Climate controls while plugged in, but not using FOB

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatedad11

Just curious if it is possible to activate the heat and A/C while the car is plugged in? I know that it can be done remotely using the key fob, but can one just plug the car in and let it charge, and then turn the heater or A/C unit on and have it work? I tried it today, but got what seemed to be a "No!" answer. The display panel lit up as it does when I have(only 2 or 3X's so far)turned the car on and tried to drive away without unplugging the car, lot's of error symbols on the dash. I guess I could try just turning the car on and hitting A/C or heat, but then I would have to be unplugged...

Thanks,
Lou

You can take the car out of Park while plugged in, but you won't have motive power. You can run the fan, but no heat or AC, unless you added a diesel heater. When unplugged (anytime really), you have to have READY for heat or AC.

Oddly enough, power steering is active with the key on and charging.

gatedad11 said:
Just curious if it is possible to activate the heat and A/C while the car is plugged in? I know that it can be done remotely using the key fob, but can one just plug the car in and let it charge, and then turn the heater or A/C unit on and have it work? I tried it today, but got what seemed to be a "No!" answer. The display panel lit up as it does when I have(only 2 or 3X's so far)turned the car on and tried to drive away without unplugging the car, lot's of error symbols on the dash. I guess I could try just turning the car on and hitting A/C or heat, but then I would have to be unplugged...

Thanks,
Lou
With the car charging at Level 1 or Level 2:
Turn the key to 'ACC' and you can get the radio and the cabin lights to come on.
Turn the key to 'ON' and the climate controls will work. The AC light will come on, but the cars air conditioner will not come on and all you can get is the fan. Same with the heater, all you can get is the fan. The headlights will also work.
Turn the key to 'START' and the car will not start because it is plugged in. (Thankfully, because I have tried to start my MiEV when it is plugged in about a hundred times.)

Of course, any power going to the radio, cabin lights, headlights or fan while your are charging will reduce the amount of power going to recharge the battery.

I make sure to bring the remote with me if I am going to be Level 2 charging away from home on cold winter days. I've let the heater run for a few minutes to take the chill off.

I wish there was a way but have not found a way to do this.

Also, when heating/cooling with the remote, it seems to always run at full blast so if I'm in the car, I have to keep turning it on and off to regulate the temperature...

Back