Bigger alloys

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum.

Due to the geometry of the i-MiEV's suspension system, fitting larger wheels isn't easy. Putting 17 inch rims on would mean near zero tire sidewall. So far, it seems that the calibration for wheel speed can't be changed, so changing the tire circumference of either the front or rear tires will result in the disabling of regenerative brakes as well as throwing off the speedometer.

Just changing my rear tires from 175/60R15 to 175/55R15 resulted in a 4-5 MPH difference on my speedometer, as well as the loss of regenerative brakes, which uses the motor as a generator, slowing the car and putting some charge back into the battery.

It may be possible to get 16" rims, if you can find tires to fit with the same circumference as stock (tires are staggered sizes, so front is different from the rear).

Yes Steve, it's been debated at length, but IIRC nobody has found the right oversize rim combination to keep the right ratio between front and rear circumference. We've also learned that show cars put out by Rinnspeed, etc. probably weren't very driveable, even when the rims and lowering springs are actually available on the market. The lowering springs from H&R cause CV joint damage.
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/rinspeed-tunes-mitsubishi-imiev-twins-31973.html

I once suggested lotus elise oem wheels. 16x5.5in fronts with 17x7.5in rears. I think it might work but I don't know that anyone has tried it.

I'm running 15x5.5in mini cooper wheels all around. Takes some work but I managed to get it to work.

I'm currently driving on 16 inch Opel alloys. A low budget project buying second hand alloys and tyres just to demonstrate that it is possible. (The 165's I had to buy new though, a very rare tyre dimension..)
The car is very drivable, but mileage has worsened by approx 6-7%.
Front: 6x16 ET40 with 5 mm spacers. Tyre: Nankang AS-1 165/50R16
Rear: 6x16 ET41. Tyre: Nankang Ultra Sport NS-2 195/45R16

2016_04_30_18_10_41.jpg

Based on my experience with 16's it should be possible to run 17's as well. There exist 6x17 rims ET35, e.g. here: http://www.autocentrumrk.cz/p133393-4x100_6jx17_et35_vw_opel_honda_renault/
But hard to find. There would be no need for spacers with these.

Tyres could be 165/45R17 front and 195/40R17 rear. I think Nankang AS-1 is the only option for the front tyre dimension.

Back