2012 w/ 18,000 miles - Newbie Question

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostBattalion

I live outside of Boston and have the opportunity to buy a 2012 with 18,000 miles with a garage level 2 charger. I am a teacher and it would be a great car for my 18 mile round trip commute to work.

Two questions -

#1 - I dont see much info on folks who have reached 30,000 - 40,000 miles on the car. How does it perform with these kind of miles under its hood? I need the car to last for a few years with out many headaches..... so feed back regarding owners who have put decent mileage on would be much appreciated.

#2 - It's very hard to get a price point on the car because there are so few of them out there (ebay, cars.com, etc....). What is a ball park price, in your opinions, for a 2012 (basic model) with 18,000. The car is in decent condition but by no means show room condition. As I mentioned, he is also adding the 240 Volt garage charger.

Thanks in advance. I have enjoyed reading a lot of the forum over the past week.

i only have about 21k miles on my 2012, but i got it used earlier this year for $7600 and bought a used level 2 for $300. Runs great 40-50 miles a day, no headaches just fun to drive.

The 2012 models had a list price of about $35k, but the 2016 models list for about $23k, and you get to deduct up to $7500 off of your taxes. So don't pay $15k for a used one--you can get a new one for that after the tax credit.

Good luck on your search and welcome to the forum.

You only get to deduct $7500 off your taxes if you actually owe Uncle Sam $7500 after your tax forms are filled out - If you don't pay any taxes, you don't get anything off the car, which is why 2012 lease returns are such a good deal for many buyers

A 2012 lease return loaded SE Premium with very low miles (3 to 4 thousand) is about $9K to $10K so a base model with 18K on it shouldn't cost you more than $7K to $7500 *including* the remote. If they want more than that or the remote is missing, keep looking for a better deal

Don

Ohh another Mass person !!

It all depends on the price that you will be paying.
I didn't see anything listed around here that had 18k miles.

Does it have QC charger ? I wouldn't pay more then $7k for it.

It is a fun car. Read up on this forum, there is a Great amount of stuff on here.
I have a 16 mile round trip to work and I can plug in at work so it is fun and so worth it !

We have now roughly 30k miles on our 2012 iMiev, and we've not noticed any degradation in range or other issues with the car. We have several iMievs near us for sale, all around $8k, and low (less than 10k) miles. So, I wouldn't pay more than that for one with 18k miles on it, especially if there is no QC. The 240v charger, if used, is not worth more than a couple hundred (you can get a new Clipper Creek EVSE for $379).

Totally different if buying from a friend--then you are trying to make a deal where both sides feel good about it. You can pay a little more for the confidence of knowing the owner took good care of it, getting a charger thrown in the deal, etc.

The lease return cars are an unknown item and you have to get them for less due to the unknown condition and previous life--have to assume the worst and hope for the best...And save money on buying it that may have to be spent later to fix unrevealed defects.

just adding my voice,

got a 2012 MIEV for 9980 at CarMax that had just under 8k on it.

It was a fleet car whose first owner was the regional director for Mitsubishi in this area... soooooo I dunno what that means but it's kinda cool.

does the car also have the 110 iMIEV charger that came with the car?

Cool, welcome aboard. When you say this area, which area? Also you can update your profile to show an area if you choose.

Back