DonDakin

Re: Canion

Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:20 pm

Hello all,

A couple of questions:

I just installed canion 1.5 I think I had version 1.4 for a long time.

When I start it up it seems to sit on the black screen sometimes forever... I reboot the phone and then it will start and work.

Also I have never seen the red AH field come up with anything. I have a "batman" STN1170 OBDII-DEFD dongle that I got when CANION first came out. I don't know if it's filtering out the pid with the AH information or not. It would be nice to know my AH capacity as computed by the car.

Any help would be great...

Don.....

JoeS
Site Moderator

Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:27 pm

Hi DonDakin,

I also used the STN1170 with Canion when it first came out, but it DOES NOT pass through the Ah capacity number. I subsequently bought an OBDLink LX Bluetooth and it works just fine for that and all other functions.

I'm using an ancient Android tablet and occasionally and seemingly randomly am not able to connect Canion with the OBDLink, but that's readily solved usually by just unplugging and replugging in the OBDLink and/or rebooting the tablet and re-pairing the Bluetooth. Note that there is a (two minute?) time limit within which to pair the OBDLink to the phone or tablet after pushing the button on the OBDLink.

Have not noticed a time delay in the app loading.

Good luck!
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

DonDakin

Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:54 am

Thanks for the info Joe and long time no speak....

I took a look around and I see the ODB link MX+ which is compatible with another program for another car That I am interested in. So I would consider buying that one to cover both the imiev and the other car. Does anyone know if the ODBLINK MX+ works completely with CANION ?

Thanks again for the information.

Don....

DBMandrake

Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:59 am

Yes, the OBDLink MX+ works with Canion - I have both an LX and an MX+ and they both work with Canion using an Android tablet and Bluetooth.

Although the MX+ is supposedly a much faster adaptor internally, (as well as more support for cars) I don't notice any difference between them for the purposes of Canion, except that the MX+ boots up much faster when you plug it in.

So if you only need Canion the extra expense of the MX+ is not justified however if you want the MX+ for other reasons then yes it will do Canion too, along with Hobdrive, OBD Zero etc...
- Simon

EV: 2011 Peugeot Ion
ICE: 1997 Citroen Xantia V6

DonDakin

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:05 pm

Thanks DBMandrake for confirming that.

I guess it's time to go on amazon and support the internet economy.

Thanks Again

Don.....

DonDakin

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:14 pm

One more point Joe,

I had a very large (original) database in the telephone which I removed and now it seems to start fine. It's a very old phone perhaps it was just very slow to load the database.

Don.....

DonDakin

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:16 am

OK so I got my ODBlinkMX+ today and magically the AH number appeared... Yeah.... :D

I have 2x2012's and the results are:

95000 KM one gives 36.0 AH

50000 KM one gives 37.3 AH

It's also pretty cold now -4 deg I would expect that number to go up in the spring and perhaps dip more in the summer.

It's interesting to see that for almost double the mileage the difference is 1.3 AH or about 1.3AH*360V/120WH/KM ave summer = 3.9 KM difference in the cars. If a new car is 45.8 AH then i have lost 22% and 19% maybe less in the summer if the car is adjusting for temperatures.

Don.....

DonDakin

Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:19 pm

Hello All,

Question not really on CANION but I was not sure it's worth it to create a new topic for this one.

Since buying the ODBLINK MX+ I am seeing the AH capacity which is the main reason for purchasing this adapter.

But it also came with ODBlink software for the phone and ODB wiz for windows. I tried them both on an ICE Nissan Rogue and they both worked perfectly.

I was wondering if anyone used this software on the imiev ?

Also they have a user defined PID function I was also wondering if that could be used to sniff pid's and display them in that app.

Regards

Don.....

DBMandrake

Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:07 am

The OBDLink app is not compatible with any EV’s including i-miev as it is expecting regular OBD-II pids which are not supported by EV’s.

In fact it will cause the warning lights on the dash to appear as it attempts to probe the car to find out what it is.
- Simon

EV: 2011 Peugeot Ion
ICE: 1997 Citroen Xantia V6

DonDakin

Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:23 am

Hey DBMandrake,

Thanks for the reply. I was a bit reluctant to try this app with the Imiev in case there was a problem.

I just thought it might be useful as it has plotting capabilities and it seems it can read PID's that you put into it beyond the standard ICE Pid's

Thanks for the heads up,

Don.....

Return to “Instruments - Radio/USB/Nav - CAN - Climate Controls - Remote”