ecoloco

SE vs ES and Range and Capacity Discussions

Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:46 pm

Hello everyone, I just pulled the trigger on a 2012 IMiEV ES. I am getting it in about 5 days since I bought it in CARVANA (Basically swapped it for my beloved 2003 Jeep Wrangler, too many miles in it although it is in perfect condition). I decide this because I want a car for commuting only, my office is only 16 miles away and I have to fill the Jeep's talk every week, so it makes sense I guess.
The question I have is what is the main difference between the ES and the SE? Does the ES come with the level 3 charger? Not that it really matters, since I'm planning to get a level 2 charger in my garage. It is not specified in the dealers specs. Also, for the public charging do you need to have a card in order to charge the vehicle in public places? I heard that some offer the charge for free. Sorry for the ignorance, but I'm very new to this.

Thanks a lot!

JoeS
Site Moderator

Re: Difference between the SE and ES Models

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:38 pm

ecoloco, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase!

ES vs. SE: good question and I'll have to go back to the original brochure to identify all the changes. Here's a quick snapshot:

The ES and SE vehicles are identical in all major features. Significant differences are that the SE has alloy wheels and slightly better upholstery and DRL/Fog light combo and a better sound system. The SE Premium also has a Nav and backup camera display as well as CHAdeMO DCQC standard.

The ES might have CHAdeMO as well - when you get the car see if there's a little lever on the left bottom of the driver's seat, which would open the left rear sidecover. Otherwise, that cover does nothing.

Charging cards vary, dependent on your location (you might update your particulars http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3196). ChargePoint, Blink, EVgo, are just a few brand names, with ChargePoint quite popular all around the US.

For your commute, the basic Level 1 (120vac) EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) also referred-to as a Charging Station (the charger itself is built into the car) should suffice. You can have the original Mitsubishi EVSE upgraded to be 120vac/240vac compatible with programmable current via http://evseupgrade.com.

To find charging stations and information about them use http://www.plugshare.com and their app. Be sure to review the settings to have them be applicable to your i-MiEV.

All the best, and I'm sure you're looking forward to having the EV grin.

BTW, do you know where your i-MiEV is from, originally?
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

iwatson

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:46 pm

The 2012 model year was the only MY that offered two trim levels. The SE and the ES. In the U.S. The i-miev was also sold in MY's 2014, 2016 and now the 2017, but in one trim level only! The Quick charge feature was optional on the 2012 ES models. It is standard on all 2014's/16's/17's.

As JoeS said, many of us on this forum (imiev owners) have sent the Mitsubishi supplied EVSE off to a company called EVSE upgrade. For $269 plus shipping they can upgrade the stock charging cable to operate on 240V or 120V. This is far less than purchasing a separate 240V EVSE, but on the down side you have to send it off which means you'll have to do without it for about a week. The upgraded EVSE works great. I have two imievs and I've sent both charging cables off and had them upgraded. If you feel that you may be interested in this option just Google "EVSE upgrade".

As far as determining whether a Charge station charges a fee.....again I must re-iterate what JoeS said. The best app for that is Plugshare. Plugshare can identify charging locations that are in your area. These may be fast charge or commercial Level 2 or Level 1. Or they may identify individuals that allow you to charge on their EVSE as a courtesy or People or businesses that offer a outlet for charging but no EVSE. Prices will be noted on the app. As other users use these stations they write comments about the condition of the station or how to find it or their experience when using. They frequently post pictures as well. Visit plugshare.com. There are several Charging networks that require you to pay and may require you to have an access card. But there are also many businesses or cities that provide free charging. These include many car dealers that sell plug-in cars.

As an example, in my area The Chevy, Nissan, Mitsubishi, BMW and Ford Dealers provide free charging. In addition there are 3 Nissan dealers in my area that provide free DC fast charging that is compatible with my Mitsu's. There are also three grocery stores that provide free level 2, a Martial arts studio, a local electrician's office and there is a county park that has a 10 bay level 2 charging center that is free. There are also several downtown parking garages that provide level 2 charging for a fee.

Hope this info has been helpful and it's what you're looking for. With a 16 mile commute you'll likely find out that you will rarely charge up anywhere except at home!
2012 Silver Mitsubishi iMiev ES
2012 Raspberry Mitsubishi IMiev SE Premium
2017 Cajun Red Chevrolet Bolt EV Premiere
2011 Viridian Joule Chevrolet Volt Premium
2002 Forest River Sunseeker 3100
2001 Buick LeSabre Custom
1997 Chrysler Town & Country

mdbuilder

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:56 pm

Charge point at least can be done with the card or the phone app. Best to look at your areas stations on plugshare and sign up for whatever cards are needed. Even the 'free' charge point stations for instance need the card or app to activate the station.
2015 Nissan NV200
2012 I-Miev SE Premium
2009 Mazda 5
2017 Toyota Prius Prime

ecoloco

Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:41 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. Can't wait to get my hands on that car! Hopefully it'll come with the fast charge on the left side. I will keep you posted!

siai47

Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:13 am

If you are in southern Florida and your car is equipped with the CHAdeMO quick charge port, you should look at posts and threads related to battery cooling and make any one of the suggested modifications to your car. It will like you for it and return many extra happy miles of trouble free driving.

ecoloco

Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:39 pm

Hello everyone, I Finally got the vehicle today, but unfortunately it came with only 3 bars of charge and no Level 3 charger. In any case I can't fast charge it anyway because I haven't installed the 240V wall piece, so I plugged it into the regular wall outlet and be patient so I can play with it tomorrow. Now, having the plug share app I don't need to have a card, right?
I'm planning in going to a station with level 2 charging and top it off.

I wish this could have a way to post pictures, so I can share with you.

Thanks again!

mdbuilder

Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:35 pm

You need the app for the network that runs the station, charge point is most common around here. Plugshare should tell you what network for the station you are visiting.
2015 Nissan NV200
2012 I-Miev SE Premium
2009 Mazda 5
2017 Toyota Prius Prime

ecoloco

Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:41 am

Ok, so I left the car charging all night and the gauge reads full, but instead of 60 miles. Plus it gives me a reading of 48 miles. Is this because it was left trickle charging for less than the 22 hours or has the Battery worn out in 4 years?

Thanks again for your help.

PV1
Site Moderator

Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:18 am

The battery could have lost some capacity, but it could easily be how it was driven over the last 15 miles. Take it for a drive and let it charge back up (until the Charge light on the EVSE goes out), then see what your RR is. The harder/faster you drive, especially with AC on a high setting, can pull the RR value lower.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015

2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Driving electric since 2-21-2013.

Return to “Driving the iMiev - Range - Energy Efficiency - Operating Cost”