Driving in B mode with the I MIEV

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fondi

Can you drive in B mode in the city all the time? And does it hurt any mechanical or electric components?
Any feed back is appreciated.

Thank you

I drive in B 90% of the time. I'm sure the computer is programed to protect the motor and the batteries. For example, when I leave my house I drive down a hill, loosing 500 vertical feet. If the batteries are not fully charged, the car will regen heavily all the way down. But, if the batteries are fully charged, I get very little regen and have to burn up the real brakes instead. The computer is protecting the batteries from being over charged.

Further, have you seen the number of warnings and cautions in the owners' manual? Mitsubishi didn't miss an opportunity to tell you what not to do. :D If they had any qualms about us driving in B, they would have put a caution or warning in the owners' manual.

If you drive downhill in B with a full battery, will regen strength increase if you turn on the heater since the power is cut back to protect the batteries? Or does the heater not use enough to notice a difference in regen strength?

It will regen harder with the heat on because it is net loss in the system.

So the rule is the drive will not put more power back on the bus then the battery can handle but if you put more load on the bus the drive can put more power from the motor back on the bus.

Thanks. I kind of figured that's how it was set up. This would be a good time to use the heater or A/C for Quixotix (and others with his situation) to save the friction brakes incase of a full charge.

fondi said:
Can you drive in B mode in the city all the time?
I drive in B mode all the time too - I wish it was the 'standard' mode (one click back from neutral) so you don't have to click through all the gates to get it into B and back out

Once you get used to how fast the car slows, you can let off the pedal at just the right point and slow enough to make 90 degree corners without touching the brakes - Using the brakes equates to energy wasted!

Don

Don said:
fondi said:
Can you drive in B mode in the city all the time?
I drive in B mode all the time too - I wish it was the 'standard' mode (one click back from neutral) so you don't have to click through all the gates to get it into B and back out

Once you get used to how fast the car slows, you can let off the pedal at just the right point and slow enough to make 90 degree corners without touching the brakes - Using the brakes equates to energy wasted!

Don
So, driving in B mode, what kind of range do you get on a single charge?

Using B mode (or D or ECO) to slow down is preferable to using the brakes; however, if regen kicks in during normal driving when you DON'T want to slow down and are merely modulating your speed, then you're wasting energy. It's more efficient to coast... :geek:

fjpod said:
So, driving in B mode, what kind of range do you get on a single charge?
We did a 50 mile loop today, some stop and go, lots at 45 to 55 with the A/C on the whole time and the lights and wipers on for the last 15 miles and when we got home we had just over 1/4 tank and 25 miles left on the 'guess-o-meter'

Don

Back