BARS STATE OF CHARGE GAUGE

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillThompsonMIEV

We all know about the 16 bars. My observation is that I have never seen the bars at a "fractional amount". An example would be to observe the bars at let us say 10.5 bars. I have no devices to actually measure the amount of electricity remaining. Rather I look at the bars and apply JoeS's rule of number of bars desired to fill divided by .8 equals the time it will take to charge to the desired amount. For example I have four bars remaining and I want to charge to 16 bars will take 15.0 hours (12 divided by .8 equals 15.0 hours) using the Level 1 charger. JoeS's rule of thumb is pretty accurate, but I am still wondering about the fractional amount that may be between four and three bars in my example. Any thoughts?

The 16bars are for every kWatt!
If you'll drive very carefully, so that you can hold the green "ECO" range, you've got a distance of about 10Km/1kWatt. :arrow: 16kWatt = 160Km :!:
If you'll drive in the "B" = battery mode you'll get the highest regenerative braking, an very high range is possible.
The air condition(330V/4.5kW) and the heating(330V/5kW) are shorten extremely you range.

I've got insulated the doors and the heater element / heater circuit,
what's good for freezing cold days that's also good for boiling hot days:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=694

The display is only an approximation at best, so there's no real need to try to be more accurate than 1/16th, so the display will only show whole bars

Your approximation of time to charge appears to be working fine . . . . what's the problem? Are you trying to approximate your charge time down to the minute?

I've found that my 240/12 amp EVSE recharges at about 12 miles per hour, and that works for me - I check how many miles are showing remaining on the RR gauge, decide how many miles I want to add, divide that by 12 and that's how many hours I plug it in for. Rather than charging it to full, I usually charge it to about 60 miles (which is usually about 14 bars) and let it go at that

Many of us have our own 'system' for charging - The one you're using sounds about as good as any :D

Don

Don: Just a curiosity question on my part. When I thought about it some more, it is just like you said. The bars are approximate, just like a fuel gauge is on an ICE car. Using bars and RR are the two critical features. BTW, when I am at 16 bars, my RR is usually about 80 or slightly higher when I turn on the A/C. Bill.

I'm about the same, Bill. Even using the A/C as much as we do, (most of the time, every single day) my real world range is between 65 and 75 miles. I regularly see 80 to 85 on the RR gauge after a full charge, which immediately goes to 75 to 78 when we switch on the A/C

I'm thinking once the need for A/C is gone (mid to late October) it should be possible to drive this car 100 miles, given the places we drive and the way we drive it, which is a pleasant surprise considering we went into the purchase believing the EPA's 62 number

I'm very happy with my EVSE Upgraded OEM charging cord - For ~$300 or so, a 12 amp 120/240 portable EVSE is very handy. Even considering it's now my 'back-up' or 'away from home' cord now that I have my variable Open EVSE charger for everyday use in the garage, it was still one of the better investments I've made

Don

Back