aarond12

Re: Turtle riding (How far has the turtle brought you ?)

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:12 pm

Today was an interesting one. My wife, daughter, and I took my wife's ICE to our friend's house for a party. I was driving and noticed the temperature gauge rising... rising... oh crap! Thankfully, I noticed it before the engine had any permanent damage. I limped it back home (including some coasting with the engine off!) and we got in the i-MiEV.

Now you have to understand: Our friends live 35 miles away, and their house is only accessible by expressway. I considered this in the past and knew this would be nearly impossible on one charge. Oh, and it's mostly uphill. I kept the speed down to the speed limit (you have to understand -- in Texas, speed limits are merely a guideline :lol:) and drafted a large semi truck most of the way at around 60MPH.

We arrived with 7/16 bars available. For once, I displayed the guess-o-meter. It read 32 miles left. That's cutting it too close. Being the nice friends they are, they allowed me to L1 charge at their house using the stock EVSE (8A @ 120VAC). We were there for around 3 hours. The guess-o-meter showed 35 miles, but I knew that was understated. That was just enough to get us home with 3 bars left.

After dropping the wife and kid off, I ran an errand and used a lot of battery going fast. Got it down to 2 bars, just like the manual says to do occasionally. This is the first time I've ever driven so far in my car and the first time I've seen 2 bars. ;)

I'll post what my kill-a-watt meter shows for my power usage later.
2015 Nissan LEAF S

JoeS
Site Moderator

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:36 pm

After you fully charge, your RR will tell the world just how efficiently you'd been driving the last 15 miles or so...

As you saw, there was no reason not to take the iMiEV on a 35-mile (one-way) trip, even with L1 opportunity charging. If you had done the EVSEUpgrade (or had a portable L2 EVSE), with a simple adapter you could have plugged into your friends' dryer outlet and been fully charged before setting off for home. Saves getting ICE anxiety. ;)
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

aarond12

Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:19 am

Agreed. I just ordered one of the Clipper Creek L2 EVSEs on their March Madness deal, and I plan to put a standard 240V plug on the end for use as a portable EVSE as I need it.

Unfortunately, I cannot report my power consumption numbers as my car was still charging this morning! I saw 10.74kWh on my kill-a-watt meter after being plugged in around 8pm. That left me three bars short of a full charge. :evil:
2015 Nissan LEAF S

jaraczs

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:16 pm

Fjpod,
For the first time in this forum, I see someone reporting on what I have observed, too. That is, the last quarter of the charge gives less range. When I was on my mission to drive some 90 miles to visit a friend, I had a passenger recording everything. It turnes out, that the sum of miles driven plus RR increases as we used up first half of the battery, actually reflecting extremely efficient driving style as the last 15 miles for RR calculation at the beginning are not the same as RR after hypermiling. Conversely, the last four bars, no matter how hard I tried, slipped on this figure.
My hypothesis is that the calculation of RR uses 330V fixed voltage while the battery voltage actually decreases as the SOC lowers.
This effect is rather very small and difficult to notice. However, if you typically drive with over 8 bars and need to strech your trip down to the last bar, you may get into unpleasant surprise that those last bars are worth less range. The good thing is that the turtle provides good compensation for it as you can continue driving in turtle mode for maybe 5 miles with no bar (?) - don't take it for granted. At any rate, depleting battery that low is not good for it.

jray3

Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:24 pm

jaracz, I like your hypothesis and will try to post some of my own logging, but my gut is in full support!
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 110,300 miles
2016 KIA SOUL EV, 90 kW, 27 kWh, 34k miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh

nsps

Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:05 am

I recently had my first encounter with the turtle.

My girlfriend and I took a 66 mile round trip with a two more passengers in the back. We were going from Salt Lake City to a small town in Utah called Tooele.

There wasn't really a route I could take that had no freeway driving, but I picked the road that I could drive a bit slower on (and that was a couple miles more direct). I put the car in eco to curb my over-eager acceleration, and tried to drive between 45 and 60 the whole time. (After driving 65-70 on the freeway to work and back most days, my RR is usually between 62 and 66, so I thought I'd be in good shape. Granted, there were three more people in the car so that might have weighed me down.)

One thing the i-MiEV made clear is that there's at least a slight incline on the way there. There weren't a lot of real steep hills, but the incline that was there definitely sucked some energy. By the time we arrived, I'd lost two bars past the halfway point. I knew I'd get some help coming back, but with the range estimate giving me 10 miles less than I needed, I was pretty worried.

After an initial failure to find a place to charge, I went back outside and found a wall outlet to plug into for an hour of 110v/12a charging, which still didn't get me back to the halfway point or to a 33 miles range estimate. I went up from 24 to 27.

Luckily, the incline made a huge difference. After getting over a couple small hills, I was able to drive the first 10 miles coasting or just poking into the green, and my RR was at 28 when I got to the freeway entrance 10 miles later. The rest of the drive was less consistently downhill, however, and I still ended up seeing the turtle with 2 or 3 miles to go. I made it home before it went to slow down mode or anything, but it was still a little worrying.

It all worked out OK, but after this experience, I'm not sure I'd attempt going more than 60 miles round trip without assured access to L2 charging or a few hours at L1.

RobertC

Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:56 am

nsps wrote:I recently had my first encounter with the turtle.

Your story reminds us of how we need more charging stations.
If Tooele had a DC Fast Charge station, say at the local shopping center, you could have made a quick 15 minute stop and had plenty of charge to make a convenient round trip.
When I have to make a longer trip I also map it out and am disappointed when I can't take my i-MiEV simply because there are no charging stations.
I feel that a network of DC Fast Charge stations will lead to greater acceptability of electric vehicles.
The sales pitch for DC Fast Charge stations is "50 miles range in 15 minutes." Who doesn't have 15 minutes?
”Red” - 2018 Red Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive Tesla Model 3 - 11/27/18
“Blue” - 2018 Kinetic Blue Chevy Bolt Premier with QC - 5/13/18
"Purple" - 2012 Raspberry Metallic ES with QC - 4/10/2013

aarond12

Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:26 am

RobertC wrote:Who doesn't have 15 minutes?

Do you work for Geico? :lol:
(Apologies to US visitors for the joke; apologies to non-US visitors for not understanding the reference.)
2015 Nissan LEAF S

PV1
Site Moderator

Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:18 pm

jaraczs wrote:Fjpod,
For the first time in this forum, I see someone reporting on what I have observed, too. That is, the last quarter of the charge gives less range. The good thing is that the turtle provides good compensation for it as you can continue driving in turtle mode for maybe 5 miles with no bar (?) - don't take it for granted. At any rate, depleting battery that low is not good for it.

Maybe the turtle is why the last few bars disappear so quickly, which would then beg the question, why weren't the rest of the bars shifted so all are equal? I noticed this with my car, too. Quite a cold chill when you're 8 miles out and suddenly go from 4 to 2 bars over 3 miles. Although I have noticed 3 miles RR with no bars and no turtle.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015
"Photon" - 2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

nsps

Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:45 pm

RobertC wrote:
nsps wrote:I recently had my first encounter with the turtle.

Your story reminds us of how we need more charging stations.
If Tooele had a DC Fast Charge station, say at the local shopping center, you could have made a quick 15 minute stop and had plenty of charge to make a convenient round trip.
When I have to make a longer trip I also map it out and am disappointed when I can't take my i-MiEV simply because there are no charging stations.
I feel that a network of DC Fast Charge stations will lead to greater acceptability of electric vehicles.
The sales pitch for DC Fast Charge stations is "50 miles range in 15 minutes." Who doesn't have 15 minutes?

Definitely. Even if the Walgreens there had an L2 charger, I could have taken my folding bike, dropped my passengers off, dropped the car there and rode my bike to meet them. Unfortunately there were zero charging options of any kind, and I only lucked out that there was an empty parking space by the 110v power outlet at the hotel next door.

Return to “Driving the iMiev - Range - Energy Efficiency - Operating Cost”