broken remote control for charging

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZsoZso

Hi All,

I have accidentally dropped my charging remote control (the thing with the LCD that can setup charging times and pre-heat/cool) and its LCD screen is broken, I can no longer see the numbers I set for the charging time.

Does any of you know any place I can buy a replacement other than the Mitsubishi dealer ?
Because the dealership has quoted me $900 for the thing and I find that incredibly expensive.

Thanks for any tips,
ZsoZso

You will still have to deal with the dealership if you get a replacement. The two transceivers (one in the car and the hand held thingy) need to be coded to talk with each other with the dealer only MUT III. I do have the hand held transmitter. I also have the reciever that mounts under the right side of the dash near the passenger side front quarter window (which should match the signals from the hand held unit without re-programming. However, who knows with these cars. The parts for these cars are outrageously expensive. Over time, Mitsubishi should be able to recoup the entire research and development costs for the I-MiEV EV through the sale of repalacement parts.

That is a good idea. I am sure they will have used a standard sized screen. Paying a small electrical repairer will be a fraction of the 900 dollars surely?

I'm shocked that Mitsubishi is charging $900 for a replacement remote. The first time I get reamed by a manufacturer, I make a promise not to buy any more cars from them.

Happened with GM when they tried to charge me $25 a gallon for antifreeze. And see what happened to GM !

Guess these guys never learn that you can't keep screwing the public...

check out the price for a Nissan Trickle/Emergency Use EVSE replacement in Australia
$AUD3410

while mitsu does it for
$AUD1550

Holden/Chevy Volt unit is
$AUD350
but it doesn't have the Yazaki charge coupler
and is made by Clipper Creek.

Finally, I have a working remote again, thanks to siai47.

It was not an easy journey, I can tell you that!
I have made 3 visits to my local dealership where I bought my imiev, but they could not reprogram the new remote to work with my car -- at least that's what they claimed (more likely they wanted me to fork out the $900 for their device).

So I thought, OK, I just take apart the devices and swap the LCD's since my unit still worked except for the display which was broken. Well that wasn't so easy. Because the lil' devil has 2 screws with some crazy special head, which would require a 3-pronge spanner screwdriver which I could not find anywhere in Google. There are lots of special screewdrivers on sale including 2-pronge spanners and pentaboles for Apple ipad/iphone proprietary screws, but nothing for these screws.

I did not give up, whipped out my trusty dremel tool with a fine cutter blade (designed for tile cutting) and cut a grove into the screws, so I could use a small flat screwdriver to take them out. Mitsubishi had one more trick in the remote, there was a 3rd screw hidden behind the Mitsubishi logo on the front of the device which I had to pry off (it was glued on). Finally I managed to get inside the device and could get the LCD out. Repeat the process for the other remote, put the good LCD in and carefully reassemble. Here is a picture with the finally working remote with the other one still in pieces beside:

imiev_remote_zpsb92e6c57.jpeg

ZsoZso said:
Finally, I have a working remote again, thanks to siai47....
Wonderful! Perseverence and help from siai47 saved you a ton of money. :D Thank you for the details of the operation.

Dunno why Mitsubishi wasn't able to reprogram the Remote as the manual says that up to four Remotes can be used with one car (Page 1-46). IMO it was probably laziness/incompetence rather than greed.

I just purchased a used miev and it did not come with the RF remote. From the sound of it, someone may have a source for a replacement RF remote which is less than $900. Is this true?

I also have the reciever that mounts under the right side of the dash near the passenger side front quarter window (which should match the signals from the hand held unit without re-programming

Do you have a picture of this receiver, and also a picture where it's plugged ?

Hi, I have had the same issue with the remote for my 2012 i-MiEV SE, with the climate control display no longer functioning. I have been to the dealership four times (an hour one way), and I purchased coverage covering remotes, but the head mechanic knows nothing about the car.
He claims that after speaking with a Mitsubishi engineer, he determined that even though the climate control display was working when I bought the car, and the climate control itself still functions (you just can't see which mode it's in on the remote), that my particular edition of the car "wasn't supposed to be equipped with that feature", and that I was "mistaken" about the display previously working, and that Mitsubishi must just disable the display rather than disabling the actual feature on the base models (bull****).
Does anyone know how I can differentiate between the different editions of the car that come with different levels of features? I'm at the point where I'm pursuing this almost entirely as a matter of principle. The mechanic is clueless, and, with the information he does have, is simply erring on the side of not having to spend money.
By the way, this exemplary dealership is Malloy Auto Mall in Woodbridge, VA. Their unresponsiveness and lack of interest in fullfilling their warranty has pushed me to the point where I'm just having to put them on blast whenever possible.

jbmakela said:
(bull****).
Spot on, 100% :lol:

EVERY i-MiEV sold in the US shipped with the remote. How could Mitsubishi "disable" the display without the car being brought back into the dealer? Our cars aren't connected (very thankful for that, Fiat :roll: ), so it couldn't be done over the air (OTA).

To identify the different models, the 2012 ES has all black interior with a silver center stack. The 2012 SE (which is what you have) has brown interior with a black center stack (your car is NOT the base model). 2014 and 2016 i-MiEVs only have one trim level (ES) and have all black interior with a black center stack.

I'd look for a different dealer, but I'd say there isn't any others around you.

[sarcasm] Can I go to this dealer and show him my functional remote on my ES base model? Can I also show him how I plugged in the antenna on the side window and can now be 100 ft. away from the car and have it still communicate? Or would I be "mistaken"? [/sarcasm] :lol:

PV1, Thanks for the validation.
Fortunately I'm still under factory warranty for another couple months, so I am just going to go to another dealer to get it done. Unfortunately I bought independent 5-year coverage from the dealership for wheels/glass/dents/remotes, which is why I continued going back to them. But it looks like I'm going to have to go get my money refunded for that. An equally arduous process I'm sure. :|

Back