mdbuilder

Re: Miles per Bar/ Range discussions

Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:25 pm

So, as I said
Sounds doubtful @75, the 2000 foot (nearly) altitude gain is going to kill you at high speed.
No go @ 75 ;).
2015 Nissan NV200
2012 I-Miev SE Premium
2009 Mazda 5
2017 Toyota Prius Prime

Phximiev

Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:53 pm

mdbuilder wrote:So, as I said
Sounds doubtful @75, the 2000 foot (nearly) altitude gain is going to kill you at high speed.
No go @ 75 ;).

Per the table at 75, one gets 2.8 miles per bar on the straight and level. I averaged 3.3 mpb at 60 to 65 round trip to Anthem, which is slightly less (.2) than the table shows at 65. On the Anthem test, I lost .4 miles per bar (to 2.9 mpb from the round trip average of 3.3 mpb) due to altitude. At 75, assuming the same adjustments, 2.2 mpb is the result with total pack mileage being 35.2. The trip to Black Canyon City is 39 miles and so out of range at 75 mph. A stop in Anthem though would make it easy.

The trip to Cordes Junction at this point (to avoid any gut renching experiences) requires a stop in both Anthem (1 hour and 17 minutes for 4 bars) and Black Canyon City (probably 2 hours for 6 bars). The trip between Black Canyon City and Cordes Junction is reduced to 18 miles which is doable.

The Anthem stop could be occupied with a coffee/snack and window shopping break. The 2 hours in Black Canyon City could be occupied with a hike.

The downside of course is that we would be: (1) using a city car for traveling, (2) expanding the trip from a 1 hour+ to 4 hours+, and (3) providing wifey with the question of why not rent the Volt again to avoid the whole problem in the first place?

Hmm, I'd still like to climb the mountain tho. And try that portable Chademo thingy also.
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

kiev

Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:01 pm

what about slowing down to 55 and turn on your flashers if you're worried about the traffic?
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

Phximiev

Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:25 pm

kiev wrote:what about slowing down to 55 and turn on your flashers if you're worried about the traffic?

I-17 is not a road where I would slow down that much. Its too dangerous. 5 to 10 below the speed limit (65 to 75) is pushing it as it is.
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

Don
Site Moderator

Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:57 pm

So. . . . every overloaded semi on I-17 going uphill is somehow able to do a minimum of 65 mph??

Get in front of the slowest truck you can find and pace him - Keep him a steady 100 yards behind you and you're not gonna get run over ;)

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

mdbuilder

Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:57 pm

FWIW, as one who will steam up your ass in the left lane with the cruise set at 85 going up a 6% grade - have no issue with anyone going as slow as they want in the right hand lane :)
2015 Nissan NV200
2012 I-Miev SE Premium
2009 Mazda 5
2017 Toyota Prius Prime

kiev

Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:41 pm

Or get behind the slow truck and use the draft--let him break the wind before you and the car will be in regen going uphill...
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

PV1
Site Moderator

Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:39 am

Find yourself a pickup or SUV to draft (that is, if any of them are doing less than 80 :lol: :roll: ). You get the mileage boost without the turbulence. It's too dangerous to get in the slip stream of a semi, and even a half-crazy following distance puts you right in the turbulence. Any further back, you're not saving much.

But I would definitely pace ahead of a semi to defend from passing traffic. Doesn't work too well if you're blocking traffic from the back of the truck :? .
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:00 am

kiev wrote:Or get behind the slow truck and use the draft--let him break the wind before you and the car will be in regen going uphill...
+1

Oh, boy, this discussion has gone off-topic and has split into two separate topics but when I thought I could separate them and start new threads it became too messy (but I still may do that...).

The two topics are:

1) Phximiev trip planning
2) Highway hypermiling techniques and 'safety'

I submit there's a third topic: Trip Time Optimization, taking stopping for L2 charging into account.

TRIP PLANNING
This, to me, is the fun part of planning a longer i-MiEV trip, very reminiscent of a marine navigator preparing for an ocean or coastal passage or a pilot preparing for a flight. Phximiev, I looked on the map and identified the locations you are talking about. Without necessarily divulging your home's location, can you give us a fairly exact starting point and end point for your trip? This will enable us to do some fairly accurate analyses.

HIGHWAY HYPERMILING
This, in my opinion, is the best road sign on US highways (this one is from Colorado):

Having spent over 100K miles hypermiling my Gen1 Honda Insights and being rear-ended and the car totalled by a drunk driver, I have some very strong opinions on this topic.

Here is a detailed discussion as it affects the i-MiEV:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=287&p=20148 (go to my January 21, 2015 post)

Here is a description of the accident:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/honda-insight-forum-1st-gen-discussion/46929-insight-mima-gets-crashed-into.html

My follow-up post there:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/honda-insight-forum-1st-gen-discussion/46929-insight-mima-gets-crashed-into.html#post506729

I hate having trucks following me, as in an emergency I can stop faster than they can and if they hit me I'm dead meat. My present position on this whole topic is that following a truck is safer than driving naked at the same speed because of the visual 'wall' the truck represents to someone coming from behind. How closely one follows a truck has too many variables (safety, legal, aero, etc., including the consideration for a chipped windshield), so I'm not going there.

TRIP TIME OPTIMIZATION
I think a long trip in an iMiEV with only L2 charging along the way merits a discussion. If, by driving slower, you can make it to a destination and then plug the car in while you do something else at that destination, this is preferable to driving fast but having to stop for an hour or so at an intermediate charging point (and cooling your heels) on your way to that destination. I think Phximiev's example will be interesting to continue analyzing, especially with the variable of altitude thrown in. To be continued...
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

Phximiev

Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:47 am

JoeS wrote:Phximiev, I looked on the map and identified the locations you are talking about. Without necessarily divulging your home's location, can you give us a fairly exact starting point and end point for your trip? This will enable us to do some fairly accurate analyses.

Orangewood and I-17 would be a sufficient start and end position. Sometime over the next week or so, I plan on going to Black Canyon City. There are 3 RV camps there with 14-50 outlets. However, I have to call them and see if they are amenable to a EV charging there (for a fee of course). I also have to find out if I should bring (or they have) a surge protector.

I have called one locally and they weren't amenable.
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

Return to “Driving the iMiev - Range - Energy Efficiency - Operating Cost”