set to Max. Once the car's up to temperature, I normally dial the diseasel heater back down to about 50% which is fairly comfortable in terms of noise. It's about the same as the road noise when you're moving at a comfy speed.

The biggest problem with the diesel heater is keeping my feet warm. I've been meaning to install a duct from the back to the front footwells with a little computer fan in the middle but my laziness gland is too powerful. :D

Phximiev

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:39 pm

:D

One question, how much diesel is used per hour by the air heater?
2012 iMIEV ES

JoeS
Site Moderator

Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:14 pm

KiwiEV, thank you for the very-nicely (as-always) produced video, and for answering my question. Enjoyed the video!

Lesson learned, following marine and air navigation (belt+suspenders) methodology: don't trust a single nav source - in this case, another GPS/GoogleMap or an old-fashioned paper map - you'd have had at least three hours of skiing. :P

Second lesson learned (to stay warm) is to either carry more spare fuel or (horrors) pull into a petrol station.

Otherwise, glad all went well on this extremely LONG trip, which I'll wager set some sort of a record for the i-MiEV (need to research the back files on this website to see if there's anything comparable). I'm very impressed by the DCQC infrastructure in Slovakia!

Congratulations, and thank you for sharing. :D
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla S85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)

JoeS
Site Moderator

Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:59 am

KiwiEV, I added your accomplishment to the record books:

Maximum Miles Driven in One Day -
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=494&start=60#p31984

Reviewing your video again, must say it was quite an adventure, fueled by the uncertainty of charging station availability and the winter conditions. Wonderful that you have a partner who is such a good sport!

I smiled a bit as I saw some conservatism creeping into your charging habits - but best not to take unnecessary chances in winter.

Question: on CHAdeMO I saw you charging up to 95%. Do you do that in one shot, or does the car stop charging at 80% and you have to plug it in again to keep going? The reason I ask is that my North American 2012 i-MiEV always stops charging at 80% using CHAdeMO.

Also, I'm curious what your electricity costs were for this trip?

Return to “iMiev Pictures and Videos”