New 2016 I-miev, should I buy?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microsharp

Hi fellow members,

I have the opportunity to purchase a brand new 2016 I-miev for about $9200 USD after all rebates and taxes, warranty began Oct 31, 2017. Should I buy an extended warranty for $2000 USD? Is the $9200 price tag a good value, I can’t bargain it down anymore. Thanks for your advice!

Sounds like a good deal. As mentioned, if you have realistic expectations of the I Miev

Is this your first EV , where do you live,

Realistically - as a guideline
In summer conditions, driving on relatively flat roads without air conditioning or heating, with speeds less than 55 miles pH, you can get 60 miles of range. Using AC will cost you a little range.

In northern winters - 20 C - with using heat moderately , same conditions - expect maximum 35 miles of ranges.

You could do better or worse depending on your driving style.
Your biggest range losses come from heating and speed.
Good luck with your decision.

I paid $8,700 for a used one with 3,900 miles on it 4 years ago and Felt like I stole it - Still do

I paid $30K for our first one 6 years ago - Don't regret that either

$9,200 for a brand new one is an incredible deal, IMO - If it's the car that works for you, I'd jump on it

Don

The day before I was going to close on a very nice 2012 ES, with only ~11,000 miles ($7600), I came across used 2016 i-Miev. So I bought it instead, and it should be delivered next week. ~6,000 miles; still under warranty. Only $8300.

Only a thousand more seems an amazing deal for a brand-new one!

My daily commute is 34 miles round-trip, with an occasional 5-10 extra miles for errands. I'm really looking forward to joining the EV revolution, although I am keeping my Honda Element for longer trips.

Thank you for the prompt replies!! I live in Toronto and have already driven a Smart ED in the past.
But is an extended warranty worth it for $2000 USD, it will extend the powertrain warranty to 10 years and I believe the comprehensive warranty gets extended as well!! TIA

Extended warranties are a VERY good deal . . . . for those who sell them - Not one in ten actually ends up benefiting the buyer

They are just a 'peace of mind' thing for the buyer, plain and simple. If your peace of mind is worth $2K, then spend it and rest easy. 10 years from now, I predict you'll wish you had your $2K back

Don

Microsharp said:
Thank you for the prompt replies!! I live in Toronto and have already driven a Smart ED in the past.
But is an extended warranty worth it for $2000 USD, it will extend the powertrain warranty to 10 years and I believe the comprehensive warranty gets extended as well!! TIA
I was going to buy the warranty for the 2012 I-Miev. But I've decided not to bother for the 2016. I figure that an extended warranty provides nice piece of mind for a used car when you really don't know anything about its history. But for new cars that have decent reliability ratings, I prefer to save the money and put it towards any repairs that I might need in the future. From everything that I've read, the i-Miev seems very reliable.

Back