How to make additional 12V outlet?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobakka

I am an addicted iMiev user and have soon been driving it 80 000 km (50 000 miles).
I am an heavy user of gadget and need an additional 12V outlet.
I have a heat blanket for my dogs, I have a DVR camera, I have a charger for my tablet and phone already on the one 12V 10A outlet.
I am looking into making an additional 12V outlet (5 or 10A) and wonder where to get the 12V from.
The main options I consider is from the fusebox or to get a new connection directly from the battery.
Any good suggestions?

At the auto parts store in the electrical section, they sell an accessory called "Add a fuse". To use this little gadget you go to your fuse box, which is under the dash by your left foot. Select a fuse depending on if you want switched or unswitched (On/off with the key or always on). I think I used the cigarette lighter plug which is 15 amp switched circuit ro install a second outlet to run a GPS. Remove the fuse from the fuse box. There are two fuse holders in the add a fuse gadget, one is for the original electrical accessory (Cigarette lighter outlet) and one is for your new circuit. Take the fuse that you removed from the fuse box and put it in the add a fuse slot which is for the original accessory. Place an additional fuse in the second slot, you decide what size based upon your load, then install the add a fuse into the fuse box. There is a 12v positive wire coming out of the "add a fuse", this gets hard wired to the positive lead on your new gadget or 12v outlet. Take the negative lead from you new outlet and ground to the car body. There's a convenient bolt near the fuse box which you can loosen, tuck the ground clamp under it, then retighten. (Because the i-miev is so small, I found it a little tough to work under the dash, but it can be done).

Yes, I agree. Forums are great. :D

I did not know about this "add a fuse" option.

I have located a vendor and will order "add a fuse" any day.

I assume it is the standard "Mini" APM, ATM that will fit the iMiev.

I looked at the fuse box and it is very tough to get to as the car is small.

I assume that I only drill a hole in the plastic fuse box to get the positive 12V wire accessible.

Add a fuse comes in both sizes regular blade fuse and mini blade. The i-miev uses the mini blade/low profile, however normal profile mini blades will also fit. As for drilling a hole, it's not necessary. There's a plastic cover over the fuse box, on one edge of the cover there's a notch cutout that allows a place for the wire to exit with the cover in place, or you could choose to leave the cover off. I put mine back on with the wire exiting the fuse box through the little notch. Guess I should take some pictures but I'm much better at descriptions than I am figuring out how to post photos. Anyway, when you get the fusebox cover off (just snaps off) you'll see the little notch. Just checked it and I have to make a correction, It's actually called add-a-circuit. Found the box I used and googled it and found this link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FIWAP0?ie=UTF8&camp=213733&creative=393177&creativeASIN=B000FIWAP0&linkCode=shr&tag=eauciuen

Back