Graphs of the power i have been using

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JrCRXHF

I am going to post every so often the data off my blink charger so people can see and comment as need be. I am a data person so i just like to see data and thought others might too.

blink%252520may%2525202012.jpg

The dollars saved is a funny number they come up with i save way more then that vs driving the diesel truck around.

Dollars saved assumes that 1 gallon of gasoline produces the equivalent of 32.78 kWh, 21.2% of the energy in a gallon is used to power and move the vehicle, and fuel price is $3.50 per gallon. This takes cost per kWh into account and uses the rate you set or $0.1147 per kWh by default. It is calculated by the formula:

Dollars saved = ((total kWh used * 0.1439) * 3.50) - (kWh rate * total kWh used)

"Dollars saved assumes that 1 gallon of gasoline produces the equivalent of 32.78 kWh"

I'm not sure how you get that figure. the MiEV has a 16 kwh battery and at least for me a full charge gets about 75 miles of range. Assuming a car that gets 25 mpg, it would take 3 gallons of gas to get the same range. Therefore, 1 gallon of gas equals 5.33 kwh (16 kwh/3 gallons).

Can you explain the difference?

tonymil said:
"Dollars saved assumes that 1 gallon of gasoline produces the equivalent of 32.78 kWh"

I'm not sure how you get that figure. The MiEV has a 16 kwh battery and at least for me a full charge gets about 75 miles of range. Assuming a car that gets 25 mpg, it would take 3 gallons of gas to get the same range. Therefore, 1 gallon of gas equals 5.33 kwh (16 kwh/3 gallons).

Can you explain the difference?
tonymil,
You are correct. 5.33 kWh is the energy the iMiEV uses to go the same distance of an average ICE gas car while using one gallon of gas, but 5.33 kWh is not the total energy stored in a gallon of gasoline. To get the total energy stored in gasoline we need to burn it while carefully measuring the heat the gas gives off. I did that experiment in high school.

For Miles per Gallon of Gasoline Equivalent (MPGe) the EPA says 1 gallon of gasoline=33.7 kWh of chemical energy.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/evsbs.shtml

I like to think that my iMiEV battery carries the energy of half a gallon of gas.

I had 72 miles on the 15.5kW of power used the information on the top is based on the life of the charger.

I can not get all the information i want out of it the thing one thing i want to know is what is the dip in the charge graph about 1/2 way down i always get it. The peak at the far right is me turning on the heat in the house to warm up the car this morning so that is how much power it uses in defrost mode.

tonymil,
You are correct. 5.33 kWh is the energy the iMiEV uses to go the same distance of an average ICE gas car while using one gallon of gas, but 5.33 kWh is not the total energy stored in a gallon of gasoline. To get the total energy stored in gasoline we need to burn it while carefully measuring the heat the gas gives off. I did that experiment in high school.

For Miles per Gallon of Gasoline Equivalent (MPGe) the EPA says 1 gallon of gasoline=33.7 kWh of chemical energy.

I like to think that my iMiEV battery carries the energy of half a gallon of gas.

Also, the iMiEV is more efficient than the typical ICE, hence it's 112 miles per gallon-equivalent EPA rating which compares quite favorably with a 25 miles per gallon gasoline powered car.

Jenn

jennrod12 said:
tonymil,

Also, the iMiEV is more efficient than the typical ICE, hence it's 112 miles per gallon-equivalent EPA rating which compares quite favorably with a 25 miles per gallon gasoline powered car.

Jenn

if i charge at 11:00pm to 7:00am we get power for .06 which is 1/2 what the epa 112mpge is based on.

JrCRXHF said:
if i charge at 11:00pm to 7:00am we get power for .06 which is 1/2 what the epa 112mpge is based on.
It doesn't matter - MPGe is how far you can go on so many kilowatts of electricity - What you paid for that electricity has nothing to do with the equation . . . . just as what you pay for gasoline in a 30 MPG ICE car doesn't have anything to do with computing the MPG

Don

So the difference between 5.33 kwh and 33.7 kwh is the amount of lost energy due to the inefficiency of an ice? Wow.

Don said:
JrCRXHF said:
It doesn't matter - MPGe is how far you can go on so many kilowatts of electricity - What you paid for that electricity has nothing to do with the equation . . . . just as what you pay for gasoline in a 30 MPG ICE car doesn't have anything to do with computing the MPG

Don

yeah i was thinking one thing typing another. I was thinking about there yearly fuel cost for the car which is based off of .11 per kW

Back