Don
Site Moderator

Re: Hypermiling the i-MiEV

Tue May 23, 2017 5:58 pm

I suspect most of us use these cars more in urban traffic than in places where we would want or need to use higher speed hypermiling skills. You can still get RR's of 80 or 85 miles in typical stop and go traffic if you accelerate very gently keeping the amps needle well below the mid mark *and* decelerate very gently only using the brakes after you're down to less than 10 to 15 mph. This does mean following an extra couple car lengths farther back than *most* drivers do, so you're not constantly making quick reactions to the changes in speed of the traffic in front of you

It still amazes me how many people drive with their brakelights flashing on and off several times per mile - Try not to be 'that guy'

After 'learning' to drive our EV's this way, I do pretty much the same in the gas powered cars too and the difference in MPG this makes is quite remarkable. I just keep thinking that 'Friction Braking Is Wasting Energy' and try as hard as I can to do as little of it as possible. I've gone more than 100,000 miles on the factory brake pads on a couple cars in the past already, but much of that can be attributed to downshifting manual transmission vehicles - Using constant 'B' mode and touching the brakes as little as possible was an easy thing to learn, given my long history of using minimal friction braking

We still get typical RR's in the mid 70's, in urban settings with an occasional 80 to 85 thrown in when we make trips that involve little to no speeds above 50

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

MalcolmReynolds

Re: Hypermiling the i-MiEV

Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:10 am

I get the impression from some of the replies in this thread that possibly there is some confusion about how hypermiling fits their own use in the city or urban setting. Some of the techniques here are applicable to all driving environments and others are specific to less city oriented driving. For example the tire pressure thing is a no brainer. I have been driving my vehicles at the max sidewall pressure for many years now. You will notice less rolling resistance, better economy, and you will get a lot better tire wear. Simple, safe, easy to do.

For the city driver you still can employ some techniques. Don mentioned don't be "that guy" who is on the brakes, hammer down, on the brakes from light to light. Hypermiling is driver awareness. Watching the traffic, watching the lights, give yourself space, smooth on and off the go pedal. Back off and regen or coast whenever possible. Many times this works very well when watching the traffic lights and timing them. Any time you can avoid coming to a complete stop and conserve any momentum you are going to save energy.

Unlike others here who seem to be concerned about the permanent state of angry distracted and nut case drivers on the road I personally ignore them now. I am going to drive my drive, not worry about the fact that the others around me are insane. I am going to back off early and roll/regen to the light, I am going to easy on the go pedal. I am going to try to avoid coming to a complete stop any time it is possible. If that means backing off really early when I can see the light has changed ahead of me "then so be it" that is what I will do and I will let everyone go flying past me. I will be in the "slow lane" and will be trying to stay out of everyone's path.

I don't just look at this as saving energy, extending range, but largely also the significant reduction in wear and tear on my vehicle. This applies to a ICE, PHEV, or BEV equally.

Also look around for routes to your destination that may be more conducive to your driving. Watch for elevation changes and try to see if you can use them to your advantage. For example many of the local businesses that I frequent for my shopping if I go one way there is a more gradual incline going to the stores, it is a main road with lots of traffic and higher road speeds. However there is another "back way" that is a much steeper climb going to the businesses that is slightly longer way to get there. However I found that by watching the energy consumption even though it is longer I can use that route going back home from the stores and it is largely a coast/regen most of the way home. Plus it is a slower set of side streets with less traffic.

So analyze your possible routes and just think it through. This all works very well for your local driving conditions for locations and areas that you travel often since you know the streets, the traffic lights, and exactly where you are going and where you need to be in the lanes to position yourself for turns etc. It is when you get into less familiar territory that you have to just be situation ally aware and adapt. These techniques are for everyone, not just BEV drivers.

After a while it becomes second nature and I can't personally fathom driving like everyone else. Every time I stomp on the go pedal or twist my wrist on my motorcycle I am very aware of it. It just doesn't make sense, never has, but we all just seem to want to go with the flow. The "flow" is how we got into this mess to begin with. Once you get beyond that "peer pressure" to conform you will stop worrying about what everyone else thinks.

My advice is to just try to stay over in the "slow lane" and let the congo line keep going past. I tell them if they don't like my driving stay off the sidewalk! LOL Most of the time you will see them again at the next traffic light and still just as "angry" as ever. It is their permanent state, don't take it personally.

Hypermiling is not only fun, safe, can save you some money, but you will save your car a lot of abuse in the process. It all adds up to a win for you if you can add some of these techniques to your skill set.

Return to “Driving the iMiev - Range - Energy Efficiency - Operating Cost”