CAN messages for pre-heat / cool and charge start/stop delays

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gorfllub

Has anyone looked for the CAN messages to engage pre-heat/defrost/cool the car while plugged in?

That remote is big and has very low range.

I am installing a typical "remote car starter" with ~5000ft range from its fobs as well as cellular remote control and tracking. These units have several aux outputs that can be configured in virtually unlimited ways. If we have the functioning messages, I could use these outputs to trigger a can bus interface (Like maybe Arduino) to send the proper command.

In normal mode, the remote car starter will put the car into "ready" and can turn on heat or AC as long as the car isn't plugged into a charger. This of course has a negative effect on range, and will rarely be used. But I "can" so what the hell eh?!

Rear defrost is easy enough as it is just a trigger. But looks like all the rest is over CAN.

Hi,
did you find something about the CAN messages for the remote ? I am trying to find out if making a retrofit remote for my C-Zero would be feasible ?

i looked at this awhile back and recorded the CAN buss data while using the remote to turn on defrost.

i have the raw data capture file and a .csv file, and a spreadsheet if you want to pursue looking at some data. If is difficult because we don't know the CAN Ids and don't know meaning of the data fields. Not sure if i posted that stuff over in the Hacking the CAN thread, but i'll send it to you if you want.

I would be interested.

How many times did you cycle the def on and off during logging?

The guys I talk to in the can world like to see it repeated 5x on the log to help them parse it out.

On the flip side, remote start also works while plugged in and climate control will come on to whatever it was set at when leaving the car.

So for people that only want to trigger heat or AC, this is already able to be done with ease. If you want to start/stop charging remotely, that's a whole different game.

Philou - what would your main desired function be for remote access?

Also, have you popped the top of the dash off to see if the connector for the remote module is there? Take off the panel with the tweeters. Right in the center is a metal bracket and that's where the module is in my car. It may be as simple as plugging one in from a wrecked one.

@kiev any chance you still have that sample CSV? I'd love to have it as well -- you did this with the real remote?

looking at the circuit diagrams, the remote module also sends out switched signals for heating/cooling

If you've got an OVMS it should be possible to replicate these

stoatwblr said:
looking at the circuit diagrams, the remote module also sends out switched signals for heating/cooling

If you've got an OVMS it should be possible to replicate these

I do have OVMS, and quite a bit of can logging equipment now. Just lack the expertise to crack things -- also got busy with work :X

To my knowledge no one has ever shared or published the ability to do anything on these cars via CAN. Whether unlock the door, roll down a window, adjust the fan speed, etc.

It seems some closed source individuals have figured some items, and others use a canbridge device for some items.

I lost a bit of energy for this when I realized our current charging solution we cannot start the charging again once it is done. (Apartment, you blip to start it). Which while still of been nice/useful, you'd have to physically go to the car to start the charging/heating again otherwise you will just be reducing range.

I still hope to find some ways to control the car, and have a variety of loggers as well iCarSoft scanner which can actuate things that I can connect with a Y cable to a logger, etc.

I am now debating whether to buy an inline diesel/fuel heater for heating the existing water lines or to go the kiwiEV route and install something in the trunk. If I do the inline water heater method, I would still need to find a way to turn on water pump+blower remotely or i'd still have to be in the car to use it :) If I go the kiwiEV way I can fully automate that remotely(Just guessing can use the OVMS to control the heater as it has pins to use for other tasks, worse case some sort of rpi thing) but I lose the comfort of controlling where the heat goes in the car :)

I’ve come across a project that shares some insight on how to control a triplet:

https://docs.openvehicles.com/en/latest/components/vehicle_mitsubishi/docs/index.html#trio-regen-brake-light-hack

Unfortunately they also seem to struggle with what you are trying to achieve.

Cabin Pre-heat/cool Control: Not currently supported

Yep, ordered an OVMS before I even picked up the i-miev :) Coming from a tesla, being able to see charge state and whether the car was locked is invaluable.

I'm running the backend server myself in GCP. The app for OVMS gives you the information you want, but I did a slight modification for the server to 'never' delete data from the database backend. I then made some simple grafana dashboards + IAP so only my google account can see it.

Now have a very simple view of locked, charge state, range based off the last data transmitted.

The dream ofcourse was to find canbus commands for locking doors, heating, etc. I started some work on making a DBC file for the i-miev based off others findings thus far. That's the only contribution i've done for the I-Miev besides sharing captures i've done.

The only thing i've managed to do is make the dashboard L+R blink like it does when locking/unlocking but that isn't even consistent nor does it actually lock or unlock the car :p

do you think any car remote start would work with imiev? can you link to any products to buy, is there a security module I need too.

Gorfllub said:
I would be interested.

How many times did you cycle the def on and off during logging?

The guys I talk to in the can world like to see it repeated 5x on the log to help them parse it out.

On the flip side, remote start also works while plugged in and climate control will come on to whatever it was set at when leaving the car.

So for people that only want to trigger heat or AC, this is already able to be done with ease. If you want to start/stop charging remotely, that's a whole different game.

Philou - what would your main desired function be for remote access?

Also, have you popped the top of the dash off to see if the connector for the remote module is there? Take off the panel with the tweeters. Right in the center is a metal bracket and that's where the module is in my car. It may be as simple as plugging one in from a wrecked one.

Back