EvBatMon

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzcoopej

Hi fellow iMiEV owners,
Following from the success of our Outlander PHEV Android App, we're looking for about 10 beta testers for the new iMiEV version of our Android App EvBatMon (Electric Vehicle Battery Monitor). We are not looking to compete with caniOn which is a great App for what it was designed for.

EDIT : The free beta is now oversubscribed, thanks to all those who have contacted us, we'll be in touch with you shortly.

More info here -
http://www.evpositive.com/evbatmon-for-i-miev.html

An iOS version should be available in 3-6 months time.

Our App allows you to track the battery degradation automatically over time and compare it to other iMiEVs eg http://www.evpositive.com/battery-history.html

Finally, I will easy know the remaining capacity. I will buy and use this as soon as it is available. Last time I saw my number was in February, when I went to Mitsubishi with the not working charger. It were 34,0 Ah. As we are in winter, loss of capacity will be in a low rate by this months, so I will expect a value higher then 33,5 Ah. I have certainly the old LEV50, so not well protected from the heat. But with some care I believe I lost , by now, less then 1 Ah/year. This app will tell us if I'm right.

We have released the first version of EvBatMon for iMiEV/C-Zéro/iOn on Google Play. Please contact us if there are any features you would like to see in future releases.

I have the software and it does what it promises. I have 39.5 Ah left on my 2011 C-Zero with around 27k km driven. I got it in 2014 so I don't know how well it has been taken care of. It only had less than 10k before me, so it's probably mostly degradation due to time and not as much kilometers driven. In my opinion time can affect capacity just as much, depending on how you treat your battery.

Took me a while to finally get it to connect, but it did connect and read data. I have 43.2 Ah remaining on an LEV50n pack with almost 9,000 miles on it.

It was giving me an error about an unknown PID (2101). Also, motor torque isn't reading properly. It is always maxed out (I promise it wasn't because of my driving. I was parked).

I've heard that new packs are somewhere around 45-48 Ah. At the nominal voltage of 325.6 volts, this would be a capacity of 14.652 kWh to 15.63 kWh.

Personally, I think my pack's ampacity is too low for being less than a year old, but my range is better than it ever was with the original pack. Of course, we all know that the car doesn't use 100% of the battery, either.

I'm interested to see what the ampacity is for Koorz.

(I believe ampacity is the correct term. In my experience, "capacity" has always been regarding Wh.)

PV1 said:
I have 43.2 Ah remaining on an LEV50n pack with almost 9,000 miles on it.
That is in line with data we are getting from new-ish Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. The biggest loss in Ah capacity occurs in the first year and it tapers off after that. Also, a battery which is newly inserted into your iMiEV may have been sitting around in a spare parts warehouse for months prior to use.
Note that we have found that the Ah capacity of the PHEV can slightly increase at times due to more accurate data (eg full battery to empty in 1 drive) and we suspect the iMiEV might also have the same (however we have yet to see evidence in the iMiEV). Increases recorded in the PHEV are only in the order of 0.2 to 0.4Ah.
PV1 said:
Also, motor torque isn't reading properly. It is always maxed out (I promise it wasn't because of my driving. I was parked).
Lol. Sorry we released the app early due to the number of iMiEV owners dying to know their capacity, so a few features are still not functioning correctly. They will be addressed in a future release.
I encourage you to use the upload feature of EvBatMon to send your battery capacity data to our website so you can compare to other owners. As a community it will give us all great insight into what is happening to our EV and PHEV batteries over time and distance.

FrostyCanada said:
I wonder if the OBDLink MX module is compatible with 2016 iMiEV model year?
I'm confident the OBDlink adapters will work with MY16 iMiEV as we have a number of users with the MY16 Outlander PHEV. OBDLink LX is one of the OBD we test on in development, and OBDlink MX and LX are most common adapters used by our beta testers. If you have this adapter, or can borrow one, its very straightforward to give it a try. If you don't succeed, you can get a refund. Please be sure to contact us in the unlikely event that you have issues.

As I just received a PM I thought this answer might be useful to others -
The iOS version of EvBatMon is currently being developed and we are hoping for an August 2016 release. If you can't wait that long, maybe a friend or family member has an Android phone or tablet you can borrow? Or you can purchase a suitable tablet for about US$30 and leave it in your iMiEV.

I would be surprised if you can get the bluetooth OBDLinks working with iOS. I've read that Apple devices require a special chip on the Bluetooth device it's trying to connect to in order for the two to communicate, and as far as I've read, the OBDLink devices don't have that. Regardless, the WiFi version should work just fine, though.

As for 2016 compatibility, I thought that it was just an issue with some of the battery stats in CaniOn not updating properly due to a smaller pack, but I could be wrong.

That's fine about the app being an initial/early release. Just thought I'd let you guys know about it.

Do you have data on the effect of weather on perceived battery capacity? I know for a fact that the RR will show different readings during winter and summer, but is this based on perceived battery capacity, temperatures or just previous drives? I guess we'll find out soon though, since it's just now starting to get warmer and I'll be watching the Ah reading closely.

jsantala said:
Do you have data on the effect of weather on perceived battery capacity?
We have only been collecting data via EvBatMon since Sept 2015 so its a bit early to tell at this stage.

The more owners who upload their data from the App, the better picture we will get of the contributing factors to battery degradation. Battery degradation data is recorded automatically each time you run EvBatMon, and it is a simple matter of registering on our www.EvBatMon.com website and then using the upload menu in our App to send your latest data to the cloud and compare to other owners. No data entry is required.
Currently each vehicle type is kept separate on the EvBatMon.com graphs, however once enough data is collected we will even be able to compare manufacturers. We currently support the Outlander PHEV and iMiEV, Kia Soul EV is in beta and due for release in 2 weeks. Chevy Spark and Nissan Leaf are in development and due for release in about 8 weeks.

Malm said:
Finally, I will easy know the remaining capacity. I will buy and use this as soon as it is available. Last time I saw my number was in February, when I went to Mitsubishi with the not working charger. It were 34,0 Ah. As we are in winter, loss of capacity will be in a low rate by this months, so I will expect a value higher then 33,5 Ah. I have certainly the old LEV50, so not well protected from the heat. But with some care I believe I lost , by now, less then 1 Ah/year. This app will tell us if I'm right.

I have been using it since 13 of March. I had the luck of being one of the testers. At the beginning I had no access to the app. The STN1170 OBD that I use with CaniOn simply didn't work. I had to acquire a new OBD (D-Link). So only on 13 of March I saw the battery capacity remaining and it was 33,8 Ah. Since then it already drop to 33,7 Ah. That's the capacity today.

I have no doubt that we can see a slightly increase in capacity if we do some charge from very low to full or a quick charge. Nevertheless, it not happened to me yet.

Degradation comes mostly with time, not with distance. I'm sure that one i-MiEV with no miles but stored for one year at 30 ºC will be clearly worst then other with 5.000 miles in one year but where temperatures are around 10 ºC. As time goes on, degradation goes on, but it will exponential increase with temperature.

I will expect to see an higher rhythm in loss of capacity only in summer. In Spring, those rising temperatures will help the battery to think that its capacity is improving, but on the contrary, it will be dropping, so the rising temperatures effect will only be seen in summer.

I believe I am a little in front of most of you in knowing this application. I have done some observations of CaniOn and EvBatMon side by side. Be free to ask something about it, maybe I have already found the answer.

My i-MiEV is now close to its birthday. Next month it will complete 5 years. I feel I lost 15% from the original range (but almost 30% of its original capacity), and I use it for almost of the days, because I rarely do more the 60 miles a day, and it does them without problems.

FrostyCanada said:
Guys, what would you recommend as a good affordable OBD Adapter?

OBDlink LX, MX another brand?

Brian

OBDlink LX or the MX are the best choices. They work with CaniOn and also with EvBatMon. I don´t know other that works with both.

FrostyCanada said:
I thought LX wasn't high speed enough over Bluetooth for canion.
I can confirm that the OBDLink LX definitely works with both EvBatMon and caniOn on the MY10 and MY12 iMiEV. It is one of the OBD we test with on our iMiEV so its first hand experience (ie not just from customer reports).
We have started a compatable OBD list for the iMiEV so please let us know which OBD works and which doesn't to help out other owners, see
www.evpositive.com/evbatmon-for-i-miev.html#OBD

Back