Gorfllub

CAN messages for pre-heat / cool and charge start/stop delays

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:08 am

Has anyone looked for the CAN messages to engage pre-heat/defrost/cool the car while plugged in?

That remote is big and has very low range.

I am installing a typical "remote car starter" with ~5000ft range from its fobs as well as cellular remote control and tracking. These units have several aux outputs that can be configured in virtually unlimited ways. If we have the functioning messages, I could use these outputs to trigger a can bus interface (Like maybe Arduino) to send the proper command.

In normal mode, the remote car starter will put the car into "ready" and can turn on heat or AC as long as the car isn't plugged into a charger. This of course has a negative effect on range, and will rarely be used. But I "can" so what the hell eh?!

Rear defrost is easy enough as it is just a trigger. But looks like all the rest is over CAN.

philou

Re: CAN messages for pre-heat / cool and charge start/stop delays

Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:41 am

Hi,
did you find something about the CAN messages for the remote ? I am trying to find out if making a retrofit remote for my C-Zero would be feasible ?

kiev

Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:33 pm

i looked at this awhile back and recorded the CAN buss data while using the remote to turn on defrost.

i have the raw data capture file and a .csv file, and a spreadsheet if you want to pursue looking at some data. If is difficult because we don't know the CAN Ids and don't know meaning of the data fields. Not sure if i posted that stuff over in the Hacking the CAN thread, but i'll send it to you if you want.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

Gorfllub

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:46 am

I would be interested.

How many times did you cycle the def on and off during logging?

The guys I talk to in the can world like to see it repeated 5x on the log to help them parse it out.

On the flip side, remote start also works while plugged in and climate control will come on to whatever it was set at when leaving the car.

So for people that only want to trigger heat or AC, this is already able to be done with ease. If you want to start/stop charging remotely, that's a whole different game.

Philou - what would your main desired function be for remote access?

Also, have you popped the top of the dash off to see if the connector for the remote module is there? Take off the panel with the tweeters. Right in the center is a metal bracket and that's where the module is in my car. It may be as simple as plugging one in from a wrecked one.

Return to “Instruments - Radio/USB/Nav - CAN - Climate Controls - Remote”