Range Remaining meter

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

Has anyone else noticed how 'active' it is - It's computing all the time, contantly updating the miles remaing based on what's happening at the moment. I always knew it computed the miles you covered and how you drove them to give you a new total after each recharge, but today I got an excellent demonstration of how it also works 'on the fly' - I think I knew this all along, as switching the A/C on and off really has an effect on the current calculation, but what I saw today still surprised me a little

I had driven several miles at 55 to 60 and as I came into town I looked down and saw 38 RR. As I drove around town for the next 6 or 8 miles, I kept glancing at it. After a couple miles, it went UP from 38 to 39 and after another mile or two, it was at 40. I swear I drove a good 6 or 8 miles in town before it went back down to 38

If your trip looks like it may take you to near the end of a charge and you're driving carefully, trying to get the very best range to make sure you make it back home, it will be down there constantly recalculating just how far you can go based on what you're doing with the car in real time. Pretty neat!

The more I drive this car, the more I love it :D

Don

We notice this effect too in driving around Taos. Roads here are quite varied, up and down hills, rough dirt, gravel, paved, and with a variety of traffic conditions. One road (about five miles long) approaching our home has a very gradual slope. When we're traveling uphill in Eco mode, the RR seems to provide a pretty accurate measure of distance traveled. But when we're going downhill, the RR picks up miles as we drive along.

Inasmuch as we live up a hill, the RR display usually goes UP when we first start driving. The trick is to go to town and put on 10-20 miles and then arrive home with a RR greater than one had when leaving! What's even more fun is to watch the Fuel Gauge go UP when regenerating on a long downhill.

I haven't been able to suss-out how far back in time or mileage the RR algorithm goes. Anyone have a clue how to determine this?

It's been fun trying to predict what the RR will be after fully charging the vehicle. Our driving inconsistency seems to make this impossible, with truly surprising numbers popping up occasionally.

I've come to consider that RR a very valuable instrument on the iMiEV (one that should have a dedicated place on the panel), and it seems to me that Mitsubishi has done a far better job than Nissan with their GOM.

Incidentally, we previously had some discussions under the http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=282&hilit=range+remaining+algorithm thread.

Back