jray3
Posts: 1515
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:05 am
Location: Tacoma area, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Turtle riding (How far has the turtle brought you ?)

Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:00 pm

I'll accept PV1's defense this time, but my wife certainly has a much better lifetime efficiency average in MR BEAN. Unless circumstances are extenuating, I usually drive it like I stole it.

Sandange, my recalibration recharge was on L2 in freezing temperatures. I have't studied it, but have not noticed any long-lasting effect of recalibration, probably because we do it so often. This morning when I left home with the heater blasting, RR was 45, just like normal.

MR BEAN gets two deep L1 recharges per week during my wife's overnight shifts, and usually gets down to two bars or less for a recalibration recharge on L2 at least once per week. The main change in our usage pattern is that I now use DCFC pretty rarely. Due to the unreliability and cost of DCFC, I'm down to maybe one session per month rather than at least one per week, which was the rule from 2012-2015. We did this by having my wife keep the car on what used to be a double-electric commute day, but the net effect is only shifting about 15-20 more miles per week to our gasser.
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 90,000 miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

Don
Site Moderator
Posts: 2703
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 3:55 pm
Location: Biloxi MS

Re: Turtle riding (How far has the turtle brought you ?)

Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:10 pm

PV1 wrote:
Don wrote:She was hypermiling pretty well . . . . :lol:

Don

Maybe, but the distance driven by Jay should've mostly overwritten the previous drive (16.4 miles total - 1.5 mile tow = 14.9 miles driven by Jay).
True, but the last 15 miles only serves to show you how far you can then go based on what's left - When you recharge and get 85 miles RR, that's based on how you drove for the entire charge used, not just the last 15 miles

Carolyn does really well when driving the car too, though I don't think she really tries hard . . . . she just has a light foot

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

barrylevine
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:22 am

Re: Turtle riding (How far has the turtle brought you ?)

Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:27 pm

I just drove about the last 5 miles of a 61 mile trip with the turtle lit up (and was very glad to pull into my driveway.) My first instance of turtle riding. But I don't understand why this happened. I've driven this same route a few times previously with about 12 miles range remaining. It's a non-highway route done mostly at 35-45 mph. The car was fully charged (done overnight the previous day, then sat unused for 1 day). I wasn't using the heater. It's a 2016 iMiev, with less than 4k miles.

The only thing I can think is that I hadn't run the SOC gauge down to below 2 bars for a while. Is it possible to get a false empty reading due to lack of gauge recalibration? False turtle?

JoeS
Site Moderator
Posts: 3512
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:47 am
Location: Los Altos Hills, California

Re: Turtle riding (How far has the turtle brought you ?)

Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:54 pm

barrylevine wrote:The only thing I can think is that I hadn't run the SOC gauge down to below 2 bars for a while. Is it possible to get a false empty reading due to lack of gauge recalibration? False turtle?
Barrylevine, your trip could be classified as a bit of a nailbiter and glad you made it home without having to push the car. To answer your question, I don't think it' a gauge calibration issue, but perhaps others have some ideas...

How about some external factors:

1. Ambient temperature (even though you did not run the heater)
2. Headwind (this is often a sleeper)
3. Not paying attention during the first part of the trip and then very belatedly realizing that perhaps a bit of hypermiling was needed to get home
4. Rain or snow
5. Tire pressure

When you started your trip, do you remember your RR?
After your return, recharging gave you what RR?

In any case, if you fully fully recharged after that turtle experience then your system probably recalibrated itself. Always fun to check things with EVBatMon (capacity) and CaniOn (cell balance) when you're at extremes.

Good luck, and let us know how you do on this same trip in the future.

BTW, whereabouts are you located?
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3196
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

barrylevine
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:22 am

Re: Turtle riding (How far has the turtle brought you ?)

Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm located in a suburb of Boston.
When I started the trip, my RR was about 54 miles. Usually it's 70 or even 80 something after recharging, if I've been on non-highway roads, which is typical.
So I thought that was a little low, but thought maybe it reflected a recent stint on a highway. The SOC was full.
We've had some temperatures in the 20's - 30's (F). That's not really THAT cold.

I did have the windshield defroster set on the bottom dash dial, although no A/C or heat was selected, and no fan. That never seemed to much of a range depleter.

I was a little heavy footed on the way out on this trip, I'll admit.

Once I got home and recharged, RR was 58. That seemed pretty low after such a sedate drive home. Usually after this trip, the recharged RR is in the low 80's.

I may have to look into the diagnostic equipment (Canion), or see if the dealer can check the battery. The car is only 6 months old.

JoeS wrote:
barrylevine wrote:The only thing I can think is that I hadn't run the SOC gauge down to below 2 bars for a while. Is it possible to get a false empty reading due to lack of gauge recalibration? False turtle?
Barrylevine, your trip could be classified as a bit of a nailbiter and glad you made it home without having to push the car. To answer your question, I don't think it' a gauge calibration issue, but perhaps others have some ideas...

How about some external factors:

1. Ambient temperature (even though you did not run the heater)
2. Headwind (this is often a sleeper)
3. Not paying attention during the first part of the trip and then very belatedly realizing that perhaps a bit of hypermiling was needed to get home
4. Rain or snow
5. Tire pressure

When you started your trip, do you remember your RR?
After your return, recharging gave you what RR?

In any case, if you fully fully recharged after that turtle experience then your system probably recalibrated itself. Always fun to check things with EVBatMon (capacity) and CaniOn (cell balance) when you're at extremes.

Good luck, and let us know how you do on this same trip in the future.

BTW, whereabouts are you located?
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3196

kiev
Posts: 712
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 7:15 am
Location: The Heart o' Dixie
Contact: Website

Re: Turtle riding (How far has the turtle brought you ?)

Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:15 pm

32F = 0C which is considered very low by the batteries
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

JoeS
Site Moderator
Posts: 3512
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:47 am
Location: Los Altos Hills, California

Re: Turtle riding (How far has the turtle brought you ?)

Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:32 am

barrylevine wrote:...I did have the windshield defroster set on the bottom dash dial, although no A/C or heat was selected, and no fan. That never seemed to much of a range depleter....
Hmm, that setting automatically turns on A/C (the light comes on) and I can't help wonder if the heater is not simultaneously engaged (despite the top knob being horizontal) - there's a discussion of this somewhere on this forum. A few weeks ago I engaged that rare (for me) setting and was surprised to see both the fuel gauge and RR drop quickly.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Don
Site Moderator
Posts: 2703
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 3:55 pm
Location: Biloxi MS

Re: Turtle riding (How far has the turtle brought you ?)

Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:48 pm

On my cars, it doesn't turn on the A/C *if* the fan is set to OFF like he said his was

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

JoeS
Site Moderator
Posts: 3512
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:47 am
Location: Los Altos Hills, California

Re: Turtle riding (How far has the turtle brought you ?)

Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:03 pm

Don wrote:On my cars, it doesn't turn on the A/C *if* the fan is set to OFF like he said his was
Good point, and I failed to take that into account. I invariably have the fan going and the external air flowing through. Will check it when I get home (I'm still in OZ and saw my second EV, a Tesla).
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

barrylevine
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:22 am

Re: Turtle riding (How far has the turtle brought you ?)

Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:01 am

JoeS wrote:
barrylevine wrote:The only thing I can think is that I hadn't run the SOC gauge down to below 2 bars for a while. Is it possible to get a false empty reading due to lack of gauge recalibration? False turtle?
Barrylevine, your trip could be classified as a bit of a nailbiter and glad you made it home without having to push the car. To answer your question, I don't think it' a gauge calibration issue, but perhaps others have some ideas...

How about some external factors:

1. Ambient temperature (even though you did not run the heater)
2. Headwind (this is often a sleeper)
3. Not paying attention during the first part of the trip and then very belatedly realizing that perhaps a bit of hypermiling was needed to get home
4. Rain or snow
5. Tire pressure


It's looking like ambient temperature does take a nice bite out of the range, irrespective of other sources of battery drain.

During summer and spring, RR after various non-highway 40-60 mile runs followed by overnight recharge (always at 12A, 120V) was 80-90 mi.
During 20-30F weather I started getting RR values after recharge around 60.
Since my first post on this topic I did a non-highway run of about 40 miles (with a starting RR in the 60's) during a warm spell around 50F.
Overnight recharge ran the RR back to 87. (sigh of relief, battery is OK).
Next day colder (about 30 F) , did a run of about 40 miles easy-going on back roads. Charged overnight, during which the temperature dropped into the 20's. And the RR = 64 in the morning.

Return to “Driving the iMiev - Range - Energy Efficiency - Operating Cost”