Brake System Glitch

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jray3

Yesterday my brake warning light came on along with the warning sound. :? It's a high-pitched continuous electronic whine that I hadn't heard before. Anyway, no perceptible change in braking behavior, friction, handbrake or regen, brake fluid reservoir is nice n full, and the warning went away when I restarted the car. Conditions were chilly and wet, SOC 80%.
Anyone else experience this?

Was it below freezing? Sounds like something was keeping vacuum from reaching the sensor, or the brake pump wasn't kicking on. If you can pump the brake pedal fast enough, you can re-create this warning because the brake system runs low on vacuum.

Could easily have been a software glitch since it went away after a restart. Way back when, I had a relay clicking like crazy after starting the car, and was loosely related to if the car was putting out power or regenning. After a restart, it quit, though every once in a while it will still click on then off, but always when starting out from a stop when it does it.

This morning, the thermometer at the house said -7 F, though it felt much colder (never checked what the car said). I noticed the brakes were really stiff, but no warnings. The car also had some trouble locking into Park. The lever went to the P, but struggled to settle into the final position.

PV1 said:
Was it below freezing? Sounds like something was keeping vacuum from reaching the sensor, or the brake pump wasn't kicking on.
Nope, twas over freezing, and this happened a good 15 minutes into my morning commute, also after preheat (not that preheat would help vacuum lines) It could have been some ice that dislodged in a line. We have had very humid, foggy conditions with overnight freezes.

Back