Selector Level Position Indicator; Thread # 11

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillThompsonMIEV

Page 3-36 of the owner's manual states to use the "N" position only when the MIEV is in a stationary position for an extended period of time while driving, such as in a traffic jam. Assuming the A/C is off, does taking this action reduce electricity consumption, and preserve the RR while stationary? My memory (such as it is) seems to tell me that if I am stopped at a long traffic light/traffic jam, the RR will decline a bit while I am stopped and the selector level is in D,E,or B. Comments please.

When the motor is in one of the forward driving modes, there is a small 'creep' voltage let into the motor that simulates the idle speed creep in an ICE car. I put it into N whenever I'm stopped for any period of time not only to save electricity but also my brakes howl if I don't keep my foot down hard enough.

It's one of the features I would love to have turned off. When I stop, I went the motor to stop, too.

Ditto to what MLucas posted, it's a minor savings but putting it in neutral during stops does save brake and battery. You can feel the car stop "pulling" when you shift into neutral.

When you are stopped in R-D-E-B and your foot is hard on the brake, it seems to me that the motor drive is completely disabled. If you lift your foot off the brake slightly, you will note the red needle moves up a hair and you will feel the car try to move ever so slightly (indicating power is being consumed). Indeed, as you fully take your foot off the brake the cars starts creeping. The suggestion to use N when stopped simply ensures the motor drive is turned off and you don't have to keep your foot hard on the brake. I do it all the time at traffic lights.

I've noticed when in the forward driving modes the red needle is right beside the green zone, definitely indicating voltage being consumed. When I put it in N, the needle returns to the center of the black zone between the green and blue zones, which to me indicates no power being consumed.

From driving a manual, my habit was to ease off the brake pedal pressure after stopping at a light. I find with the iMiev that this energizes the 'creep mode', so have been retraining myself to hold the brake pedal firmly enough to keep the motor turned off.

Odd that they recommend that Neutral should be used only when the vehicle is stopped . . . .

Don

I have noticed that on occaision while stopped at a light with my foot lightly on the brake, I sometimes get a light bucking action.
Anyone else experience this?

It's possible that from previous ICE standard driving habits I tend to be half on the brake pedal and in slide position toward the amp pedal slightly touching it

sandange said:
I have noticed that on occaision while stopped at a light with my foot lightly on the brake, I sometimes get a light bucking action.
Anyone else experience this?
Yes - I'm pretty sure that's a result of the very soft motor mount that Wee John documented in this video

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=600&p=3380&hilit=motor+mount#p3380

Don

jray3 said:
From driving a manual, my habit was to ease off the brake pedal pressure after stopping at a light. I find with the iMiev that this energizes the 'creep mode', so have been retraining myself to hold the brake pedal firmly enough to keep the motor turned off.

Confirming what Jray3 commented on. The brake pedal does act as the switch for the creep mode. If you find yourself in the creep mode and want to turn it off, simply press harder on the brake pedal and you'll actually feel the 'pressure' turn off. The red needle will also return to the neutral position, confirming 'creep mode' has been cancelled. Funny, I don't recall reading this in the owners manual, must have missed that part.

This may be the bucking action that Sandage is reporting. I feel the car 'bump' a bit when the creep mode is turned off.

MLucas said:
This may be the bucking action that Sandage is reporting. I feel the car 'bump' a bit when the creep mode is turned off.

What I think he is expriencing is three or four 'bumps' when the car comes to a stop, that was one of the original reasons I put the camera under the car.

Back