Android CAR PC

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malm

Now we can find a variety of Android CAR PC GPS Navigation 2 Din DVD Stereo Player 3G Wifi Radio 1G CPU BT in e-bay. Thus anyone have one and can tell me if canion works on it?

Does anybody have any experience with Android radios? I was thinking about this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Detachable-Tablet-2-DIN-Car-Stereo-DVD-Player-Android-4-0-WIFI-3G-GPS-NAV-BT-FM-/171054507360

You get both a radio and a tablet, that work together as one unit and separately as a radio in the car and an Android tablet. I'm wondering if it has the guts to run CaniOn reliably. Also has capabilities for AV in, USB, and a rear camera.

I'm working on using my table AS my car stereo, gps and canion. Thus no problem with figuring out if it will work or not. I've even made my own docking station in the car, well working on the prototype now. Hopefully, I'll have it upholstered this weekend if I can square away a few more details.

Like the removable tablet radio idea, just a bit pricy for my budget right now. :D
I do wonder what version of Android is on that radio, it says 4.0. The current version is 4.4 and I'm learning this DOES make a big difference. I wish Android's were easier to upgrade and not have to root the system. I just don't understand why I can't totally screw up my own system if I want to. I come from the PC world where I can muck up things as I like.

I just don't understand why I can't totally screw up my own system if I want to. I come from the PC world where I can muck up things as I like.
I know, right? If you own the system, you should have full access to it.

My phone went from 4.1.2 to 4.3, and what a downgrade that was. Now AT&T is shoving another update down my throat, and the only way I've found to stop it is to go in and kill the process and service. Haven't played around with 4.4 (KitKat) yet. I'm old school Android and loved having search and menu buttons, not the action bar across the top, which is why I haven't moved up to the Galaxy S5.

I used to have my old Galaxy S phone set up on the dash to act as a carputer. Being 4-5 years old at least, I was running into battery and speed problems. The biggest thing was it couldn't hold a charge overnight due to a problem with the phone's memory requiring a keep alive app to keep the phone on. It took 3 minutes to startup, and then another minute before I could open CaniOn. By then, I was already 2 miles down the road.

My tablet is too big to use as the radio, but that thought has crossed my mind a few times in looking at these radios. Would you mind sharing pictures and more information of your upgrade?

PV1 - I'll post pictures here as I develop this idea.

The idea so far is:
I found a 12v to 5v power supply to keep the tablet juiced up. I'll splice this into the radio harness adapter. Using Tasker (an android app), I'll use that to power up/down depending on the power from the adapter.

Using the OTG (On the Go) USB port, I'll add in a USB hub so that I can add USB devices to the tablet. I'll use SDR and SDR Touch for the radio, the adapter will plug into the factory antenna using another adapter. The CanIon will be the Vehicle Reporting System and then later I'll add a GPS dongle to add GPS to the tablet.

That's about the most I'll expect out of the tablet is those three functions. I've already stripped the tablet way back and removed most of the internet stuff like the search bar from the interface, as I don't want to use this for any Internet purposes. I'll just use my Windows 8 phone for that.

I installed Nova Launcher 3.0.2 to set up the rest of the tablet, I didn't like how easy it was to move the icons around on the home page and I didn't need five side pages either. I'm down to two and plan to pair it back to just the one. I'm also able to lock the default page.

Now I just have to finish the box I'm making that will replace the radio. I've built it once out of cardboard to test my theory and get most of the dimensions. I built it again out of 1/8" mdf, but some of the dimensions are still not quite right. I'll build it again this weekend. Once that is perfect, then I'll upholster it. After that, I can start buying all of the adapters and parts I'll need.

Does anyone know if the stock radio in the base model (ES?) has an amplifier built in? I have found a small amplifier for a two channel setup that I can plug my audio port into. Just not sure if I'll need that if the car has one already. I'm thinking it doesn't as it's the base radio.

Which SDR dongle are you going (or planning) to use? I'm glad that picking up radio without it being built into the device is now possible. Also, what tablet are you using?

I set my old phone up with Impel and Rotate (to force reverse landscape) so that it would unlock the phone, turn on Bluetooth, and open CaniOn when power was applied, and do the opposite when power was removed. I just used the USB port on the radio to power the phone, but obviously another source is needed if the Android device replaces the radio.

How are you planning to power the tablet and have a USB hub at the same time? From what I've read, you have to use a certain value resistor (which I can't remember the value) between the ground and sense pins to allow both OTG and charging. I believe there are Y cables that allow this.

Nova Launcher, by TeslaCoil Software :cool: . It must be good for it to wear the big T name. :lol: Actually, I just installed it on my Android VM (yes, a virtual machine on my laptop) and it is pretty slick. Maybe that will help make these forced updates less painful.

I had a chance to play around with that launcher some more. I don't think I'll use it on my main phone (I'm too used to Samsung's Touchwiz launcher), but I'd definitely use it on my other Androids.

The SDR Touch app is pretty neat, too. I'll have to get a tuner so I can listen to something other than iHeartRadio at work :lol:.

I wish you luck with this project. It sounds like it will turn out better than the Android radios currently available on the market.

Not to shoot a hole in your plans, but will the SDR Touch app continue playing sound in the background? That wouldn't be much fun if the radio gets cut off every time you minimize the app.

I use caniOn on a Nexus 7 1. gen, connected via cigarette ligther usb-adapter to charge the android device, if the car is "READY". I also use the caniOn setting "auto close" in alliance with app 'plug in launcher' to start/stop caniOn via ignition key. So i do not need to handle the android device/caniOn. It's on, when the car is "READY" and it's off, if the car is not "READY".

Regarding android car pc: i suspect it will not be fast enough to handle caniOn AND at least the radio-app. Also the display has only 800x480, so all the graphs will not look good for me - i recommend at least 1280x800, as known from Nexus 7 1. gen (all screenshots at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=emobility.canion are done on a Nexus 7 1. gen).

Samsung Galaxy S2 has a 800x480 display.

These screenshots are from Samsung Galaxy S2:

u_4QqFbpK0zLaMnmCoeIVd-Vzbz4Ne3bkYZYcvPpt-k=w800-h442-no

pict_2014-08-07_08-05-19.png

pict_2014-08-07_08-05-09.png

Martin

PV1 Questions: Power, the tablet I have has a 2mm power adapter port separate from the USB OTG port. I'll be using a 12v to 5v power adapter that I'll splice into the radio harness adapter to get a keyed 12v power supply. The USB/OTG port will be solely used for the SDR and GPS dongle. Using dongles helps the tablet because the processing is off board not on board, I've read several articles where this is beneficial to use a GPS dongle versus the onboard GPS if your tablet is equipped with one.

My tablet is called a ValuePad VP-111K. I picked it up for like 60 bucks on Amazon, it has a Cortex A9 dual-core processor with 8gb of ram. It says it has the same GPU as the iPad and the Kindle. It seems to run okay, I have not had any problems with it in the month I've had it.

As far as Audio while switching to other apps, I'll see. Don't know how that goes but I'm sure I'll sort it out or just not care or build an overlay that will give me the stats I need while in the radio. Something will work, not sure yet. But thanks for letting me know some of these risks, I'm quite new to Android. I'm a solid PC guy - even look like one - bald, glasses, old - that's me. :lol:

me68 - I've been using the CanIon and the only screen I'm using is the TripTimer. When I'm driving I need quick reference numbers not graphs and charts. Those are too detailed to analyze while I'm on the road. I almost think it would be best to move the analysis to another application and offer a 'lite' interface that has just the basic numbers like Amps/Volts/Wh, etc in a large easy to read format. A clock would be nice as the clock in the notification bar is way too small and removing the radio I lose my clock.

Photos of my tablet dock. This is Model 2, the first design after the cardboard stage. I'm going to build it again this weekend. The sides are still too tall and don't go back far enough, causing the backrest to catch in the reclined position. The backrest needs to narrowed a bit to allow for the upholstery. The bottom board is perfect. It's ugly right now, but once I get it upholstered it should look a lot better. Notice the photo that I have the backrest open, you'll see the shelf in the back that I plan to install the amp, powered usb hub and power supply on to. It makes a perfect area for all of this and the backrest simply tilts forward for easy access. Surrounding this box will be a mask to hide the gaps in the sides and provide a 1" lip on the front to keep things from sliding off the shelf in front of the tablet. The shelf can hold my phone or other small items. I actually think this is a lot more useful than the OEM radio.

10457937_814598375217644_7282455415877290754_n.jpg

10409567_814598251884323_867735160359263672_n.jpg

10410679_814597978551017_6358631443788846407_n.jpg

Bonjour,
About the use of an external USB GPS:

You will need a specific application for instance this one.

I have no ideas how canion will react with this setup...
I am waiting for your feedback.

Xavier

priusfan said:
Bonjour,
About the use of an external USB GPS:

You will need a specific application for instance this one.

I have no ideas how canion will react with this setup...
I am waiting for your feedback.

Xavier

Thanks! :D

This is a new frontier for me, I didn't catch the Android wave years ago and now catching up. Mostly just for CanIon but I am finding other benefits. Currently, I am taking classes at work to learn how to program Android. I am a c# developer, so the language bits are not new - it is mostly learning the framework and where stuff goes.

I will keep you up to date as I get my adapters and finish the installation.

Bonjour
I use now in the iOn an android 2 Din HU.
canion works perfectly, waze also and I can use BT tethering.
see details on XDA

So I caught the bug again and want to tackle this. Originally (this time around) the plan was to use a Windows 8.1 tablet as the radio (especially since I standardized my music to work with Windows Media Player), but after a comparison I found that Android has some key features that pull everything together. Mainly, those are CaniOn, Steering wheel controls via Pebble Watch, and (hopefully) auto music pause when the car is turned off.

Those of you using tablets, how has that been working out? Which tablet fits the opening of the OEM 2-DIN trim the best?

These android HU's have now been upgraded to KitKat 4.4.4.

Usability has improved quite a bit and Canion 125 works a treat....

I did a test fit of my Acer Iconia A500 last night. It fits pretty well in the dash opening, but is not going to fit the 2-din trim. I'll have to get creative to give it a finished look.

The pros of using the A500:
1. Larger screen is easier to see and use.
2. Separate power and (full-size) USB ports.
3. Already own it and don't use it much.
4. Works well playing music with CaniOn open.
5. With Full-size USB, it is easy to incorporate SDRTouch FM radio (no head unit needed, just a line amp to drive speakers).

Cons:
1. No existing dash trim option. I'll have to fabricate something myself.
2. Fingerprints Galore!
3. May not be fast enough to handle some tasks (it is a 4 year old tablet).

Some pictures and a quick demo.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hbu2ifqk5xzrjeo/AAAnuGitk9k4HrLZj08CXylTa?dl=0

What would be a good material to form the trim with? How would painted Lexan fare?

Awesome ! And sweet Music btw ;)

Can't help on the fixes.
Is it going to be permanent or temp?
Before you cut the dash, you might want to figure out if you want a faster cheap cell or another Tablet.

Thanks.

The plan was to be a permanent (but removable) option. I don't need to modify the dash itself, just fabricate a trim piece to fill in the gaps and make it look complete. The line amp and SDR receiver will fit in the void behind the tablet.

I doubt I'll ever run navigation and CaniOn at the same time, and if I do need both, I have my phone or a Garmin for nav. It can run CaniOn 118 (before we could turn off certain screens) and music while being controlled by a Pebble watch with no problem, and that should be the most intensive usage it'll see, so speed shouldn't be an issue most of the time.

The appeal of using this tablet is that I already have it and don't have to buy yet another piece of technology (already own two plus a tablet from work).

I have a Tobshiba Thrive that I bought a few years ago with the intent of having my Daughter use it for reading books on line.

But the only thing we use it for is to play Angry Birds when the Electricity goes out

:)

I got the trim piece mostly done this weekend. I also got the power supply hooked up, so it is functional. I have the tablet set to wake up and unlock when the car is started (actually just a disabled lock screen and setting screen timeout for 30 minutes), and have it go to sleep when the car is turned off (screen timeout set to 15 seconds when power is disconnected). Originally, I was just enabling/disabling the lock screen with Impel automated tasks, but the tablet was locking/unlocking 3 times when starting the car :lol: . Using screen timeout settings and enabling the option to keep screen on while charging works better.

Some pix:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pm3u3nbihm5hfwv/AABtr6akZRwyHzafTk8RWNSWa?dl=0

I still have to:
Order the SDR dongle and amp
Decide on/order a subwoofer (anybody know of a sub that will fit in the secret compartment in the back of the i-MiEV?)
Fabricate vent trim piece
Smooth trim edges
Paint the trim
Find a cover for the tablet screen.

PV1 said:
....I doubt I'll ever run navigation and CaniOn at the same time,....

Bonsoir,
I tried waze & canion, switching from one to the other one without any trouble on my HU during 30 minutes...

Back