Tis the season: snow tires!

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaosEV

It was +26F here this morning, and I'm thinking snow isn't far behind. Just wondering if anyone's bought snow tires yet?

My local tire shop is recommending Dunlop Graspic DS-3 tires for the i ... they're not the most aggressive snow tire out there, but the shop says they've had happy customers with these on small rear-wheel drive cars (think Miata).

The car will be stored and charged in a heated garage, but Taos can get some decent snow and ice accumulation on the roads.

Suggestions?

As a plus, an early Miata ('90 - '93) 5.5 inch wide 14 inch wheel with a 185/60-14 tire on it is almost the same exact circumference as the factory rear tires and the wheel has the same bolt pattern as the i - Could be a cheap way to have a pair of dedicated snow tires without using the factory wheels . . . . easy to swap them on and off anytime you need them

Don

So I called Tirerack and was told these tires are "dealer restricted" meaning the only way to get them is through Mitsubishi.

What about the front tires, are you able to find snows for them?

Take this for what its worth. I've driven some of the most god-awful snow packed roads from Rochester, NY to Niagara on the Lake, ON down the I-90 thruway for a period of ten years starting from 1999 to January 2010 with just all season tires with four different vehicles (1998 Nissan Frontier, 2002 VW Jetta VR6, 2000 Mazda MPV DX, 2008 Nissan Versa). I've never had any problem with slipping and sliding with any of the vehicles. Its mostly wet around here, the plows usually get out regularly to get the snow off the roads. I'll just wait and see how the car does, but more than likely I'll not be upgrading my tires to snows for Mitsubishi i.

Disclaimer: This is just my plan, this may not work in all areas, for all driving conditions or for all skill levels.

An alternative to the Tire Rack is http://www.tires-easy.com. They have two styles of 145/65-15 and two styles of 175/60-15 winter tires in stock, including the DS-3. Prices start at $72.90 for the front and $59.80 for the rear. The DS-3 for the rear are priced at $112.80 for comparison.

Contact them at 877-253-6191 to see if other styles are available.

On that note has anyone looked into getting steel rims for snow tires ? I checked online but did not find anything.

I have some Honda civic rims that I have not tried on the iMiev but they are 15 inch so I wonder if they will fit. The iMiev mags are the same 15 inch size front and rear but I think they are not interchangeable.

Does anyone know the deal with the tires and rims on the iMiev ?

Ideally I would like to get winter tires on steel rims. I found tires at Costco so that's fine but finding rims is a bit more challenging.

Don.......

I think keeping the original Dunlops on here in the winter wouldn't be a good idea. While it often gets warm enough during the day to melt the snow on the roads, the wet roads then freeze as sunset approaches. The local road maintenance is plowing and sanding, no salting. My concerns with the car are rear wheel drive and relatively light weight.

Our local Tire Factory store can get the DS-3s for me, no problem, in both front and rear sizes. They'll charge me $20/wheel to change the tires. Ideally, it'd be nice to have winter steel wheels here too. The early Miata wheels look promising as rears; any ideas for the fronts?

BTW: dealer restricted doesn't mean you have to get them through your Mitsubishi dealer; a tire dealer who sells Dunlops can get them too.

Overnight low here last night was +12F. The snowflake has appeared regularly on the miles remaining gauge.

Gosh, I haven't used snow tires in...35 years. If it gets that bad in NYC, I either walk or take the train, or just sit tight. The plows get to it in a day or so.

I have an appointment with my dealer to mount snow tires tomorrow. ( Mitsubishi Boisevert in Blainville ,QC.)
He said he could get jobber steel rims for the rear at a reasonable price, but not the front.

Wouldn't the dealers have stock wheels for the i at the parts desk? Couldn't you buy the alloy wheels aftermarket to put on for summer, then switch back to the steel wheels for winter (if you have the US ES model)?

PV1 said:
Couldn't you buy the alloy wheels aftermarket to put on for summer, then switch back to the steel wheels for winter (if you have the US ES model)?
There are no 'aftermarket' alloy wheels available in 4.5 X 15 for the front . . . . apparently no steel wheels either, so it's Mitsubishi or nothing, at least for the fronts

You could buy a set of factory alloys from the dealer, but I'd be very surprised if a set of 4 could be had for less than $750

If I needed snow tires, I think I'd try just getting the rears and see how that works out. With regenerative braking coupled with the traction control, I think the car should be pretty driveable on slippery roads and of course we have ABS for friction braking as well

Don

My local Tire Factory shop got me a set of four Dunlop Graspic DS-3s for the car and are holding them for me, pending some snow here. I'll just swap them onto the factory alloy wheels. I'll be sure to report back on how they work out.

Buying an extra set of factory alloys isn't an option for us at $450/wheel. Yikes.

Could snow here anytime now, though we've been having daytime highs in the 60s (F) with overnight lows in the 20s.

For those looking for another snow tire brand -
These we included with the negotiated purchase price for my Miev - my dealer just installed..

Yokahama Ice Gaurd tires

175/60/15 81R

145/65/15 72R

I just checked my EU specs Peugeot iOn and it has different size rear tires!

front is same: 145/65/R15
but rear is: 175/55/R15

so a bit lower... I wonder why?

Accidently tried the i-MiEVs all terrain capabilities today.

Hill climbing with one side in the mud the other on the street. Our ICE car would not have passed that test. Sounded a bit peculiar and it was creeping after I let the other car pass.

It was the brakes gripping the free turning wheel. The other side managed to get us going again and brought us back to the tarmac and up the hill. That should help on snow and ice as well.

Just had winter tires installed at our local iMiev dealer on steel rims - CAD$880+ tax. Pricey! But what can you do? We phoned around and could not locate another source for those skinny front tires...

blake
oakville, on

I've had the Dunlop Graspics on the car for a couple weeks now ... I guess I jumped the gun a bit since we haven't had more than a couple of flurries. I have noticed the tires have a softer feel, even running them at 43 psi, and they have taken around 10% off my range. Not bad for a grippy snow tire running on dry pavement.

I hear ya oakvilleblake,

Just did the same thing and got the rims and the yokohama tire set at the dealer it was just over $1000.00 with tax.

Anyways that's it for tires for us for awhile and we can swap them ourselves if we want.

Don........

Back