Buying advice.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piperpilot35

Hello all!

I'm new to this forum, and an EV bug bit me not too long ago so I've been looking into dipping my toes into the EV world and buying a use iMIEV. I know there's a lot of skepticism on things like battery life, and range, so I figured I'd try and get some answers before I go all in. I recently found a 2014 iMIEV for sale with 35k on it. The dealership is asking $7,998. My question is, If I was to buy this one, how much more use could I possibly get out of it before the batteries start to lose a significant amount of capacity? I've read that Mitsubishi made a statement claiming that the iMIEV's batteries should only lose about 20% capacity over 10 years. Is there any truth to this? Should I just hold off and try and find a lower mileage one? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

-Shaun

Shaun, welcome to the forum.

Whereabouts are you located?
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3196

Since you're considering the i-MiEV, presumably you've done your homework and have matched the car's range and capabilities to your needs. Be sure to read the various threads on this forum about buying used i-MiEVs.

To answer your battery question, I wouldn't worry about it, as battery degradation of the 2012 models appears to be negligible and the 2014 has a slightly improved battery over that in the 2012 models. The battery is covered by a ten-year warranty should it fail outright (it has no degradation warranty). That mileage means this i-MiEV was used quite a bit, but that's not necessarily bad - the unknown is how the previous owner treated the battery, but Mitsubishi has quite a few safeguards built into its battery management system. Where was the car used by the previous owner?

It never hurts to haggle over price, and if the i-MiEV you are looking at is missing the Remote (not the keyfob), that should knock $1K off the price!

Good luck, and if you're like virtually all i-MiEV owners, you won't be disappointed!

Hey Joe! Thanks for the insight. I'm from CT. It's a one owner car that was registered up in Mass. The car itself is in great shape, so I'm hoping that reflects the past owners all around care for the car. That being said, I just found a 2012 at a Chevy dealership on it for the same price. The difference? The 2012 only has 680 miles on it. Shopping for used electric cars is a lot harder than I thought lol.

Welcome!

The 680 mile 2012 might have more miles left in it than the 35K 2014, but that's not a given. It depends on how the battery has been treated

Either way, for $8K I don't see how you could complain - Either will give you several years and many miles. I seriously doubt you would regret buying either one. In the northeast, I would be much more worried about rust than I would about the battery

Don

Hello Shaun,
I posted this information in a previous thread:

"If you are looking at this car at Richard Chevrolet in CT :

http://www.richardchevy.com/VehicleDeta ... 2988336423

DO NOT buy it despite it only has 350 miles! There was a picture showing the warning light for the "Electric motor" is on but the dealership deleted that picture"

Unless the dealership fixed the problem, otherwise I would not get the car.

Not sure if you are still looking but I am getting rid of mine.
2012 , 24,000 miles, SE, DC charger, arm rest, Canion Dongle, seat cover, EVSE

I am in MA, Burlington/Lexington area.
I know it is far but If there was someone here I would rather sell to then donate it.

all recalls done and the brackets for the AC Compressor are replaced.

Would sell for $5,000 even

Back