Video demo of imiev remote

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonDakin

Someone asked for a video demo of the remote control. I was planning to do one and i finally got around to it.

Its a little unpolished and too long but you get the drift.

Unfortunately canion crapped out during the demo and i didnt realize it right away. When has a demo ever gone right first time ? Well the video is uncut and maintains credibility in the oblivious confusion of a frozen data screen. But other then that i think its ok.

Hopefully people just starting to use the remote will find it useful.

Here is the youtube link:

https://youtu.be/rgIM7MIyxLQ

Little edit for some reason two minutes at the end got chopped off of well....

Don....

Thanks for doing all that Don, sometimes it's easier to show and tell and watch and learn, than try to write/read detailed instructions.

Seems like the 3rd time is the charm when sending commands from the remote--i always have to send the A/C cool 3 times before it takes likes it. If you don't know to just repeat sending the command until it takes then you freak out when seeing the 'error' message.

The Canion screen froze when it disconnected after you turned off the initial charging session by sending the start in 2 Hrs command.

I have a question for setting the delayed charging command. It was my understanding that when you set a delayed charging time (2.5H from now in Don's video, for example), the iMiEV would retain that delayed timer setting every time you plugged the car in. Meaning, every time you plugged the car in, it would automatically delay the charge to start 2.5 hours from now. You wouldn't have to keep setting the delay on the remote. The only way to cancel that delay charge was to either set the delay back to 0 hours or to send a manual charge command to the car via the remote.

I swear I remember my remote working in this manner when I first got my Meepster. However, I stopped messing with the delay timer a long time ago since my electricity is on a fixed-rate charge. So, it doesn't matter what time of the day I charge.

I just recently switched my electricity to my utility's real-time pricing program where I will get charged the hourly market rate for electricity. In preparation for this, I'm trying to get back in the habit of delaying my charging until after midnight. I get home from work at the same time every night (6:30 pm). If I plug the car in right away, I can set the delay for 6 hours and have it start charging after midnight.

It used to be that I only had to set the delay on the remote one time. And then every time I plugged in after that, the car would automatically delay the charge for 6 hours. Unfortunately, that feature seems to not be working properly anymore. I have to physically set the 6-hour delay on the remote after every single time I plug the car in now. This would be so much easier and convenient if the car would retain the delay command like it used to.

Does anyone know why the automatic delay function would stop working regularly?

Mine's always been that you have to resend the command each time you plug in. However, the delay in hours would change based on when you plugged in and went to send the delay timer. For example, if I would plug in at 6 PM and set a delay timer for 4 hours so it would start at 10 PM, but the next night, plug in at 8 PM. When I go to send the command, the delay in hours would only be 2 hours, for charging to start at 10 PM.

I've always heard and experienced that sending the manual charge command or cycling the key would clear all timers and the car would immediately charge on the next plugin.

You would initially only have to set the timer once, and each time after that, turn on the remote, hit the right button once, then send. Each time doing this, the car will start charging at roughly the same time every night.

Thank you for your response, PV1. That clears it up for me. I must have just been remembering things wrong. For some reason, I was *mistakenly* remembering that it would automatically delay the charge the same amount each time I plugged. Now that my memory has been jogged, you are correct. I now remember that the remote would automatically adjust the remaining hours to delay the charge so that it would start the charge at the same time each night. I still have to power on the remote and transmit the signal each time I plug in, though.

Got it! Thanks. That was really starting to bother me. Now I'm just bothered by my poor memory skills. Stupid getting older crap is for the birds!

I have another anomaly with my remote and delaying the charge. Every now and then, when I set the delay to start charging a little after midnight, I wake up the next morning to find my car is still charging. This is odd to me since I rarely ever use more than half my capacity during the day (in the summer, anyway). So, it shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours for my car to fully recharge. Checking my TED hourly data, I find that even though I set the delay to start charging just after midnight, the car didn't actually start charging until closer to 5:00 a.m.! This has happened to me on more than one occasion. Any thoughts on that?

Not sure what would cause that.

I rely on manual delay. Before I go to bed, I go down to the garage and turn on the power to the EVSE, which immediately starts charging the car. It's usually done between 1-2 AM. I only use my remote to pre-condition the car. It's usually not a problem if I happen to forget (which hasn't been the case so far), as I use less than 1/2 a charge per day. But, if I do, there is a good hour to charge in the morning if I wake up and don't see a full charge notification on my phone, plus I can charge at work or hit the quick charger on my way.

Don,

Among the top things I wish I knew about the i-miev was operating the remote. You just improved my entire year!!! Thank you...

BenBrown
(the visual learner)

To enable MiEV Remote if the car did not originally have MiEV Remote functionality require just the purchase of the remote control or does it also require the installation of car transceiver?

Secondly, if only the remote control required what is the approximate cost?

elstone said:
To enable MiEV Remote if the car did not originally have MiEV Remote functionality require just the purchase of the remote control or does it also require the installation of car transceiver?
Secondly, if only the remote control required what is the approximate cost?
1) All North American i-MiEVs came with a Remote. Not so elsewhere in the world, and I don't believe it is retrofittable.
2) IIRC, a replacement Remote was about $800 plus $200 for the dealer to program it. Ripoff!

elstone, might you be kind enough to update your profile to show us where you are in the world? TNX

Back