Instrument Names

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeS

Staff member
Not having an iMiEV yet, and thus no manual, what does Mitsubishi call the following three instrument panel displays? -

1. Fuel
2. Power/Regen
3. Miles-Remaining

Inasmuch as we're going to be referring to these often, do we wish to adopt our own pet names or acronyms for these things?

Whereas the Fuel Gauge is easy to quantify (number of bars remaining) and the Miles-Remaining is simply a numeric, how do we quantify the Power/Regen Level?

Note that the Power/Regen 'Gauge' is broken up into quarters, with the first (Regen) segment already labeled 'Charge' and the second segment already labeled 'Eco'. My own preference would be to call the upper segment 'Leadfoot', but I can't come up with anything creative for the ho-hum mid-portion.

Opportunity for some humor here.

I also don't have my iMiEV yet either (next month), and thus no manual so I'm reading this from my iPad app.
Mitsubishi calls the following three instrument panel displays:

1. Fuel: On the left is "Energy Level Gauge" with the "low energy warning indicator" when 1/8 charge remains.

2. Power/Regen: In the middle is "Eco and Charge Zones." Same meter for two functions plus speed.

3. Miles-Remaining: On the right is "Meter Display" with Odometer, Trip A, Trip B, Meter Illumination Control, Service Reminder (Distance to next inspection), Service Reminder (Months to next inspection)., Cruising Range Indicator.

(4. Then there are MANY indicator lamps like Power Down Warning Lamp (the turtle)...)

I will search for the other indicator lamps names but someone else who has a manual can probably do it better.

All my information is for the NON-US version so things may have changed.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...p9K-SoQHQaiRjHsyg&sig2=8MOvtgFtfHo1PXQbmJ3osQ

"The high-tech instrument panel means intuitive management
All you need to know is right there on the combination meter panel: an easy-to-read visual display of power consumption and energy recovery status, an energy level gauge and a cruising range indicator displays the estimate of how far the i-MiEV can be driven. Meanwhile, the shift selector lets you choose between the D-position for city driving, giving you standard regenerative braking power, the B-position for downhill driving, giving you higher regenerative braking power, and the C-position for a comfortable drive while cruising. With i-MiEV, you’re in control."

Also: Standard Features
•Regular charging cable with CCID (Charging Circuit Interrupting Device; connector on rear right side panel) •Quick charging function (connector on rear left side panel) •Energy level gauge •Regenerative brake system •ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) with EBD (Electronic Brake-force Distribution) •Active Stability Control (ASC) •RISE safety body •15” alloy wheels •Projector type halogen headlamps •Colour-keyed door mirrors
•6 SRS airbags •Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob •Electric power steering

FiddlerJohn and jjlink, thank you for the inputs.

Appreciating that the Leaf camp has already adopted the disparaging name Guess-O-Meter ('GOM') for their notoriously-questionable display, I would hope that the iMiEV's algorithm is a little more accurate and we won't have to denigrate it as well. As a side note, determining State Of Charge (SOC) for large-format Lithium batteries in constant active use is a very significant technical challenge. Couple that with attempting to determine an individual driver's style and you have a truly difficult problem that I admire both Nissan and Mitsubishi for tackling.

Thus, ignoring all the other functions of the right-hand display and making it work for both miles and kilometers, I propose that we should call it the Range Remaining display, as Mitsubishi does. Maybe RR Display, for short?

For the left one, I found Energy Level Gauge technically correct, but personally prefer Fuel Gauge as it is shorter and yet equally descriptive. We can refer to the sixteen gauge segments as 'bars'.

Mitsubishi calls the upper display the Energy Usage Indicator. Energy Usage is simply another way of saying Power, thus if I may suggest Power Level Gauge or simply Power Gauge. The various segments can be referred to, for example, as "Charge", "Eco", "Mid-Range", and "Max".

Anyone care to chime in on these preferences and then maybe we can use them for a while and see how well they play in our discussions?

It looks like the preferred term for Nissan Leaf owners is Leafers. Maybe we should make up a term for 'i' owners, assuming someone else hasn't already done so here or in other countries.

jjlink wrote: Maybe we should make up a term for 'i' owners...

Meever? Maybe written MeEVer or MiEVer? ... :(
ievier, ivier, iever ... :(
How about Electric "i" Owner? :)
... have to start thinking out of the box...

I like Miever (pronounced meever) - however you want to spell it! Simple, like the car itself.

I can just imagine myself coming home from work and telling my husband, "I saw another Miever today!" (And I don't even have one yet, LOL!)

Jenn

Back