Don
Site Moderator
Posts: 2465
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 3:55 pm
Location: Biloxi MS

Re: Premature Tire Wear

Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:57 am

jray3 wrote:So, it was indeed set with too much toe-in from the factory
Actually, if your numbers are correct, you went from a good bit of toe OUT (which is never a good thing for a RWD car) to a small amout of toe IN, which is correct for the car - It should drive much differently now, almost night and day different. I cannot believe that Mitsu shipped your car from the factory with any toe out . . . . it must have bumped something which altered the factory alignment . . . . ever had a minor 'off-road' excursion?

BTW- the service manager got a bit indignant and wanted to know where I got my specs from
The same guy who arbitrarily decided to align your car (which is RWD) using the specs for an Eclipse (which is FWD) is getting testy with you for providing him with the correct alignment specs???? What a guy! Remind us where he is so we can make sure he never touches any of our cars

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1994 Miata 60K miles - Soon to be sold
1979 Honda CBX six into six

NeilBlanchard
Posts: 343
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:26 am
Location: Maynard, MA Eaarth
Contact: Website

Re: Premature Tire Wear

Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:57 am

In one sense, I hope it was off-spec from the factory -- if a random bump or bit of "off road" driving can knock it out, then it is too fragile.

It behooves all i MiEV owners to watch for asymmetrical / feathering wear on the front tires. I've passed this information on to my brother.
Sincerely, Neil

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

acensor
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:17 pm
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Tire pressure and mixed tires

Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:06 pm

Recently at 17,000 miles and 3.3 years noticed the front tires wearing unevenly and excessively ...IIRR it was outside edge scrubbing on both but might've been inside edge.

Thought of getting the alignment, then swapping them left to right is to get some more mileage out of them. Alignment fixed, then swapping them left to right just to get some more mileage out of them. But guy at Les Shwab convinced me to get new tires.

Got me quotes on The original Dunlops and Continental.
The continents were significantly cheaper. If I remember right they were about 100 bucks each, maybe chealer The continents were significantly cheaper. If I remember right they were about 100 bucks each, maybe cheaper.

They did a complete four wheel alignment check for about 80 bucks.
Everything was in spec except toe was out the same amount on both left and right front.
I can't imagine why, but I suspect it came from the factory with that set incorrect. Has anybody else experienced a similar issue on the original front Dunlops?
experienced a similar issue on the original front unlocked
Alex
{this message posted with 100% post consumer recycled electrons}
SE 2012 white with blue trim, powered by PV plus hydro
2001 Subaru Forester L
Two Trek street/trail bicycles optimized for mild around town use

PV1
Site Moderator
Posts: 2864
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:22 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact: Website

Re: Tire pressure and mixed tires

Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:25 pm

The alignment on Bear was all messed up, but I didn't notice it until after I replaced the original tires. Both front tires were pointing right, but I still can't figure out how that car went perfectly straight.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015

2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Driving electric since 2-21-2013.

JoeS
Site Moderator
Posts: 3223
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:47 am
Location: Los Altos Hills, California

Alignment Issues and Discussions

Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:45 pm

We've had alignment discussions in the past but no dedicated Alignment topic, so I moved a few recent posts in here. If anyone has alignment posts hidden in other topics, please send me a PM if you think they're worth moving in here.
EDIT: Note that I have moved the premature tire wear thread from 2012 started by jray3 into this topic. If you'll go back through it you'll see alignment specs.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

JoeS
Site Moderator
Posts: 3223
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:47 am
Location: Los Altos Hills, California

Re: Tire pressure and mixed tires

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:17 am

PV1 wrote:The alignment on Bear was all messed up, but I didn't notice it until after I replaced the original tires. Both front tires were pointing right, but I still can't figure out how that car went perfectly straight.
Because the two rear tires were (are?) also pointing right? :roll:

Also, note the Edit to my previous post.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

acensor
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:17 pm
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Tire pressure and mixed tires

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:11 pm

acensor wrote:Recently at 17,000 miles and 3.3 years noticed the front tires wearing unevenly and excessively ...IIRR it was outside edge scrubbing on both but might've been inside edge.

Thought of getting the alignment, then swapping them left to right is to get some more mileage out of them. Alignment fixed, then swapping them left to right just to get some more mileage out of them. But guy at Les Shwab convinced me to get new tires.

Got me quotes on The original Dunlops and Continental.
The continents were significantly cheaper. If I remember right they were about 100 bucks each, maybe chealer The continents were significantly cheaper. If I remember right they were about 100 bucks each, maybe cheaper.

They did a complete four wheel alignment check for about 80 bucks.
Everything was in spec except toe was out the same amount on both left and right front.
I can't imagine why, but I suspect it came from the factory with that set incorrect. Has anybody else experienced a similar issue on the original front Dunlops? .....


Addendum to the above:
The Continental 141/65R-15's "ECO CONTACT EP TL" were $214 for the pair.
No mileage warranty but lifetime road hazard prorated coverage.
$40 for freight (special order)
$27 for spin Balance (lifetime)
$56 fit AL3 thrust alignment all four wheels.
Total $338 No sales tax in Oregon.

And looking at some old posts I see other MiEV owners ran into buying theirs with front alignment being off enough to scrub edges off the tires. One owner spotted the issue at about 6000 miles IIRR. He was lucky enough to get the dealer to do the alignment under warranty.
Alex
{this message posted with 100% post consumer recycled electrons}
SE 2012 white with blue trim, powered by PV plus hydro
2001 Subaru Forester L
Two Trek street/trail bicycles optimized for mild around town use

MalcolmReynolds
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:27 pm

Re: Alignment Issues and Discussions

Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:05 pm

So was in conclusive that the alignment is out of spec from the factory? Does this only affect the 2012 or does it affect other years also? Did this appear to address the tire wear issue?

jray3
Posts: 1354
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:05 am
Location: Tacoma area, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Alignment Issues and Discussions

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:20 pm

MalcolmReynolds wrote:So was in conclusive that the alignment is out of spec from the factory? Does this only affect the 2012 or does it affect other years also? Did this appear to address the tire wear issue?


'twas my first i front tires that showed feathering quite early on the outer tread blocks, and yes- a proper alignment cured the issue. Though I corner aggressively, the front tire wear has been even ever since.
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 76,000 miles
i-ES traded at 21,648 miles
2000 Honda Odyssey
1987 F250 Diesel
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

Carsten
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:14 pm
Location: USA, Maryland

Re: Alignment Issues and Discussions

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:43 am

I'm at 75,000mi and have to replace my front tires again. It will be the 4th set and all of them wear out excessively and evenly on the outside. I have a 2012. I had the alignment done at Mitsu every time I got new tires. The car was/is always scary on motorway ramps - It starts sliding and the ABS starts rattling, even when I drive in a pack of other cars.
I will try a different tire shop this time, just to see, if it makes a difference.
Are the alignment values from earlier in this tread different from the factory settings?
Any additional advice?
Regards,

Return to “Wheels - Tires”