97 miles on single charge with 2012 Mitsubishi iMiEV (US model)

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. . . . and done completely in 'B' Mode you will note - For those here who say this isn't the most efficient way to drive . . . . well, he should be able to do well over a hundred miles if he was using whatever mode you *think* is most efficient, huh? :lol:

Don

Don said:
. . . . and done completely in 'B' Mode you will note - For those here who say this isn't the most efficient way to drive . . . . well, he should be able to do well over a hundred miles if he was using whatever mode you *think* is most efficient, huh? :lol:

Don

I think others should do a similar video running in the other gears. I don't know what is more efficient but I like D a lot. Pedal feels great and I like the amount of resistance and if necessary just touch the brake a little but mostly look way ahead and don't need to. I drive on the highway a lot so its probably not that much of a difference for me. I tried B for a long time and didn't notice much of a difference and was annoyed by the pedal feel and response. I kind of feel like if I am very careful I can achieve close to the same thing, at least enough for me to be happy with the balance of the experience and energy savings. I won't be able to contribute a video because I don't have anywhere to go that distance. My challenge is trying to get home from work and back on cold days without charging because I get free charging at work, so there's always the varying temperature involved and my hand on the heater control. So I'll have to rely on the results of someone else's tests to convince me to put it in B on those cold days! I did make a mental note of the B mode while watching the video and I do think it is better in the city but not sure about highway. Seems like when I watch the power indicator and am doing 55-60, and switch between B and D, it tends to stay in lower in eco when I'm in D, on average...if I am very careful with my foot.

I think I have too much of a lead foot for D/B mode, in Eco Mode I can keep the needle more to the left much easier. I haven't had a chance to measure this in Cani0n but I seem to drive more efficiently in Eco Mode. I switch to B mode occasionally when I need to decelerate faster.

When I see traffic slowing/stopping well ahead I find I can glide to a near stop in Eco Mode nicely, in B mode I usually miss and have to accelerate a bit as I am 20-30 feet away from the car in front :eek:

My wife hates Eco mode, says it's like driving a golf cart :lol:

ChrisEV said:
I think I have too much of a lead foot for D/B mode, in Eco Mode I can keep the needle more to the left much easier. I haven't had a chance to measure this in Cani0n but I seem to drive more efficiently in Eco Mode. I switch to B mode occasionally when I need to decelerate faster.

When I see traffic slowing/stopping well ahead I find I can glide to a near stop in Eco Mode nicely, in B mode I usually miss and have to accelerate a bit as I am 20-30 feet away from the car in front :eek:

My wife hates Eco mode, says it's like driving a golf cart :lol:

Yes I think that's why they call it Eco mode. In one of the i-Miev videos I recently watched on Youtube, someone describing the different gears mentions that Eco mode is the most economical. My take on that is because of exactly what you are saying, for most people, B mode may cause them to drive less economical because of the harshness of the braking which then kills your roll too much and then you spend more energy getting your mo back.

Don said:

Don

Absolutely! I'm confident I could beat his results by not using B mode (using D and N instead). Two weeks ago I went hiking on 10k trail. Had to do some work related stops in town on the way back. Total of 78.6 miles getting back to the house with 18.5% SOC remaining. Ran the AC and shared it with the battery pack about 65% of the trip. This trip has a 5,000 ft elevation change to get up there. 40% freeway miles, speed limit 65mph. I got lucky on this trip and followed a heavy semi up the freeway section averaging about 50 mph. traffic was running 65 to 70 mph down the same stretch on the way back. Canion doesn't lie! Coasting in N at 140 to 170+ mi/kWh is a "tad" more efficient than in any drive mode at 17 to 21 mi/kWh down the same grade at a constant speed.

For the 97 mile trip (the one with the best efficiency) he averaged 5.35 mi/kWh. On my mountain hiking excursions, I regularly have average round trip efficiency in the 6.6 to 6.9 mi/kWh range. Theoretically at 6.75 mi/kWH (assuming our battery capacity is comparable) 6.75 mi/kWH / 5.35 mi/kWH x 97 miles = 122 miles (on a single charge) would be possible using D and N optimally.

Aerowhatt

When the red needle is on the letter c in the word "Eco" of the power meter, the car is drawing 25 Amps. When the needle is straight up it is 50 Amps, the next tick to the right is 100 and the last to the far right is 150 A.

Assuming these are full 50 A-hr cells would imply that you could drive for 2 hours at the 25 Amp rate. So at what speed can you maintain while holding the throttle to keep the needle at "c" or less?

An 88 mile trip over 2 hours would be average speed of 44 mph.

Acceleration and hills really cause the red power needle to swing up, usually above the c .

i haven't tested to see how long it takes to accelerate to whatever top speed can be hit while holding 25 Amps. If it is close to 44 mph then theoretically you could make it. But we know that these packs don't allow use of the fully rated 50 A-hr, so that has to be factored into the mix also.

The instant display of power draw on an analog meter is one of the best features of these cars that i really love and enjoy--never get tired of burying that thang and pegging the needle and getting the EV grin.

Aerowhatt said:
Absolutely! I'm confident I could beat his results by not using B mode (using D and N instead).
Aerowhatt

Cool! I've often thought that N was a good option for downhill. Doesn't make sense to me to brake even if recharging.

Can you tell us more about your style?

You say accellerate briskly, so where is your needle during that?

In what circumstances do you switch to N? Like how long would the hill need to be to be worth the switch?

When you are on the highway where is your needle and what is your speed?

And anything else you can think of.....

Thanks

Bradley's questions are hard to answer- but we can be confident that the driving mode makes absolutely no difference in energy use during steady-state cruising, it only differs during acceleration and deceleration.

I've found N to be useful in the mountains, as at 60+ mph, the i-MiEV's fairly poor aerodynamics create enough drag to not allow acceleration during coasting on even the steepest interstate highway downgrades. Coasting down the hill will get you farther than regenning down and then having to add back power sooner. Regenning down a mountain at say, 35 mph allows significant energy recovery, but going that slowly is not advisable on Snoqualmie Pass during good weather- I don't wanna be the i smooshed on a log truck bumper!

bradleydavidgood777 said:
Cool! I've often thought that N was a good option for downhill. Doesn't make sense to me to brake even if recharging.

It depends on the circumstances. If you need to go slower than the grade allows for than coasting in N then you should definitely be in a drive mode. I use D for two reasons. I get to use brake lights easily and often, to help keep the drivers behind me out of trouble. It’s right next to N making changing back and forth super easy.

Can you tell us more about your style?

When it comes to “style” the most important thing is to be steady on the accelerator.
Also, the further the throttle (or regen brake) input is from the current motor speed the less power efficient the transition is.
For example: lets say you are on the Freeway and want to pass from behind a car going 50 mph and a speed limit of 65 mph. If you do so by going deep into the throttle until 65mph is reached. You waste power to motor heating and less efficient battery discharge. If you use a graduated throttle increase (as short as three seconds to increase throttle evenly) it will waste far less power. Most of the “style” habits as I think of them require awareness of upcoming changes and hazards. And an ongoing plan for lane changes etc. Proactive of, not reactive to traffic, etc. Basically, good defensive driving practices.

You say accelerate briskly, so where is your needle during that?

I have found that there is not enough difference between a 2C acceleration and a 3C acceleration to ever use 3C acceleration (except in an “emergency” type situation). 3C acceleration especially at low speeds wastes a lot of power to battery and inverter/motor system inefficiency. That’s the great thing about the iMiev one can move with traffic, or more briskly than traffic off the line easily without going above 2C. So accelerating briskly the needle is between the first mark and the second. When exiting the freeway or approaching a red light I brake very lightly and long so it’s all Regen. After a bit of practice I found it easy to tell where friction braking begins in the brake pedal throw. Avoid it, as best possible. N can be used around town in fewer circumstances but after a while you see opportunities that arise. The car coasts so well in N that on flat ground at low speed (35 mph or so), slowing is gradual enough to not irritate traffic behind me

In what circumstances do you switch to N? Like how long would the hill need to be to be worth the switch?

Anytime that I can coast without exceeding the speed limit by more than 5 mph or without slowing quickly enough to be awkward for those following behind me. If I wouldn’t be in N for more than say 4 seconds, I won’t bother. When I first got canion I did an experiment on a flat road with two stop signs in 4 miles. Did three repetitions in each direction sticking to the 25 mph speed limit on the D call the way runs. on the N comparison runs I accelerated gently to 27 then coasted in N down to 23 mph repeated over and over for the route. Using neutral in this low speed controlled experiment was 6% more efficient averaged over the three (six trips total) runs. I don’t figure it is useful or reasonable in that situation to go to all that trouble for 6%, but interesting that it did work out more efficient to do all the shifting.

When you are on the highway where is your needle and what is your speed?

There isn’t much in the way of flat freeway around here. When climbing to the canyon or climbing through it (speed limit 65mph) the needle will be between the first and second mark on the gauge. Likely averaging halfway between (~1.5C). this can be reduced to more like 1C by drafting near the speed limit. On the way back going down hill maintaining speed in a drive mode it is in the green zone at 17 to 21 amps out of the battery. Shifting to Neutral on long stretches of this freeway decent it goes to zero while speed is maintained or almost maintained. I use drafting quite a bit for the best numbers on the freeway. Always staying 2 seconds back, a Semi truck, RV, Van or large SUV are all good candidates. Drafting on the downhill return leg requires a periodic shift into D to maintain a safe following distance. Since the drafting, reducing aero drag combined with the grade results in a slow build up of speed in N

And anything else you can think of.....

The most important tip is don’t let that Amp needle jump around all over the place it should move slowly and methodically. On a hiking trip drive I average 3.2 to 3.5 mi/kWh (depending on drafting and prevailing winds etc.) when climbing climbing climbing to the trailhead. With lots of coasting and some regen coming back to the valley, that leg of the trip will range between 10.8 and 11.2 mi/kWh. As seen in other parts of the forum. Quantitative analysis shows that only about 25% to 30 % the power used to climb to altitude is returned to the battery by regen. Some of that of course is lost to aero and rolling resistance both directions but still, it is what it is.

IMO B mode is for the most efficient "jack rabbit" driving. "Jack rabbit" driving is by definition inefficient. Nice of Mitsu to account for it as best possible.

Thanks

You're welcome, hope it helps with your long trek. Practice is king!

Aerowhatt

jray3 said:
Bradley's questions are hard to answer- but we can be confident that the driving mode makes absolutely no difference in energy use during steady-state cruising, it only differs during acceleration and deceleration.

But it does matter. If you have canion get mi/kWh (not summary, but instant) on one of the trip panels. Find a nice hill to coast down in N once you figure out what the steady state N coasting speed is. Start at the top at that speed (holding steady speed) in D and check the instant mi/kWh depending on the grade and magnitude of the SS speed, it will be an impressive number like perhaps 16 mi/kWh. Now drop it into N and it will increase by 8 or 10 fold well over 100 mi/kWH. Even on flat ground and low speed utilizing N as much as possible (but hardly practical) there is a 6% advantage to intermittent N usage.

Aerowhatt

Aerowhatt, I completely agree with you and practice what you preach when I'm aiming to extend the i-MiEV's range (and a carryover from my Gen1 Insight practice). Popping the car into N when coming down every little bump in the road is such a habit that I reflexively do it all the time even if I'm not trying to hypermile. Still haven't worn out the D<-->N shifter. :shock:

Your preceding quantitative descriptions have given me food for thought and the realization that I haven't been paying enough attention to CaniOn's instantaneous readings. I'll switch out of metric mode and see how our numbers compare.

As an aside and the debate we were having (a year ago?) whereby I contended that slowing the car down through regeneration would be more efficient than simply coasting in N because of lower aero losses, I simply haven't found a hill steep enough, long enough, and with a steady slope to attempt to prove my point. Your point about the significant power decrease (or miles/kWh increase) when in N may well negate any benefit I had been hoping to derive.

Bradley, I found that a separate dashboard-mounted specific GPS is a very good tool to be able to judge how you're doing during the trip from an efficiency perspective, especially during a long trip. See this post:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=566&p=32038#p25993

MitsiDeer040213.jpg

Aerowhatt,

Thanks so much for the awesome detailed answers! I drove to work this morning using D and N and sometimes B....and I already found myself practicing some of the things you described, like on a very slight downhill I was bumping between D and N and cycling 5mph and I felt like it was very efficient. All of what you wrote helps very much and I think the most important thing is like you said, make everything gradual and to know what tools you have available and to try them and I felt like I could feel when I was being efficient or not.

JoeS said:
Bradley, I found that a separate dashboard-mounted specific GPS is a very good tool to be able to judge how you're doing during the trip from an efficiency perspective, especially during a long trip. See this post:

Thanks Joe. I've considered other gadgets but I've kept coming back to keeping it simple and using just the phone, and even on that as little apps as possible. Less updating, charging, and fiddling and all that.

JoeS said:
Thanks Joe. I've considered other gadgets but I've kept coming back to keeping it simple and using just the phone, and even on that as little apps as possible. Less updating, charging, and fiddling and all that.
bradleydavidgood777, I found it very calming to be able to, at any time during a trip, simply glance at the DTG (Distance To Go) number on the GPS and compare it to the RR on the i-MiEV instrument panel. You might peruse Why I Don't Have Range Anxiety

I don't touch the phone when driving but I do have a mounted Android tablet showing only CaniOn.

Route consideration is super important too. All the data I have been referring to so far. The routes start and end point are at the same location. More importantly the elevation change total is 0 ft for the round trip even if I climb do 5000 ft and then roll back down it.

I did head towards Santa Fe once but ended up bailing out at (the 60% of the way) DCQC that was offline (of course their app said it was online even after I spoke with customer service). Anyway more to the point, the drive is less than 60 miles but it is all freeway and 75mph speed limit. Unfriendly (wide open visibility) to setting up police radar traps, the traffic is often going faster. The clincher is that Santa Fe is about 2,500 ft higher in elevation than Albuquerque. The best most efficient driving is not going make that trip on that highway on a single charge in an iMiev! Long story short, the elevation difference between starting point and ending point matters and matters a lot! Could I make the reverse trip (down 2,500 ft) on the same highway . . . probably.

Aerowhatt

Thats a good point. In this case home is about 300 ft above the shore and its very flat all the way.
So that does mean that it will be harder to get home from the shore. And the wind usually would be against me coming home also. But I have 5 chargers in Glassboro so I should be able to make it there. I think I have to try for the Hippie's place first (72 miles) before trying for Dan Green's (88.5).

Thats a good point. In this case home is about 300 ft above the shore and its very flat all the way.
So that does mean that it will be harder to get home from the shore. And the wind usually would be against me coming home also. But I have 5 chargers in Glassboro so I should be able to make it there. I think I have to try for the Hippie's place first (72 miles) before trying for Dan Green's (88.5).

That's not bad, only 300 ft elevation. But it does have an impact. By the time you calculate in system inefficiencies it takes almost an extra 1/2 kWH to go back home. Smart to have backup and work your way up to longer distances.

Aerowhatt

Back