CHAdeMO or no CHAdeMO question

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarQuestion

Is there an easy way to tell from looking at an i-Miev whether it has the quick charge/CHAdeMO port or not? I had thought that having a fuel door-type hatch on each side rather than only one side meant that the car had both a Level 2 and CHAdeMO port, but in looking at more pictures, it looks like all I-Mievs have these hatches on both sides. Maybe I’m wrong about that though?

Same question for if there’s a way to know if there’s a rear backup camera from looking at the exterior of the car, but I’m assuming there probably isn’t any way to know that without seeing the interior of the car.

Welcome to the forum! - Glad you found us :)

True, all NA iMiEV's have the charge doors on both sides. QC was an option on ES models (those with the steel wheels) and if so equipped, the little lever beside the drivers seat which opens the left side charge door is a clue - If you see that little lever, it has QC - No lever there, it doesn't. The SE models (alloy wheels, DRL & fog lights but the standard radio (no Nav screen) none of those came with QC and it wasn't an option on them either, so if it has stock alloy wheels, you look for the uprated sound system which has the Nav screen - That's an SE Premium and ALL those came with QC

So, for ES models, (steel wheels) it was an option, for the SE model, none of them had QC and for the SE Premium, ALL of them have QC. Only the SE Premium's came with the back-up camera . . . . none of the others had a screen to display it on

Hope this helps!

Don

Don said:
Welcome to the forum! - Glad you found us :)

True, all NA iMiEV's have the charge doors on both sides. QC was an option on ES models (those with the steel wheels) and if so equipped, the little lever beside the drivers seat which opens the left side charge door is a clue - If you see that little lever, it has QC - No lever there, it doesn't. The SE models (alloy wheels, DRL & fog lights but the standard radio (no Nav screen) none of those came with QC and it wasn't an option on them either, so if it has stock alloy wheels, you look for the uprated sound system which has the Nav screen - That's an SE Premium and ALL those came with QC

So, for ES models, (steel wheels) it was an option, for the SE model, none of them had QC and for the SE Premium, ALL of them have QC. Only the SE Premium's came with the back-up camera . . . . none of the others had a screen to display it on

Hope this helps!

Don

What Don has posted here is absolutely true and complete, yet he fails to mention anywhere in his post , that he is referring to the 2012 model year only which was the first year that the i-miev was available in North America.

It was also sold in model years 2014, 2016, and 2017. In those model years it was available in 1 trim only (ES) and yet there was more standard equipment such as all cars came with alloy wheels and all cars came with CHAdeMO DC fast charge as standard equipment.

This is my first EV. Her name is Ruby and she has both CHAdeMO and level 1 charging ports. CHAdeMO is on the left/driver side. She’s raspberry metallic and I love her so far. She’s a 2012 and had 36K miles on her and the highest range she’ll give me is 51 miles. (This is my first post.)

EVNewbieUSA, welcome to the forum! Congratulations for getting an i-MiEV with CHAdeMO. The right-rear charging port is referred to as the J1772 port and handles both Level 1 (120vac) and Level 2 (240vac).

How long have you had the car?

What you'll find is that range is whatever you need it to be, and drive accordingly. In the early days we had lots of posts about hypermiling and how to squeeze out every last mile from the car, only to realize that it's almost never necessary and most of us don't even think about it any more. Lots of discussions in this subforum: http://myimiev.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=28

In a nutshell, if you think you'll have a problem getting to your destination, then SLOW DOWN, seriously, as aerodynamic drag is the biggest contributor to range reduction. Huge difference in range on an Interstate driving 70mph vs. 55mph. If it's winter, turn off the heater to maximize your range.

The Range Remaining indicator (one of the selectable screens on the right hand display) is merely a prediction based on how you have driven for the past 15 miles and assumes the same conditions will hold true. Different speeds, altitude changes, HVAC use, etc. can all produce a different result.

Anyhow, feel free to pelt us with questions and start a thread of your own if you wish, and I can even move your first post into it if you'd like. If you have the time to peruse this forum you will probably find just about every question you may have answered, somewhere...

Take care and have fun with Ruby and trust that you are sporting that EV Grin under your facemask. :D

The easy way to spot if a particular car is a 2012 or not is that all newer models (2014, 2016, 2017) had the door trim around the side windows blacked out. 2012 models had body color window trim, with the exception being the two-tone white with blue.

Only this doesn’t apply to Black I-MiEVs, as they all have black window trim.

It the body color is purple, or white with blue hood and hatch, it’s a 2012. If it’s blue, it’s either a 2014 or 2016. As stated above, all 2014\2016\2017 models have CHAdeMO. 2012 models, you’ll have to check for a lever beside the drivers seat on the floor.

Back