Remote control drains batteries quickly

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Style

Hello,

I just purchased a 2012 iMiev SE model. The remote control came with the back cover missing. I installed some new batteries and held them in with my fingers and it does work. I put some tape across the back to hold them in. However, the 2 coin cell CR2032 batteries drained overnight. A voltage reading taken was 2.75V and 2.8V on the other battery and they no longer will turn on the remote. These were new Energizer batteries (retail pack from Walmart) not cheap internet seconds.

I put a fresh set of batteries in and it worked again, but taking a voltage reading after 5 minutes, the batteries were down to 2.9V.

Has anyone else had this occur?

Something's not right. My remote is either still on the original batteries or on the first replacements (can't remember if I changed them or not. I know I had to put a new one in the key fob). I've had my car for more than three years.

Without the back cover, it is possible there is something in the remote that is shorting something out. it's not a dead short, otherwise the remote would never turn on.

I ended up 3-D printing a new back cover for the remote using a file created by an iMiev owner in Finland. He emailed it to me and I then uploaded it to a 3-D printing site called shapeways.com. They printed it for like $4.40, and since it was my first order, I got free shipping. The cover fits well, but because of the way he designed it, I had to tape the back end of it with Scotch transparent tape. I'm sure it could be modified to catch on the back too, but I don't know 3-D software having only played with AutoCAD for 2-D floorplans many years ago.

Anyway, if anyone ever loses a back cover and needs to print on, its available at http://shpws.me/Mp8d
I don't make any money, just offering it to the community.
If you want the original .STL file to print yourself (or at the local UPS Store or a different online store), send me a PM or email or whatever notifies me.

The battery is NOT draining on me anymore, and it works fine. I think the batteries were sort of half in-and-out and possibly drained from turning it on/off/on/etc all night without the back cover holding them down tight.

Here's a photo of what it looks like installed.
JWjnaAi.jpg

Style, thank you for following up and for posting the link, as that problem was a head-scratcher. Great creative solution thanks to a Finnish i-MiEV owner, and at a dramatically lower cost than Remote replacement.

Back