Autonomous Attitude Control System?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiev

Has anyone else experienced autonomous self-braking by the miev in a high-speed cornering situation?

Piev Paul told me that his car did that this week as he was travelling a little too fast thru a corner--the car applied braking and lit up an indicator on the dash.

It would be interesting to read the CAN buss during such an event. It seems that the car has a steering wheel angle and torque sensor, also some sort of accelerometer or g-sensor, plus a yaw sensor, (maybe it has pitch and roll also?). So there is some software running to monitor the driving conditions and it will take action in the event that it detects an abnormal or potentially unsafe condition.

i had never considered something like this being part of the traction control system, or the anti-lock braking system--maybe this is anti-rollover...?

The ASC is very protective of the car. It'll engage if I hit the driveway at work a little too quick, and there is a dip in my road that triggers it every time. However, it rarely adds braking force, opting to either cut power or drop regen instead unless I'm definitely sliding.

How fast are you guys going around corners? I've taken Koorz (and Bear for that matter) around turns fast enough where it seems the car will break loose and slide off the road and not have it intervene. Maybe it detected oversteer and tried to correct (applying brake force to the outside front tire)?

Having thrown my Mitsi pretty violently around corners on many occasions, I'll attest to ASC's occasionally unwanted interventions consisting of abrupt regen stoppage and selective wheel braking, especially on rough road surfaces. Normally, it's difficult to even get the tires to squeal, but I'm glad to have ASC for my wife's sake (I know, not politically correct)! It's great that we can disable ASC when we participate in, uh, spirited driving. :roll:
ASC = Active Stability Control

Back