Check charge status?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ICEM4N

Hi,
I am trying to check remotely battery status while charging. I am out of ideas, anyone manage to do it?

Its important when we travel and sometimes I go check if it's still charging, but when I am far away i keep thinking if is charging or for some reason it stopped...

Well, if your car has the MiEV remote, you can check using that, but it may stop charging if you do while on level 2.

What I use is the Open Vehicle Monitoring System. This is a module that gets installed in the i-MiEV and connects to the OBD port. It sends data to a server which is then accessed by a smartphone app. This, by default, gives you much more flexibility in distance from the car, as well as additional information such as location, estimated range, SoC % readout, line voltage and amperage when charging, motor, inverter, and battery temperatures, and charging stopped notifications.

Of course, it requires a prepaid SIM card, but those can be had for as little as $8 a month. If you have decent Sprint coverage, PTel is probably the most affordable. This is who I use.

Nice tip.
Just read about it and it looks what I am looking for.
Will it work on peugeot ion?

My obd lx only reads car data if the key is turned on or if the car is charging. The program also will work only if the car is charging right?

It will remember the values after the car is turned off, so the last known values such as SoC, range, and temperature are remembered and accessible regardless of vehicle state, unless the module is restarted while the car is off. When the car is started or starts charging, the values become live again and update roughly 1-2 times a minute. Vehicle location remains live all the time, as that information comes from the module itself (there are two antennas to install, cellular and GPS).

There is usually no issue with the values not updating when the car is off as the SoC barely drops on our cars. This system was originally designed for the Tesla Roadster, but the experimental build allows use with the i-MiEV and several other cars.

It should have no problem working with the iOn, as the values are the same across the models (CaniOn was developed on the iOn, but works with C-Zero and i-MiEV as well).

There is a thread dedicated to this device. It can be found here:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1786

Back