Don
Site Moderator

TPMS Sensors

Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:04 pm

Wondering if anyone has researched new sensors which will 'talk' to the electronics in the car?

I see lots of Dodge/Mitsubishi compatible sensors on eBay for reasonable prices, but most of them only list Mitsubishi's 2008 or 2010 and older. I did find there are different frequencies used on the newer cars. Does anybody know which frequency our car is?

I'm looking for a second set for some aftermarket wheels and am hoping some of you with different wheels for winter tires may have figured this out - I just don't want to pony up $140 each from the Mitsu dealer when there are obviously cheaper aftermarket ones which will work fine . . . . once we know what frequency we need

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1994 Miata 60K miles - Soon to be sold
1979 Honda CBX six into six

Barbagris

Re: TPMS Sensors

Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:30 pm

Don wrote:Wondering if anyone has researched new sensors which will 'talk' to the electronics in the car?

I see lots of Dodge/Mitsubishi compatible sensors on eBay for reasonable prices, but most of them only list Mitsubishi's 2008 or 2010 and older. I did find there are different frequencies used on the newer cars. Does anybody know which frequency our car is?

I'm looking for a second set for some aftermarket wheels and am hoping some of you with different wheels for winter tires may have figured this out - I just don't want to pony up $140 each from the Mitsu dealer when there are obviously cheaper aftermarket ones which will work fine . . . . once we know what frequency we need

Don

Are you sure your car have TPMS sensors? Indicates how much pressure have each wheel, or only one wheel has less pressure than others? (I don't have that equipment)

Perhaps is a "Indirect TPMS", through ABS sensors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-press ... irect_TPMS

In that case, no problem with a 2nd set of wheels.
...learning...

PV1
Site Moderator

Re: TPMS Sensors

Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:17 am

The i-MiEV (unfortunately, IMO) has a sensor in each wheel. I saw them when I got new tires put on.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015

Driving electric since 2-21-2013.
3 years with the i-MiEV and loving every mile!

jray3

TPMS Thread

Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:17 pm

After searching the archives, I've confirmed that our cars use valve-stem tire pressure sensors with batteries, but are only activated when the wheels are turning.

I've acquired a second set of i-MiEV rims (steel) complete with nearly-new tires from a salvaged car. The tire pressure warning light didn't activate during the first two low-speed test drives, but now starts blinking as soon as I start moving and lights up steady after a minute or so.

Does anyone know if the TPMS sensors have to be 'linked' to a particular car, and whether the sensors or their batteries can be replaced without dismounting the tire?

In full disclosure, this new-to-me set of tires came from a Hurricane Sandy-flooded car, so there's a chance that the sensors experienced saltwater intrusion, though the valves had their caps on and appear pristine. Also of note on those salty steel wheels, the only corrosion was on the welds, which I repainted. That may be something to watch for as cars age in the 'salty road zones'.
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 69,000 miles
i-ES traded at 21,648 miles
2000 Honda Odyssey
1987 F250 Diesel
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt, 170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW, 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" 240 kW, 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

Don
Site Moderator

Re: TPMS Thread

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:15 am

Pretty sure they're not linked to any specific car - There are only a few different sensors and they vary according to the frequency used. I *think* any sensor used on any Mitsu car over the past few years *should* work o any other Mitsu . . . . probably on half a dozen other makes of car s as well

I doubt your sensors were harmed by the flood - They were protected by being inside the tire and with the valve stem cap on them. Since they worked for a little while, I suspect one or more of them must have a weak battery. Yes, you must dismount the tire to change the batteries. If you mark the position of the valve stem on the tire before dismounting, you shouldn't have to rebalance them

It would be interesting to put your OEM wheels and tires back on and then install the steel wheels one at a time and see if it's all of them or just one which is causing the problem

Don
2012 iMiEV SE, White

jray3

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:30 am

Don, how come your solutions always involve work! :o
Oh well, guess I'll one-up ya. I'll put one original wheel back on each evening this week until the warning goes away, and if that doesn't yield a conclusion, then I'll decide whether to test the replacements one at a time, or dismount tires and do a sensor/battery replacement... These batteries should be better than my originals though, as they were on a later-mfg car and haven't been used at all.
2000 Honda Odyssey
1987 F250 Diesel

jray3

Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:07 pm

update- since Don's suggested solution required effort, I went instead to a local Tiny's Tire shop. They threw two possibilities at me. One is that it may take 30 minutes of uninterrupted driving faster than 15 mph to 'link' the sensors, and then when he discovered my tire pressure was 52 psi, that must be the problem, and reset 'em to 36. This was a punt, however, as he didn't have the i-MiEV listed in his TPMS database, and didn't get lucky on the first try with a scan tool.

Of course many of us have run elevated pressures without a TPMS issue, but I'll give the 30 minute cruise a try before I start changing wheels again. We'll see if free advice was worth the price.
2000 Honda Odyssey
1987 F250 Diesel

RobertC

Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:53 pm

jray3 wrote:Does anyone know if the TPMS sensors have to be 'linked' to a particular car, and whether the sensors or their batteries can be replaced without dismounting the tire?

From the Service Manual:

The service manual states that the Mitsubishi M.U.T.-III Scan Tool is required to get the car's computer to recognize the new tire pressure sensors. When I was range testing tires I swapped wheels on two Mitsubishi i EV's and the TPMS warning lights illuminated on both vehicles. The TPMS lights went out when I returned the wheels to the proper vehicle. The TPMS warning light is set to come on for low tire pressure only and will illuminate when the tire pressure is below 28.6psi. The TPMS warning light also comes on for three seconds when the vehicle is started.
Perhaps the Mitsubishi dealer would not charge you too much to use their scan tool to register your new TPMS transmitters with your car.

Also, the tire does have to be removed from the rim to replace the TPMS transmitters. The service manual dedicates five pages and seventeen drawings to replacing a TPMS transmitter.
"Silver" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES - 5/21/2012
"Purple" - 2012 Raspberry Metallic ES with QC - 4/10/2013

Don
Site Moderator

Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:59 pm

Thanks Robert

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/channel ... sport.aspx

I'm guessing the procedure is probably similar on our cars

Sad, because other makes and models use a procedure which can be done by the owner without a trip to the dealership. Imagine having to go through this twice per year when installing and removing snow tires :roll:

Maybe something like this will work for us???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gntvc9XAz8

But, likely not
http://orotekusa.com/TPMSResetProcedure ... Mitsubishi Model:i-MiEV Sub-Model:SE Year:2012, 2013, 2014

I guess when you drive an EV which almost never needs servicing, the dealers are only too happy to have you come in and pay for procedures just like this . . . .

Don
2012 iMiEV SE, White

sventchik

Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:19 am

Also, cars who don't have TPMS (as the ion and the c-zero), you could install that :

http://www.cubelec.com.tw/uni-sensor-en.php

It fists almost all modern cars !

Return to “Wheels - Tires”