GPS lockon to satellites - long time

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g4qber

Sometimes satnav
A) doesn't get a lock at all
B) Takes 30 mins to lock

Volt and golf have no problem

I guess the Volt and the Golf do have a window in the roof where the satellite can look in. The i-MiEV does not but the i-MiEV does have a big window above the dashboard. Maybe that is the place to try your GPS receiver.

I have not tried my bluetooth GPS in the i-MiEV yet but I did receive my WLAN.

Cheers
Peter and Karin

You should get a GPS signal quite quickly on the factory system. The antenna is located just under the dash cover slightly ahead of the "hood" that covers the radio and a little to the right of center. Make sure there is nothing obstructing that area. Hit the "info" button and then "vehicle position". You will see how many satellites are being received and the relative position to the car. You need at least 3 to get a good fix---4 for elevation. My car receives the signal inside a wood roofed garage with no problem.

There is nothing on the dashboard. Acmotor and bruce
on the AEVA forums have taken the sensor out and put it further down the dash. This seems to improve reception.

You won't see the antenna on the dash because it is under the dash cover. At least on the US cars it is exactly where I said it is in my previous post. Did you ever try to see what the satellite positions are looking like on the "info" screen? It could be a big help to see if the car isn't receiving enough of them, how fast they are aquired and if some are being "shaded" by the vehicle or surroundings.

Mine does this too......could be a general problem with the factory install in Aus spec units?

I also have a lot of trouble connecting my phone via Bluetooth...

Acmotor got another phone. All good now.

I have iPhone 3GS (work phone)
And htc one (personal phone)

Just remember to disconnect one before trying to connect another
Else power cycle the car

I've tried my Sony Xperia z and my friend's Huawei and both would pair initially, transfer a few contacts then nothing.
Now it won't even pair although it was connecting every time before.

I'm taking it back to the dealer and telling them to fix it, was working before!

Ok latest is...Aus spec units have the antenna mounted under the hood directly on top of the head unit.
Interference is the likely cause

I got them to move it and they stuck it to the dash cross bar right in the guts of the dash...it was still rubbish.
I eventually popped the hood off and trailed the antenna out on top of the dash and put the hood back.
Not a long term solution but it locks on usually within seconds now.

Also Aus head unit is different...I haven't been able to find . Number for satellites on it, just a signal strength bar graph.

Back